Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Pizza Bowl is no more

Crain's is reporting that the long-running day-after-Christmas Pizza Bowl has been cancelled. It seems to have been bumped out by a new bowl series backed by the Detroit Lions.

"The game, traditionally played the day after Christmas and aired live on ESPN, began as the Motor City Bowl in 1997 and moved to 64,500-seat Ford Field in 2002 from the 80,311-seat Pontiac Silverdome.

The fate of the Pizza Bowl has been in doubt since the Detroit Lions announced in 2013 that they’ll host a new bowl matching Big Ten and Atlantic Coast Conference teams at Ford Field in a six-year deal that begins this year.

“If you look at any city right now, there are very, very few that can support two major bowl games,” Lions President Tom Lewand said in July 2013, adding that the Lions would be putting all of their support behind the yet-to-be-named Big Ten/ACC bowl.

The Lions-backed college game is scheduled for 4:30 p.m. Dec. 26, according to the NCAA’s official 2014 bowl lineup. That had been the Pizza Bowl’s spot in the bowl schedule in the past.

Hoffman told Crain’s last year that he’d been in talks with Little Caesars’ co-founder Mike Ilitch to possibly relocate the Pizza Bowl across the street to 45,000-seat Comerica Park. That idea has not gone anywhere."

Such a great source of jokes, gone far too early

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    Such a great source of jokes, gone far too early
    That could have been an excellent bowl game if the B1G hadn't sabotaged their own bowl by getting so many other bowls that they rarely placed a team in it.

The CMU/Purdue game was as good a bowl game as one will see. The crowd was around 60K.

My guess if the bowl is Maryland [[B1G - in case you forgot) vs. Ga Tech the small crowds will ask: "Where's the pizza?" [[I think Detroit is the pizza capital of the world)

I'm sure fans from Atlanta [[it is warmer down there) or D.C. [["Vacationing in Detroit, are you kidding me - there are no ocean beaches there... I thought this would be Ocean City, not Motor City") will stay away in droves.
    Last edited by emu steve; August-20-14 at 12:36 PM.

OH NO! Where will Laverne and Shirley meet up with the Big Ragu, Lenny, Squiggy, Mr Dafzio, Edna Babish, Big Rosie, and the gang?
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; August-20-14 at 02:52 PM.

So basically there will still be a December bowl game at Ford Field, just under a new name/sponsor?

Quote Originally Posted by yaktown View Post
    So basically there will still be a December bowl game at Ford Field, just under a new name/sponsor?
    Yes, still a bowl game on the same date, BUT instead of MAC vs. Big Ten [[or replacement opponent) it will be Big Ten vs. ACC.