Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Five more graffiti idiots arrested

Five men suspected of tagging structures across the city with graffiti signatures were arraigned Monday on charges of malicious destruction of property after being chased from a defaced building and arrested last week.

Sgt. Rebecca McKay of the city's anti-graffiti task force said the men are believed be part of a group known as the TCK Crew, whose signatures can be be seen on buildings, highway structures and houses around Detroit.

Among the names they're known for marking are Fon, Scab, Ridle and Fox, "those you will find up and down thoroughfares across the city," McKay said.
    Two of the suspects live in Detroit, said Police Chief James Craig, while the others are from Romulus, Southgate and Lincoln Park.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...l#incart_river

Bb...but...but... I thought they would only go after people who targeted Gilbert? This information doesn't fit my narrative!

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Bb...but...but... I thought they would only go after people who targeted Gilbert? This information doesn't fit my narrative!
    Oh, come now, 48307. Even you must be able to admit a difference between tagging a Gilbert building and being brought to justice right away and being able to tag so much and so long that you can see their work "up and down thoroughfares across the city."

… but … but, I wanted to take a cheap shot on DetroitYES and the information didn't fit my punch line?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Oh, come now, 48307. Even you must be able to admit a difference between tagging a Gilbert building and being brought to justice right away and being able to tag so much and so long that you can see their work "up and down thoroughfares across the city."

… but … but, I wanted to take a cheap shot on DetroitYES and the information didn't fit my punch line?
    Did these other property owners come to the police with:

1) Pictures of the vandalism taking place
    2) Video of the vandalism happening
    3) Properly ID'd suspects

Oh, they didn't!? I guess that would explain the difference in speed of prosecution.

Gilbert cares much, much more about his property and the image of Detroit, and that's why he put a lot of resources at work.

But yet people like you want to get angry that when Gilbert hands a wrapped present to the DPD with a bow on top and they dare to open it.

The DPD had to work WAY harder to catch the folks that are the subject of this thread.
    Last edited by Scottathew; August-18-14 at 06:03 PM.

Heh. Tuff City Kids is on Facebook.

This new chief and mayor really know how to work the media, don't they? "broken windows theory" was mentioned. Ya right, the detroit police do not have the resources to apply broken windows theory. 5 years from now, maybe

At least it's a start...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Heh. Tuff City Kids is on Facebook.

They misspelled "tough".

^^^ Stop being so picky HT!---- "Leave those kids alone" [[from the Wall/ Pink Flyod)

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Stop being so picky HT!---- "Leave those kids alone" [[from the Wall/ Pink Flyod)
    All in all, they'll just paint another brick on the wall.

Good Morning Zacha341.

Did these other property owners come to the police with:

1) Pictures of the vandalism taking place
    2) Video of the vandalism happening
    3) Properly ID'd suspects
    Sure, he had video [[as for properly identified subjects, no), because he has billions of dollars worth of resources.

Oh, they didn't!? I guess that would explain the difference in speed of prosecution.

Gilbert cares much, much more about his property and the image of Detroit, and that's why he put a lot of resources at work.
    Wait a second, are you blaming the VICTIMS of graffiti for these guys not being caught? You're reaching here, 48307.

But yet people like you want to get angry that when Gilbert hands a wrapped present to the DPD with a bow on top and they dare to open it.
    Um, no. I just think there's a double-standard at work. Call it downtown vs. neighborhoods, big money vs. little guys, white businessman vs. longtime black resident. Call it whatever you want. But to say the DPD doesn't stiffen and salute when Danny Boy wants something done is sort of naive … and ridiculous.

The DPD had to work WAY harder to catch the folks that are the subject of this thread.
    Yes, on that we agree.

Sure, he had video [[as for properly identified subjects, no), because he has billions of dollars worth of resources.

Wait a second, are you blaming the VICTIMS of graffiti for these guys not being caught? You're reaching here, 48307.

Um, no. I just think there's a double-standard at work. Call it downtown vs. neighborhoods, big money vs. little guys, white businessman vs. longtime black resident. Call it whatever you want. But to say the DPD doesn't stiffen and salute when Danny Boy wants something done is sort of naive … and ridiculous.

