Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit's Corktown is poised to pop with development

I have to imagine this type of situation is holding back development other reviving part of the city.

“I’ve got a brewery from New York that’s teamed up with local investors, and I cannot find them a spot in Corktown,” Koenigbauer said. “The area could be developed a lot more if we could get ahold of some of these building owners. I’m digging through public records to find a name and a phone number to call only to find it disconnected. They must think it’s dead still.”

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz3AlPpnwg9

I thought about creating a new thread about the following topic, but I think it can go here instead. The topic is: "When will MDOT repave Michigan Avenue between Rosa Parks and Sixth Street." This stretch of road is terrible, especially at the intersection of Michigan and Trumbull, and if more development is going to come to Corktown then this issue needs to be addressed. I mean I remember when I first came on this forum 10 years ago that there was a thread on this topic back then. Why hasn't MDOT made Michigan Avenue, that stretch at least, a priority? I mean how do you pave Michigan Ave. west of Rosa Parks, putting in biking lanes, but not east of it?

Also, reducing the size of Roosevelt Park for retail/residential along Michigan, and reconfiguring Vernor so that a left turn can be made from Michigan Ave. to Vernor would do wonders in improving Corktown.

Ah yes, Michigan Ave., Vernor, 14th, perfect place for next Roundabout.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    I thought about creating a new thread about the following topic, but I think it can go here instead. The topic is: "When will MDOT repave Michigan Avenue between Rosa Parks and Sixth Street." This stretch of road is terrible, especially at the intersection of Michigan and Trumbull, and if more development is going to come to Corktown then this issue needs to be addressed. I mean I remember when I first came on this forum 10 years ago that there was a thread on this topic back then. Why hasn't MDOT made Michigan Avenue, that stretch at least, a priority? I mean how do you pave Michigan Ave. west of Rosa Parks, putting in biking lanes, but not east of it?
    MDOT can't be bothered with a piddly little U.S. Highway that nobody uses. They've been busy planning multi-billion dollar widenings of I-94 and I-75 that nobody needs.

Agreed that the Michigan / Trumbull intersection is an absolute disaster and needs repair. It's really these kinds of smaller infrastructure projects that can go a long way toward fostering redevelopment. If one has to clench his butt cheeks just to get to Corktown, he's going to think twice about spending his money there.

I'd like to see them make Michigan ave more pedestrian friendly over there; the simplest solution probably being a median with some MI lefts.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    MDOT can't be bothered with a piddly little U.S. Highway that nobody uses. They've been busy planning multi-billion dollar widenings of I-94 and I-75 that nobody needs.

Agreed that the Michigan / Trumbull intersection is an absolute disaster and needs repair. It's really these kinds of smaller infrastructure projects that can go a long way toward fostering redevelopment. If one has to clench his butt cheeks just to get to Corktown, he's going to think twice about spending his money there.
    How much would it cost to keep the bricks? I'd like to see that over asphalt.

should be light rail up Michigan Ave a ways and Gratiot to Eastern Market

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    I'd like to see them make Michigan ave more pedestrian friendly over there; the simplest solution probably being a median with some MI lefts.
    I think Michigan Lefts would be quite pedestrian unfriendly. The additional visual confusion, sudden changes of direction of vehicles, and added conflict points would make it much harder to cross the street.

I would like to see Michigan Ave go on a road diet: widen the sidewalks, add protected bike lanes on one side of the road [[and metered on-street parking on the other side), a reduction in vehicle lanes [[perhaps dedicated transit lanes?), and some nice streetscaping--and you'd have a much safer, much more safe and inviting environment that appeals to both investors and customers alike.

Mainly, I'd like to see them narrow the road and since I figure that the street car won't be going that way any time soon, a median of some sort would be nice.