Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Hatch Detroit 2014 finalists

I didn't see a thread about the contest this year. Finalists were just released today and voting has begun. I'm a bit disappointed the 1701 Bespoke did not make it, but relatively happy with the choices. Food/drink tend to do well in these contests. I'm rooting for Gabriel Hall or Third Wave Music to win.

Info on each: http://hatchdetroit.com/the-contest/top-4-finalists

Voting link: http://hatchdetroit.com/the-contest/vote

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I didn't see a thread about the contest this year. Finalists were just released today and voting has begun. I'm a bit disappointed the 1701 Bespoke did not make it, but relatively happy with the choices. Food/drink tend to do well in these contests. I'm rooting for Gabriel Hall or Third Wave Music to win.Info on each: http://hatchdetroit.com/the-contest/top-4-finalistsVoting link: http://hatchdetroit.com/the-contest/vote
    You are right. Let the suburbs have all of the retailers while Detroit becomes a cesspool of expensive eateries and sports bars. What happened to the Asian sports apparel store that had won last year and was to open in the Avenue of Fashion area. I could understand downtown being experimental but clothing retailers are being shut out from opening in the most denses part of the city

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    You are right. Let the suburbs have all of the retailers while Detroit becomes a cesspool of expensive eateries and sports bars. What happened to the Asian sports apparel store that had won last year and was to open in the Avenue of Fashion area. I could understand downtown being experimental but clothing retailers are being shut out from opening in the most denses part of the city
    Last year's winner was Batch Brewing. Not sure the store you're speaking of. One from last year that I'm disappointed not seeing around is Spielhaus Toys. They had a popup on Woodward, but I haven't seen anything about permanent plans.

I lived in New Orleans for 5 years so I'm pulling for Gabriel Hall. I crave authentic New Orleans culture and cuisine, but it doesn't exist in SE Michigan. I think there's market for it and I hope they win.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    I lived in New Orleans for 5 years so I'm pulling for Gabriel Hall. I crave authentic New Orleans culture and cuisine, but it doesn't exist in SE Michigan. I think there's market for it and I hope they win.
    I am splitting my votes until the close of polls between Gabriel Hall [[Woodbridge represent!) and Third Wave Music. I'd love to have a neighborhood performance spot to go to!

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    I am splitting my votes until the close of polls between Gabriel Hall [[Woodbridge represent!) and Third Wave Music. I'd love to have a neighborhood performance spot to go to!
    I've been doing that as well, but I'm worried if too many votes get split, one of the other two will take it. I would prefer Gabriel Hall, but I think Third Wave is the type of thing Detroit needs more.

Definitely pulling for ThirdWave. It's amazing that there are no viable music stores in a city that prides itself on it's music history and culture. I can think of dozens of times where I needed something simple like a mic clip or snare lug for a gig at the last minute and had no choice but to drive out Allen Park or Southfield.

How come we can't have both? I'm going to pout about it and start an online petition against Hatch demanding they fund both projects because free speech or gun rights or something. Ugh.

But yes, overall at the end of the day, my votes go to Third Wave. Even though I wish Gabriel Hall would go into that building on Trumbull just south of Woodbridge Pub/Future Pie Sci.