Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Should this be a goal for Detroit?

Of San Francisco's new residences build since 2000, 88 percent have been car-free.

http://sf.streetsblog.org/2014/08/15...san-francisco/

Does Detroit need this? We have plenty of road capacity and a poor transit network. If the answer is yes, then how do we accommodate those without cars when we are financially struggling?

That might work in California but it would never work here. We just need to fix the roads. Nearly everyone here has a car or two anyway.

Sorry did not open the attachment. After my email signature got stolen and I supposedly sent emails to my whole mailing address list telling people they are, "too fat', I stay a bit Leary.

One phenomena I see is more and more people just walking and biking. Transit needs improvement of course.

The other is a trickle up method of transport which is a treadle tricycle, can carry grocery or even an additional person. Not cheap and some are really tricked out with boom boxes or cattle horn handles or even front extension bars. Those are hilarious. Street dudes are flaunting these.

Glad GP's neighborhood has multiple cars, as did we back in the day. Four was our max. So wasteful. Around here we ride share now. Only 6 cars on our block. Two do not participate. Their loss.