Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Attention Smokers! Save at CVS!

Attention Smokers! CVS Drugs is discontinuing cigarette sales, most brands are 50% off!!! Hurry before they're all gone!

Why are the sales always on cancer-INDUCING drugs?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    So you can come back and fill your cancer fighting prescriptions later.

Quote Originally Posted by carlscomputers View Post
    Attention Smokers! CVS Drugs is discontinuing cigarette sales, most brands are 50% off!!! Hurry before they're all gone!
    ALL CVS or just the one in Hamtown?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    ALL CVS or just the one in Hamtown?
    I think it's all of CVS. It was a corporate-wide policy change for CVS.

Attention Smokers! Save even more. Stop buying cancer sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Good question but it might not be fair. I recall reading that CVS decided to take a loss on tobacco-sales profits in exchange for the health of their customers.

Suspicious, yes, because corporations rarely if ever deviate from maximizing profits. But let's suspend judgement for a while in case this might be a precedent for corporate responsibility.

That could be a game changer. [[I hope I don't have to eat my words.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I think it's all of CVS. It was a corporate-wide policy change for CVS.
    That IS a big brave step.

That IS a big brave step.
    It will speed up the checkout lines. Clerk rings up sale, customer dithers a bit, then says "Gimme a pack of Doofus Gold 100s". Clerk turns around and looks at the imposing assortment of cigarette packs behind her and traces her finger over them one-by-one asking "This one?....". Clerk finally rings up adjusted sale, customer dithers some more trying to put the cigs away, and leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    It will speed up the checkout lines. Clerk rings up sale, customer dithers a bit, then says "Gimme a pack of Doofus Gold 100s". Clerk turns around and looks at the imposing assortment of cigarette packs behind her and traces her finger over them one-by-one asking "This one?....". Clerk finally rings up adjusted sale, customer dithers some more trying to put the cigs away, and leaves.
    Oh I don't know.... compared to looking for and scanning coupons... price checks... lottery tickets... and all around chit-chat with the clerk.... cigarettes aren't so bad... the clerks are usually pretty hip as to where the brands are, and which specific ones to pull off the shelf....

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Attention Smokers! Save even more. Stop buying cancer sticks.
    Yeah really. Maybe they should put all stop smoking products on sale too.

Are the "hookah" supplies also 1/2 off.....

CVS is getting a lot of positive press about this. I wonder if Walgreens will follow suit?

I love how free people feel to scold about cigarettes.

It really shows you that it isn't a public health issue at all. It's a moral crusade.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Are the "hookah" supplies also 1/2 off.....
    How about the Zig-Zags?

You're forgetting the "not those, the soft pack", "no not those, the 100's", "no, in the soft-pack", Ok, then give me the hard-pack"....conversation. Worked in a Detroit party store while @ WSU.

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    So you can come back and fill your cancer fighting prescriptions later.
    This made me chuckle!

Smoking is quite a filthy habit, but a lot of us do it. I think CVS is burning itself by banning all tobacco sales.

You're forgetting the "not those, the soft pack", "no not those, the 100's", "no, in the soft-pack", Ok, then give me the hard-pack"....conversation. Worked in a Detroit party store while @ WSU.
    "How much change I got left? OK, gimmie those two Philly blunt wraps. How much change I got left? I'm'a get two loose squares for a dollar, and -- how much left? …"

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Some_Detroiter View Post
    Smoking is quite a filthy habit, but a lot of us do it. I think CVS is burning itself by banning all tobacco sales.
    I would think that the folks in the head shed at CVS did a lot of number crunching and soul searching before they announced this. I think it may be a PR push to allow them to have a "doc in the box" at every store [[or more probably a NP). Go to the store, see the health care provider and proceed directly to the pharmacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    "How much change I got left? OK, gimmie those two Philly blunt wraps. How much change I got left? I'm'a get two loose squares for a dollar, and -- how much left? …"
    Another veteran!

I would think that the folks in the head shed at CVS did a lot of number crunching and soul searching before they announced this. I think it may be a PR push to allow them to have a "doc in the box" at every store [[or more probably a NP). Go to the store, see the health care provider and proceed directly to the pharmacy.
    I was thinking the same thing.

I could imagine one argument in favor of this change might have gone something like "Sure we'll lose tobacco revenue now but if our customers live longer into their pharma-consumption years, we'll more than compensate for that loss."

They're currently building what I believe will be a new MinuteClinic inside the CVS near me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Short term pain versus potential long term gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I love how free people feel to scold about cigarettes.

It really shows you that it isn't a public health issue at all. It's a moral crusade.
    Em, maybe a little of both actually.

Whatever happens to harm an individual or a group usually beckons moral choices and judgments. Everything from CIG smoke to CIG butts on a sidewalk bugs me. I can't help being bothered by it, but I never crusaded against smoking. I am however glad some people had the fortitude to fight for less smoke in the public space. I care less about smokers' rights than non-smokers' frankly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast