Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Condo choices in Detroit

I've been looking at condos in Detroit and none of them seem to have a 2-car garage. Are there any condos in Detroit or inner ring suburbs with 2-car garage condos?

Quote Originally Posted by maverick1 View Post
    I've been looking at condos in Detroit and none of them seem to have a 2-car garage. Are there any condos in Detroit or inner ring suburbs with 2-car garage condos?
    And this is a good pretty illustration why Detroit will never be a "regular" urban city.

Grosse Pointe or St. Clair Shores, maybe. I know there's more of them in Warren the farther north you go. I definitely know they're more common in the affluent suburbs.

Yeah, try the area of GP between Kercheval and Jefferson particularly from Cadieux over to Rivard/Roosevelt. About 1/3 of those blocks are attached homes and I think there are some multiple garage spot situations, though not sure. Many of the townhouses are quite lovely pre-war builds.

Book Cadillac still has 2nd parking spots available for purchase for residents as of 2 weeks ago according to my realtor.

The townhouses on Navarre Place, a small condo neighborhood in Lafayette Park, all have two-car garages. The units are all very big with 3 or 4 bedrooms and multiple baths.

Some of the townhouses in Town Square, a coop development in neighboring Elmwood Park, also have two-car garages.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    The townhouses on Navarre Place, a small condo neighborhood in Lafayette Park, all have two-car garages. The units are all very big with 3 or 4 bedrooms and multiple baths.

Some of the townhouses in Town Square, a coop development in neighboring Elmwood Park, also have two-car garages.
    my condo/townhouse in Brush Park had a 2 car garage. I think most of the units do.

The whole point of City living is to reduce your need to have two cars. Very few condos are made with large families in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Yeah, try the area of GP between Kercheval and Jefferson particularly from Cadieux over to Rivard/Roosevelt. About 1/3 of those blocks are attached homes and I think there are some multiple garage spot situations, though not sure. Many of the townhouses are quite lovely pre-war builds.
    Thanks. I'll look there. Do you have any recommendations in this area?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    The whole point of City living is to reduce your need to have two cars. Very few condos are made with large families in mind.
    We live in the city but our jobs are in the suburbs. It's just the two of us. Not a family.

what are the typical market prices for smaller condos located in Detroit? Are they cheaper in certain suburbs?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    what are the typical market prices for smaller condos located in Detroit? Are they cheaper in certain suburbs?
    I'd like to know this too. I'm early in my search but from what I've found so far smaller condo prices in Detroit aren't bad [[$20K-$50K) but the HOA fees can get crazy.

The Upper Units and the Townhomes in the Brush park crosswinds condos have 2 car garages. Only the smaller lower units have 1 car garages. The upper unit garages are only 1 car wide but 2 cars deep. The townhomes have the standard 2 car wide garage.

I'd like to know this too. I'm early in my search but from what I've found so far smaller condo prices in Detroit aren't bad [[$20K-$50K) but the HOA fees can get crazy.
    In general high HOA assessments will keep the cost of the condo itself down. However in many cases high assessments also come with a lot of bonuses such as pools exercise rooms. Co-ops also are another animal but it covers taxes, insurance, appliance replacements.......

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    And this is a good pretty illustration why Detroit will never be a "regular" urban city.
    And this is a good illustration why your comments on this forum are held in such high regard....

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Mackinaw, almost all of the townhouses in GP are one garage only.

Yeah, I looked at a few in Lafayette Park that were <$50K, but most were Co-Op. One in 1300 I looked at, the monthly fee was higher than it would've been to rent the same place. I can't believe some of the places in the area are selling for over $100K!

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    And this is a good illustration why your comments on this forum are held in such high regard....
    Probably true, which in turn is a good illustration of why Detroit is in the shape it's in.

Probably true, which in turn is a good illustration of why Detroit is in the shape it's in.
    I think it's a better illustration of why the opinions of the suburbs on urban living are kinda jacked, Bham.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    I think it's a better illustration of why the opinions of the suburbs on urban living are kinda jacked, Bham.
    Yeah, probably true.

There's this disconnect here in the region. There's supposedly a want/need for a thriving urban core, yet many of the people promoting this ideal don't seem to understand the "secret sauce" for urbanity. You need organic, market rate, non-auto oriented growth or it doesn't work.

If you want condos with two-car attached garages, and downtown sports stadiums, and expanding convention centers, you can build nonstop from the river to 8 Mile, you're never going to get anything beyond a potemkin village of entertainment uses, and event-specific traffic.

Yeah, probably true.

There's this disconnect here in the region. There's supposedly a want/need for a thriving urban core, yet many of the people promoting this ideal don't seem to understand the "secret sauce" for urbanity. You need organic, market rate, non-auto oriented growth or it doesn't work.

If you want condos with two-car attached garages, and downtown sports stadiums, and expanding convention centers, you can build nonstop from the river to 8 Mile, you're never going to get anything beyond a potemkin village of entertainment uses, and event-specific traffic.
    Astute post, and I detect a latent disappointment in there, too.

Huh what? Ok I'll take one for the team. Please define "regular" urban city.

Funny that you have switched your tone on auto centric thinking. I clearly remember you pounding your chest a few years ago stating that redevelopments like the GAR Building would never happen because there was not enough parking. Ha!!! 180

Yeah, probably true.

Maverick, have you ever owned a condo or co-op before?

in either situation you are essentially becoming a business partner with a bunch of people you have never met. It has been my experience that folks spend more time picking out wallpaper than examining their condo documents. You need to know all sorts of things like, what is the reserve? Who is on the condo board, is there a management company, what restrictions are there...

Every so often you'll hear about some guy who runs afoul of his HOA for planting too many flowers, or having an American flag that is too big.... These stories usually follow a similar narrative where a hapless Vet or senior citizen just wants to do something nice and the mean old condo board won't let him. The point is, for every story that gets press coverage there are thousands of other cases where owners and condo boards clash over simple stuff.

fully review financials. What is the vacancy rate? How many units are rentals? Is there a restriction against rentals? Is there one entity that owns several units? Does that entity control the voting on the Board?

there are a bunch more things more important than size of the garage.

You also need to know whether there are any special fees pending. Is the place going to get a new roof next year? You might blanche at the charge of $4000 appearing in your mailbox if they replace the parking lot, gate, new lighting and security cameras along with a fur lined sauna for the condo president.

i currently own a place in Chicago. With the housing crash and the resulting foreclosures the condo ain't worth much, however, a group of doctors bought up a bunch of the foreclosed units and turned them into rental units. Since they control the majority voting block they passed a few special improvements to the floors they control and gave the rest of the owners the bill.

Let's say you buy into a smallish condo community of 100 units. Are more than 10 of them rental units? Does Fictional Company Incorporated owns 20 units? Will they control the condo board? Does FCI also have a sub named Brother-In-Law Construction? Will BILC charge 100% more to put on a roof, split half that with FCI and charge you for the pleasure?

once FCI turns all their units into rentals, you will find that few banks will loan to condo groups with more than 10% rentals. That means that you will not be able to sell your unit because folks can't get a loans. Bummer for you.

Around town there a ton of condos with sky high monthly fees, you have to wonder why.

oh, anyone need a nice condo in Chicago? Steps from Lake Michigan, Loyola and the Red Line.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast