Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Staples Closings in Metro Detroit?

From the Huffington Post:

"Staples Is Closing A Ton Of Stores

The company, facing stiff competition from mass merchants such as Wal-Mart Stores Inc and online retailers such as Amazon.com Inc, said in March it would close 140 of its underperforming North America stores this year.

Staples said on Wednesday it closed 80 of these stores in the second quarter ended Aug. 2."

Does anyone know if any of these store closings are in Metro Detroit?

Also, how's the store on Jefferson doing? It would be a shame for it to be one of the stores that go...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5694418.html

It wasn't a Staples, but I went to an Office Max in Sterling Heights and that place was empty. The most recent Staples I've been to is in Grosse Pointe on Mack. Had decent foot traffic, but kind of light for an electronics store [[by comparison, every time I go to Microcenter, there's a long line at the registers). All these companies are probably going to follow the way of Circuit City so I'm not surprised by these mass closings.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    It wasn't a Staples, but I went to an Office Max in Sterling Heights and that place was empty. The most recent Staples I've been to is in Grosse Pointe on Mack. Had decent foot traffic, but kind of light for an electronics store [[by comparison, every time I go to Microcenter, there's a long line at the registers). All these companies are probably going to follow the way of Circuit City so I'm not surprised by these mass closings.
    Boy, for a guy who feels "uncomfortable because he looks different", you sure seem to spend a lot of time in GP.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Boy, for a guy who feels "uncomfortable because he looks different", you sure seem to spend a lot of time in GP.
    Lol, like I said in that thread, it was just a one time instance at that Kroger. Can't really help it since I kinda live close to GP anyway.

They better not close the one on Outer Drive in Allen Park.

Lol, like I said in that thread, it was just a one time instance at that Kroger. Can't really help it since I kinda live close to GP anyway.
    Just yanking your chain, carry on.

The problem is that a lot of these stores have really weird markups and mediocre prices compared to, say, Amazon or Target. Microcenter [[which I used to work for) has low priced crap, middle-of-the-road stuff and some highend stuff, but focuses on volume of lower priced goods to help boost profits. They are adapting to the new landscape of retail, while Wal Mart, Staples, etc seem to think operating as if this was 1995 is totally acceptable.

I only go to Staples when they are basically giving things away [[Which is surprisingly often). The last couple times I bought reams of paper they included rebates for $25 Visa gift cards and the paper was only $22. Amazon can't beat that, but it's a lousy way to keep the doors open.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    The problem is that a lot of these stores have really weird markups and mediocre prices compared to, say, Amazon or Target. Microcenter [[which I used to work for) has low priced crap, middle-of-the-road stuff and some highend stuff, but focuses on volume of lower priced goods to help boost profits. They are adapting to the new landscape of retail, while Wal Mart, Staples, etc seem to think operating as if this was 1995 is totally acceptable.
    I totally agree. That Office Max I went to had no selection of mice. It was like the dollar store of electronics, but of course nothing was a dollar. Even their office furniture selection just seemed like some random desk and a couple of generic chairs. Even the candy in the checkout area was marked up higher than other places. These companies are pretty much running themselves out of business.

Staples closing 80 means a ton a property waste! That is corporate competition.

My son works at a Staples here in Montreal [[Bureau en gros) and he says most of the time the store is empty. despite this, they stock up their backstore with stuff for this time of year. The back to school period is their Holiday rush really. Everything else is very weak gravy. I think that the parent rush to buy school supplies coupled with teachers dropping by with petty cash in the hundreds from allotted school budgets makes for pretty good business for august september.

I just bought my younger son a macbook with the older son's employee rebate... Can't complain.
    Last edited by canuck; August-26-14 at 12:01 PM.

I totally agree. That Office Max I went to had no selection of mice. It was like the dollar store of electronics, but of course nothing was a dollar. Even their office furniture selection just seemed like some random desk and a couple of generic chairs. Even the candy in the checkout area was marked up higher than other places. These companies are pretty much running themselves out of business.
    You must've been to the location on Ford near Southfield. I went in there a couple of weeks ago to buy school supplies based on their ad. What a dump!