Yes, on that we agree.
    You're blaming the victim, Gilbert, for having video, pictures, and the identities of the folks who tagged up one of his buildings. You think the DPD should have sat on their hands because Gilbert is a rich businessman.

In the other cases the property owner victims either didn't have all the evidence that Gilbert had, or were absent\apathetic. The other victims, the people of Detroit, don't have all the evidence either.

I think you're absolutely ridiculous for being upset that DPD executed on such an easy case where Gilbert did all the legwork.

In this case the DPD had to form a task force and pour a lot of resources into nabbing these five people. I'm glad they did, and it shows that the DPD is willing to work even harder for people who are not Gilbert.

Lets not worry so much about how they got caught, just about catching them all [[and deporting them to foreign countries).

You're blaming the victim, Gilbert, for having video, pictures, and the identities of the folks who tagged up one of his buildings. You think the DPD should have sat on their hands because Gilbert is a rich businessman.
    Um, no, I'm fairly CREDITING Gilbert with having the resources to have his little empire all set up for surveillance.

I think you're absolutely ridiculous for being upset that DPD executed on such an easy case where Gilbert did all the legwork.
    No, I'm happy that the cops got the bad actors in the case. Just know that their step was that much brisker because it was Moneybags who got tagged.

In this case the DPD had to form a task force and pour a lot of resources into nabbing these five people. I'm glad they did, and it shows that the DPD is willing to work even harder for people who are not Gilbert.
    Now you're getting it. I think that's what I argued at the beginning, that it's really reaching to compare these two cases, even as grist for a joke.

Um, no, I'm fairly CREDITING Gilbert with having the resources to have his little empire all set up for surveillance.
    Agreed there!

No, I'm happy that the cops got the bad actors in the case. Just know that their step was that much brisker because it was Moneybags who got tagged.
    I think the main reason for the speed was the evidence, but I can think of cases in the past where homeowners have had people on surveillance stealing their stuff and the police won't even make arrangements to get the evidence until a story aired on WJBK. This may be a case where we're both right...

Now you're getting it. I think that's what I argued at the beginning, that it's really reaching to compare these two cases, even as grist for a joke.
    Well, I think we both can agree that catching these vandals is a good thing. Hopefully in the future the DPD will be so responsive that we won't need to question whether people get special treatment.

Personally i think they should be tied up and shot to death with paintballs, but hey.... that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddz313 View Post
    This new chief and mayor really know how to work the media, don't they? "broken windows theory" was mentioned. Ya right, the detroit police do not have the resources to apply broken windows theory. 5 years from now, maybe
    It's obvious that you don't understand the broken windows theory.

Agreed there!

I think the main reason for the speed was the evidence, but I can think of cases in the past where homeowners have had people on surveillance stealing their stuff and the police won't even make arrangements to get the evidence until a story aired on WJBK. This may be a case where we're both right...

Well, I think we both can agree that catching these vandals is a good thing. Hopefully in the future the DPD will be so responsive that we won't need to question whether people get special treatment.
    The big difference in the recent city crackdown on graffiti/vandalism isn't due to Gilbert, it's due to Duggan.

When Duggan was the Wayne County Prosecutor, he made it a point to actively crack down on graffiti vandals. Duggan was adamant that property crimes in Detroit should be pursued and prosecuted with the same vigilance as they would be in the suburbs of Wayne County. Duggan made it very clear, and actually was quoted, that he prosecuted crime in Detroit the exact same way that he did in Livonia.

Unfortunately for us Detroiters, his successor, Kym Worthy, doesn't feel the same way about law enforcement. I will give Worthy credit and props for standing tall and prosecuting Kwame while the governor cowered in the corner, but her failure to crack down on property crime in the city does a major disservice to the residents and business owners of Detroit.

Dismissing property crime in the city as unimportant or trivial, because there are "more important crimes to focus on" sets a precedent and status quo that tells the public that criminal activity in Detroit is essentially sanctioned and overlooked, as long as you don't drop a body.