Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Judgmental Map of Detroit

Okay, this is so over the top irreverent and slams everybody everywhere such that I have to admit it made me smile. Guilty pleasure or hard truths? What do you think? [Click or tap image below to open larger view in new window]

Obviously tongue in cheek, but I would say, generally speaking, reads about 20 years out-of-date, at least with the areas I'm most familiar with.

Thats funny hope you dont mind if i share this

The most insulting thing about the map is that it doesn't include Downriver.

I'll give the author credit though; he/she generally knows the localized variations. For the Bloomfields, for instance, they got the Jewish part, the more Republican part, and the perceived highest class part.

What's with Steve Urkel for Oak Park and formerly rural for Farmington? I guess they got bored?

If I remember right, these are created by skimming through posts on various websites and labeling cities with the most common terms, which is why it may be out of date or Steve Urkel might come up for Oak Park.

For Farmington Hills they should say "corporate transfers doing their time in "Detroit"

Quote Originally Posted by 56packman View Post
    For Farmington Hills they should say "corporate transfers doing their time in "Detroit"
    It needs to be something mean and snarky, in line with the other labels, though. Farmington Hills could be "ethnics who can't afford Novi" or something.

Pretty accurate, lol...

What exactly is the point in this post?

Quote Originally Posted by FormerDetroiter View Post
    To insult everyone!

Though, to be honest, Detroiters and exurbanites get it the worst. Pretty much all the Detroit and exurb labels are a variation on ghetto/redneck themes.

Judgemental maps has become pretty popular website, people submit humorous maps that stereotype the various parts of their city.

http://www.citylab.com/design/2014/0...-jerks/375570/

http://judgmentalmaps.com/
    Last edited by MSUguy; August-25-14 at 12:10 PM.

I know what a judgmental map is. My question was what is the point in posting it here. Most people don't need a map to be judgmental.
    Last edited by FormerDetroiter; August-25-14 at 01:12 PM.

I chuckled.

"Poor strippers" in Warren. Okay, but "rich strippers" in Utica or west of Utica? That makes no sense at all. What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I chuckled.

"Poor strippers" in Warren. Okay, but "rich strippers" in Utica or west of Utica? That makes no sense at all. What am I missing?
    To be blunt, Macomb has a [[probably unfair) rep. for being somewhat more trashy and tacky than the average county. So the "poor" [[enter unsavory profession) would live in South Warren [[aka Macomb's ghetto) and the "rich" [[enter unsavory profession) would live in "Utica" [[really the townships north of Hall Rd.).

I mean, it's all a joke. You really think there are meth labs everywhere in western Oakland County, or "teeth optional" in Waterford? It's just wild exaggerations; you'll find 500k McMansions, not meth labs, in far western Oakland County. Waterford, on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I chuckled.

Good question. I'm still trying to get my question answered.

Every party has a pooper that's why we invited you, party pooper! *Clap, clap*

Dude it's a joke. Self-deprecation. Ever heard of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    ... I mean, it's all a joke....
    Okay, thanks for explaining.

It might have been funnier to say something like "people who put clothes on for tips."

So, Bham, know any nice nannies out your way? I want some phone numbers...

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    So, Bham, know any nice nannies out your way? I want some phone numbers...
    LOL, if I knew, I wouldn't tell.

I just noticed the "Outstanding Falafel" label is a weird one. I don't think 8 Mile Road around Livonia/Farmington has a Middle Eastern community. It's mostly working class whites, in that Clarenceville area.