Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Harbor island neighborhood

Does anyone know anything about Harbor Island, the street located near the fox canal along the Detroit River? Some boaters live there as it is quick access to the Detroit River, but how is the area, crime etc. and any information on the canals?

This is where it is. My folks lived on Harbor Island before they died 5 years ago. It was pretty nice then but unfortunately the zip code is 48215.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by FormerDetroiter; August-19-14 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boater4life View Post
    Does anyone know anything about Harbor Island, the street located near the fox canal along the Detroit River? Some boaters live there as it is quick access to the Detroit River, but how is the area, crime etc. and any information on the canals?
    Although the park right next to it is Little Belle Isle on the nicer days, you would find that Harbor Island is a very quiet and quaint neighborhood. I know many families and friends who've resided and still reside there. Although they just flooded out in the great Detroit tsunami last week, the access to the river and lake are outstanding. While the houses on harbor island may be a bit steeper than other canal bordering streets, it would be in your best interest to check out Scripps and Klink street as well. Also on the same canal system, and similarly quiet.

HI is really a diamond in the rough. If you haven't already, take a drive down there. You'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

Its a jewel of a neighborhood that has held its own for as long as I can remember, good housing stock to boot along with a slip or two for your own boat or rent it out. When I was a kid I used to drop a line in the canal at the end of the street catching little bluegills....those were the days If you have the opportunity to buy or rent there jump on it. I'd say that the only detractor to the location is some sketchy parts up closer to Freud and Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    ... HI is really a diamond in the rough. If you haven't already, take a drive down there....
    Street View

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Do you think that's a "Mini-Station"?

Take a ride down Ashland St.....

Attachment 24200

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post

Attachment 24200
    Is that a picture from the plane crash 1959?

Attachment 24200
    How long do you figure before the Blight Rail goes through that part? "Every Neighborhood Has A Future".

Quote Originally Posted by FormerDetroiter View Post
    Is that a picture from the plane crash 1959?
    No, that photo is now.....

Here ya go from '58:

Attachment 24201

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    How long do you figure before the Blight Rail goes through that part? "Every Neighborhood Has A Future".
    When GPP is extended west?

No, that photo is now.....

Here ya go from '58:

Attachment 24201
    I lived in that neighborhood when that happened.

Attachment 24200
    Harbor Island Street connects to Lakewood, not Ashland, so you wouldn't be driving through blight like this while heading up to Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Some_Detroiter View Post
    Harbor Island Street connects to Lakewood, not Ashland, so you wouldn't be driving through blight like this while heading up to Jefferson.
    Yes, but Ashland has canals all along the east side of it. Perhaps we wanted B4L to consider all his options, no matter the blight.

Yes, but Ashland has canals all along the east side of it. Perhaps we wanted B4L to consider all his options, no matter the blight.
    If I were to choose other streets in that neighborhood with access for boating I would go with Klenk or Scripps, which are across the canal from Harbor Island.

Indeed, Ashland is quite a proper name for that street. However, B4L has been researching hard and we want him to explore all his/her options.

Indeed, Ashland is quite a proper name for that street. However, B4L has been researching hard and we want him to explore all his/her options.
    Bingo....B4L wanted to know about the "neighborhood". Closing your eyes while driving is probably not an option, just ask Honky!

Bingo....B4L wanted to know about the "neighborhood". Closing your eyes while driving is probably not an option, just ask Honky!
    Honestly, I don't know b4l, what he's all about, what he's into, or what he'll put up with. [[if indeed, it's a "he") I'm going to give him the same advice I give everyone who asks me about living "in duh D". Drive around! Stop to buy gasoline @ the local gas station. Have lunch @ a local dinery. Stop and get an Arizona Ice Tea @ the local party store. Do all that 10 times, @ different times and days of the week. No place is totally evil, and no place is totally perfect. In the end, you will be the deciding factor on what's right for you. If I were to dock my boat, [[well, if I HAD a boat,.... and money) I would choose DYC, and live somewhere, on the river, in the "Gold Coast". If I wanted a constant crowd, congestion, and walkable bars, I would still choose DYC, and live in Midtown. Everything else, you really should be driving around and looking @ it yourself. The issue is b4l never gives enough info on himself, or what he's after. "what's this like" doesn't tell me anything.

Yes, indeed, I am a "he" if you were wondering, late 20's with a g/f. I like to boat and fish a little bit, like to stay active, take jogs, etc. Want a safe area to live in, I have a passion for the city of Detroit, big sports fan, I like what I see going on in the city and want to be a part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by boater4life View Post
    Yes, indeed, I am a "he" if you were wondering, late 20's with a g/f. I like to boat and fish a little bit, like to stay active, take jogs, etc. Want a safe area to live in, I have a passion for the city of Detroit, big sports fan, I like what I see going on in the city and want to be a part of it.
    I believe you said once you're new to Detroit? Have you thought about renting or leasing for a year or so? Check things out, get used to the lay of the land, and what's what. Then make up your mind on something more permanent.

Is this a good area to buy a rental home? What's the going rate for rentals in the area?

Seems like a niche market to me Bill.

Boater4life don't let the Duh-Detractors stop you from exploring options. I suggest you contact the Creekside CDC, they have a website. Many current and former board members have or still do live on the above mentioned Islands. Why not get news from the horses mouth and not the other end.

I have always been honest, Detroit is not for everyone and certainly Creekside has some serious rough patches. It also has a very strong community group, talk to the president if you can. She is a retired attorney with the UAW and still does consulting work. She is a long term resident of one of the above mentioned islands. She will be very forth coming.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Boater4life don't let the Duh-Detractors stop you from exploring options. Why not get news from the horses mouth and not the other end.

Those pics, by the way, are older then dirt. The felled trees were from a wind shear that took place years ago that hit the cabbage patch with heavy damages too. I remember, I was home alone, took shelter in the basement and as much as I dislike spiders, they were my best friends while I waited out the storm. A huge tree came down on our house did heavy damage, rolled off the roof and flatten our neighbors car in the drive. The canal pics are about as old if not older. That was the trailer park which was sold eons ago to Phoenix group. Residents were given thirty days to move. Phoenix Group let the property decay for years until the city finally policed it and got it cleaned up and fenced. No clue who actually owns that land now. Stunning vista of the river meeting Lake St Clair.
    Last edited by sumas; August-22-14 at 07:07 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast