Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The Great Flood Garage Sale

After witnessing unbelievable quantities of flood-damaged sewage-soaked discarded furniture and other belongings lining the curbs of so many homes this past week, it dawned on me that someone looking to make a few bucks might cherry pick items and 'clean them up' and offer them for sale in a garage sale. I know if I was into garage sales, I'd be pretty careful to sniff anything for signs of bleach or other disinfectants.

I was driving down a main street in Ferndale and witnessed some folks scavenging thru pile after pile of discarded stuff. Not good. One home owner said she spray painted her things to make them look less attractive to folks scavenging. What's going to be also crazy will be the water logged cars seeping out into market for the next few years. Buyer beware.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-22-14 at 11:03 AM.

Someone at a car dealer told me a lot of people had been coming in with their check engine light on. Apparently that's one of the casualties of driving through deep water.

^^^ I wonder if the cars that were completely submerged will be refashioned for some use?

People are throwing out stuff that can be salvaged. I mean, why throw out a bowling ball?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    People are throwing out stuff that can be salvaged. I mean, why throw out a bowling ball?
    I agree. Obviously there are many things that can't be properly cleaned and need to be disposed of, but I don't see the problem with people salvaging what they can. IMO Americans have become spoiled and hypersensitive about reusing and restoring damaged items. I still have a cherry clothing trunk that was made by my ancestors in the early 1800's. I'm sure it's been though a few floods over the last 200 years and I'm really glad that none of them tossed it away.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; August-22-14 at 10:52 AM.

About that bowling ball...Perhaps the roller was cleaning out his/her basement from the flood and decided it was time to get rid of other items as well, not just those damaged by the flood.

I occasionally stop at a garage sale, looking for interesting items for photos and I really didn't want to stop anywhere this past weekend. I'm sure flood damaged objects will be part of garage sales for weeks/months to come.