Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Parking Ticket or Violation

I just wanted to relate an incident that happened to me this morning. I had a meeting at the Guardian Building. I parked on the SW corner of Griswold & Larned which has no meters or parking restrictions. You can park there for free. When I came out, I noticed there was a red violation sticker on my passenger window. It indicted that I was illegally parked, that my vehicle was subject to ticketing or towing, and that my license plate number had been photographed. I thought it was strange that I would get this sticker, which looks like an abandoned vehicle sticker put on my car.

At first, I was angered, but on my way back to my work location, I gave some thought to this. I thought "If I really had a violation, I would've been given a ticket, not a sticker." Not knowing if this was some change by the Detroit Parking Dept, I called them to inquire about it. Amazingly, I was able to get through to not only an actual person, but a supervisor. She informed me that they've gotten several complaints of people getting this sticker put on their vehicles when parked there. She speculates it's coming from someone or entity inside the building on that corner. She reitirated to me that I wasn't in any kind of a violation and that they indeed would give me a ticket not a sticker.

I just wanted to pass this info along in case someone else has the same experience.

Sounds like someone's pissed that those spaces have "fallen through the cracks" of the city's meter/enforcement regime. And perhaps more likely that they're pissed that you are taking up the free space they wanted to park in.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    I just wanted to relate an incident that happened to me this morning. I had a meeting at the Guardian Building. I parked on the SW corner of Griswold & Larned which has no meters or parking restrictions. You can park there for free. When I came out, I noticed there was a red violation sticker on my passenger window. It indicted that I was illegally parked, that my vehicle was subject to ticketing or towing, and that my license plate number had been photographed. I thought it was strange that I would get this sticker, which looks like an abandoned vehicle sticker put on my car.

At first, I was angered, but on my way back to my work location, I gave some thought to this. I thought "If I really had a violation, I would've been given a ticket, not a sticker." Not knowing if this was some change by the Detroit Parking Dept, I called them to inquire about it. Amazingly, I was able to get through to not only an actual person, but a supervisor. She informed me that they've gotten several complaints of people getting this sticker put on their vehicles when parked there. She speculates it's coming from someone or entity inside the building on that corner. She reitirated to me that I wasn't in any kind of a violation and that they indeed would give me a ticket not a sticker.

I just wanted to pass this info along in case someone else has the same experience.
    Ficano is taking out some anger on you for the whooping he took in the primary

An easy way to get that sticker off is to spray/saturate it with WD-40. Let it set and it should come right off.

Quote Originally Posted by freckles View Post
    An easy way to get that sticker off is to spray/saturate it with WD-40. Let it set and it should come right off.
    Hey, thanks for that handy tip.

Another thing that might work is Goop. It's great at dissolving the adhesive left behind by old duct tape.

Speaking of tickets, an expired meter ticket is now a WHOPPING $45! That's Four and FIVE. And you no longer have the discount for paying within 10 days as was the case with the standard $20 ticket where you could pay $10 if you paid it fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Speaking of tickets, an expired meter ticket is now a WHOPPING $45! That's Four and FIVE. And you no longer have the discount for paying within 10 days as was the case with the standard $20 ticket where you could pay $10 if you paid it fast.
    GREAT! I'm going to drive right to Downtown and Midtown to party!

^^^ Park carefully if you're coming to play! I prefer the newer meters that have the debit/ credit card slot... two dollars, for two hours. No need for change!

But where possible if going downtown I try to find a reasonably rated parking structure and do that.

Tell "pony-tail" we'd said hello......

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    It's cool, just take the regional rail... err... uh...

Most of us have, or soon will, smart phones with video cameras. So I advise making video of any parking situations. Parking enforcement is the best run department in the city when it comes to issuing violations and possibly the worst run in maintaining its equipment.

For instance, a couple of months ago I parked, put a quarter in the meter and no time registered. I gambled as it was a ten minute stop and won. Later in the day I parked on Canfield, put a quarter in the meter with the same result. No time registered. This time I lost and got a $45 ticket. So I gathered my video evidence and sent in the ticket requesting a hearing. I presented my video and ticket was dismissed.

Of course there is the 'is it worth it' argument. I spent about 2-3 hours total and some gas, which at by my business calculation [what I could have earned working] was a loss.

But I did it for the experience and a story [Okay I was a little PO-ed too]. Here are some observations. Hearings are at the Municipal Parking Department building at 1600 W. Lafayette in this 'ghetto renaissance' fortress-style edifice. Entrance for the hearings is on the 10th Street side. [red arrow]

Arrive a half hour early so you get to the front of the line. You will notice that there are meters around the building, which of course has its own fenced and guarded lot for themselves, so park for free on W. Lafayette. It is a safe and quiet non-residential area. You will wait in a pit until these doors open at 9, empty your pockets and pass through a metal scanner.

Your hearing will be in this Kafka-esque room complete with ancient cathode ray monitor and computer - that has no apparent use. BTW, staff and security were all pleasant and competent.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by freckles View Post
    Thanks for the tip. This sticker came right off with no problem. BTW, I parked in the exact same spot the next day with no incident.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Most of us have, or soon will, smart phones with video cameras. So I advise making video of any parking situations. Parking enforcement is the best run department in the city when it comes to issuing violations and possibly the worst run in maintaining its equipment.

For instance, a couple of months ago I parked, put a quarter in the meter and no time registered. I gambled as it was a ten minute stop and won. Later in the day I parked on Canfield, put a quarter in the meter with the same result. No time registered. This time I lost and got a $45 ticket. So I gathered my video evidence and sent in the ticket requesting a hearing. I presented my video and ticket was dismissed.

Of course there is the 'is it worth it' argument. I spent about 2-3 hours total and some gas, which at by my business calculation [what I could have earned working] was a loss.

But I did it for the experience and a story [Okay I was a little PO-ed too]. Here are some observations. Hearings are at the Municipal Parking Department building at 1600 W. Lafayette in this 'ghetto renaissance' fortress-style edifice. Entrance for the hearings is on the 10th Street side. [red arrow]

Arrive a half hour early so you get to the front of the line. You will notice that there are meters around the building, which of course has its own fenced and guarded lot for themselves, so park for free on W. Lafayette. It is a safe and quiet non-residential area. You will wait in a pit until these doors open at 9, empty your pockets and pass through a metal scanner.

Your hearing will be in this Kafka-esque room complete with ancient cathode ray monitor and computer - that has no apparent use. BTW, staff and security were all pleasant and competent.

Good luck!
    Thanks for this detail Lowell.

Eh, umm, NO.

I have a reasonable, paid for car -- I choose to 'drive' a car until I cannot. I'll park in a lot to avoid the ticket drama which I usually do. Just got careless recently and earned the parking penalty when my quarters ran out of steam.

Watch out for the meters fellow drivers. Seek the ones that take the debit/ credit card options and make sure you conclude within the two-hour max time allotted.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    It's cool, just take the regional rail... err... uh...

Yeah, make sure you don't get a ticket while attempting to pay off tickets........

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Thanks for this detail Lowell.

Who'z that? Ficano?

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Tell "pony-tail" we'd said hello......