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    They better not close the one on Outer Drive in Allen Park.
    I doubt it. They seem to have a lot of traffic there and is nicer than the one on Mich Ave in Dearborn.

Staples, from what I can see from their website, is changing to something else like I don't know what. It's offering all kinds of non-office type things like clothing, pet supplies, travel accessories, fitness items, party supplies, outdoors & recreation items. I guess it has to change to compete, but there's a certain amount of non-congruence there.

I don't understand why stores like Staples, Office Depot, and Office Max still exist. I get all that kind of stuff either online or at Meijer. I don't feel like paying a premium for a better selection.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    You must've been to the location on Ford near Southfield. I went in there a couple of weeks ago to buy school supplies based on their ad. What a dump!
    This is the other problem with Staples [[beyond running themselves into the ground on an increasingly outmoded business model), there is a significant variation in how well the stores are run and stocked. That one on Ford Rd. is particularly bad.

The one near me on E. Jefferson is actually pretty decent, and has actually improved a bit I think recently [[although their stock is sometimes pretty thin). But still, their proximity in the retail-poor city when I need to instantly obtain office supplies, etc. is the main reason I go there rather than just order online. And I do believe in supporting stores, even chains, that operate in the City of Detroit.

It would be a shame if they closed that store, but comparing its rather light traffic to the somewhat more patronized Mack store, I can see why it might go.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    This is the other problem with Staples [[beyond running themselves into the ground on an increasingly outmoded business model), there is a significant variation in how well the stores are run and stocked. That one on Ford Rd. is particularly bad.

The one near me on E. Jefferson is actually pretty decent, and has actually improved a bit I think recently [[although their stock is sometimes pretty thin). But still, their proximity in the retail-poor city when I need to instantly obtain office supplies, etc. is the main reason I go there rather than just order online. And I do believe in supporting stores, even chains, that operate in the City of Detroit.

It would be a shame if they closed that store, but comparing its rather light traffic to the somewhat more patronized Mack store, I can see why it might go.
    I've been to both, and I think it's the other way around. The E. Jefferson store seems to have far more traffic then the Mack store. I think it's because of the $ Tree.

I like office supply stores, and don't mind paying a little more for the selection. I hope they all stay open.

Then again, I always liked book stores, too. What do I know...

Sounds like we'll be having more Halloween Superstores.

Staples has always carried these items, but in limited quantity. The story I heard on the radio said that they are just changing their strategy to try and garner more business.

I always preferred Staples over OfficeMax/OfficeDepot. I owned my own secretarial/bookkeeping business and brought from them frequently; not so much now that I am mostly retired. Too me, their staff was more helpful and courteous than any other office supply store, except maybe Gail's when it was in Birmingham...but the prices were much higher there too.

I sure hope they keep most of the Staples open...particulary the store in Roseville at Masonic and Gratiot. They were great to me over the years!

Good points and what's up with the mark-up on candy? Like who can't see thru that. Course the incentive plan for used toner is ok. I best make sure my cash-backs are up to date and used before they mail it in! When I want variety on electronics I go to Microcenter.

Good point. I do like have the one in the D. One less trek into the suburbs for a change. And then sometimes a drop into the DT right next door.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I've been to both, and I think it's the other way around. The E. Jefferson store seems to have far more traffic then the Mack store. I think it's because of the $ Tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    And then sometimes a drop into the DT right next door.
    "Sometimes", Zacha341?????

Ye-ah! I saw you over there wearing your shades trying to be all incognito ......!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Good points and what's up with the mark-up on candy? Like who can't see thru that. Course the incentive plan for used toner is ok. I best make sure my cash-backs are up to date and used before they mail it in! When I want variety on electronics I go to Microcenter.
    The sales of candy by Staples/Office Depot and Lowes/Home Depot are just opportunistic sales like the old candy and gum section in the office of the traditional gas/service station. You don't go there for the candy so they mark it up just like 7-11 or a movie theater. It is an impulse buy. If you want to buy candy, go to Walmart/Costco/BJs and buy it in bulk for the lowest price.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast