Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dollar General

Default Dollar General

Good news to all of you Dollar General lovers. Dollar General is opening a new location inside Jefferson Village strip mall. Great news!!! Now the community could expect to see a Metro PC, Wig or weave supply store and the occasional party store. Why did I saw this coming?

DG is a decent option for the budget-minded, for certain items. The stores tend to be clean and they tend to have good security [[Family Dollar rarely has a posted security guard and I have a higer robbery rate, especially around the first of the month).

Dollar General sells brand name items such as cleaning and food products at good prices, and they are not a 'dollar' store limited to just things that are a dollar [[such as Dollar Tree). Their 'DG' house brand is a good alternative as well.

[QUOTE=stasu1213;448213]Good news to all of you Dollar General lovers. Dollar General is opening a new location inside Jefferson Village strip mall. Great news!!! Now the community could expect to see a Metro PC, Wig or weave supply store and the occasional party store. Why did I saw this coming?[/Q

Why should this strip mall be any different than the others?
    Last edited by FormerDetroiter; August-20-14 at 08:16 AM.

Dollar Tree Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Dollar Tree Rules!
    Amen to that!! Dollar Tree is the Neiman Marcus of dollar stores.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    I can't stop laughing......

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Why did I saw this coming?
    I see said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw.

the dollar tree by me sells frozen salmon, and it is good, its portion size it about the size of my hand

Dollar General is gonna own Family Dollar lock, stock and barrel if Dollar Tree don't raise it's max bid.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; August-20-14 at 07:04 PM.

I can't believe someone would even bother defending Dollar General. Though it always has a few good loss leaders, it's often overpriced for what you get, most of which is the absolute bottom of the barrel in terms of quality. Want plastic cooking spoons that melt in boiling water? The worst vegetables of the harvest, canned and soaking in obscene amounts of salt?

Yes, Dollar General is great for that!

I won't set foot in the local Dollar General. I don't know about the quality of merchandise there but I do know about the lack of quality concerning their staff and clientele.

No Dollar General is the one. There's only so much you can buy for only a dollar expecting quality and variety......!

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post

That's a point. I don't buy their food stuffs. It's mostly canned, highly salted and processed. But some of their utensils, storage containers and what not are brand name gleaned from over-runs. For some cleaning products, cotton pads for removing make up, batteries, paper towel etc. sure I prefer DG.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    I can't believe someone would even bother defending Dollar General. Though it always has a few good loss leaders, it's often overpriced for what you get, most of which is the absolute bottom of the barrel in terms of quality. Want plastic cooking spoons that melt in boiling water? The worst vegetables of the harvest, canned and soaking in obscene amounts of salt?

Yes, once in a while quality foods turn up and Dollar Tree the dollar only store. One summer they had natural frozen lemon ice treats the brand you'd find at high end stores. Then they were gone. I purchased them while I could. Recently I found frozen spring rolls, no artificial coloring, low salt, only about seven ingredients. Incredible. On par with low process frozen I'd find at Trader Joes. But most of their foods are crud, heavily salted, high frutose corn syrup, dyed and fried and processed.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    the dollar tree by me sells frozen salmon, and it is good, its portion size it about the size of my hand

I'm not hung up about getting food from there beyond snack items.
    For modestly priced bathroom/toiletry/cleaning items/staples, they're not bad.

Dollar Tree Rules!
    agree!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post

Why on earth would you buy a plastic spoon for cooking?

Is Dollar General the finest store ever? No.

Does it provide goods at a fair price to consumers and fit into city-sized lots? Yes.

Does Detroit need retail like this? Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yes, once in a while quality foods turn up and Dollar Tree the dollar only store. One summer they had natural frozen lemon ice treats the brand you'd find at high end stores. Then they were gone. I purchased them while I could. Recently I found frozen spring rolls, no artificial coloring, low salt, only about seven ingredients. Incredible. On par with low process frozen I'd find at Trader Joes. But most of their foods are crud, heavily salted, high frutose corn syrup, dyed and fried and processed.
    Dollar Tree, I've seen has the best stuff. But like most of these stores all the "Dollar Whoever" stores, Big Lots, Christmas Tree Shops, etc that sell wholesale closeout & overstock items, it's hit or miss generally as far as products you want to buy except for those items they always stock such as cleaning supplies & picture frames. Plus the offerings vary from store to store. Dollar Tree does have alot of name brand food that I've noticed. However, offerings aren't the only reason why I like Dollar Tree. Dollar Tree is much cleaner, accepts coupons, and has more pleasant staff than the other "Dollar" named stores I've been in. Plus, it's the only place I can get aluminum foil pans that compare to the $4.00 ones at Kroger for $1.00.

^^^ Got to love those aluminum pans! For sure as you say they are all overstock gleaners of a sort. I find Family Dollar the worst. Most are fairly dirty, lack security, some staffed by rude people and often robbed... otherwise I stick with DG and DT.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Why on earth would you buy a plastic spoon for cooking?
    They're even worse for flipping burgers on a grill.

I still say that Jefferson Village could had a Walmart in the strip mall. I wonder if the owner of the strip mall has the same mind set that the owner of many strip malls in the inner city have. Dollar Stores, Boost or Metro Pcs, and Stores that sells Spartan goods or outdate restamped produce

Don't forget the Pay Advance variation of sorts. But the PA places in the D do have bulletproof glass. Very sad about the woman murdered in the one downriver are that did not have such protection for their employees.

Hah-no need for melted cheese for those burgers!

For a while there Dollar Tree has the whole line of Betty Croker brand spatula, strainer and other plastic kitchen implements. That brand retails for more than a dollar for certain.

They're even worse for flipping burgers on a grill.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-23-14 at 06:11 PM.

I thought that Dollar General was always there to be honest. Anyway, I went in the other day and there's apparently a furniture store opening up a few doors down in the strip mall. How that strip mall is managing to stay open is pretty amazing. There was hardly anyone there when I went through and everyone working there looked bored out of their minds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast