Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default A story of three young men from Detroit

This thread is in response to the replies of another one of my posts. I felt it needed a thread of its own. For reference, here is the original thread:

http://detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?t=1111

Disclaimer: I am not an editor, nor am I an English major. The names are changed for personal and privacy reasons.

There were two friends named Timmy and Billy. They met when they were in kindergarten. They both went to the same school and had the same socioeconomic disadvantage. Both were also minorities.

While growing up, they were almost identical. Both enjoyed the same activities and shared common hobbies. They were essentially best friends. When they grew older Timmy decided to focus on school. He never skipped, got good grades, and was able to get into the high school he chose. Billy, chose to sleep during class, and subsequently failed many of his classes. He skipped whenever he could. In fact, he was sent to various alternative schools because of this reason, among others.

While in high school, Timmy worked many hours in the food service industry. He worked and worked, and scrimped and saved every penny he could. He made many sacrifices, and eventually he was able to pay for driving school and buy his dream car [[albeit used) at the age of 15. While in high school, Billy chose not to work. He chose to hang out with his friends. He chose to drink and smoke weed, further making him ineligible for work.

After high school, Timmy was awarded scholarships to various colleges due to his excellent academic performance. He chose a college close to his home, so he could stay close to home and help his parents. He dreamed of attending a Big 10 or Ivy league school, but settled for much less. For the record, the school he chose to go isn't a bad school, he did choose to go there after all! He chose to major in Finance following Pre-Med, as both are promising fields. In his first semester in college, Timmy chose to leave the food industry as he got a job tutoring high school students. What surprised him was that many of Timmy's students were actually older than himself! After doing the tutoring gig for a few years, Timmy got a job working in the medical field. He scrimped and saved again, until he was able to collect enough money to pay for EMT school. He then worked 30 hours a week, went to college full-time and EMT school full-time. Talk about tiring! He saved and made sacrifices whenever and wherever he could. He decided to start building his credit, and spent very wisely. His credit rating became excellent in no time!

After high school, Billy also chose to continue his education. He foolishly took out many student loans and decided to attend a private non-accredited technical school. Whats even more foolish is that he majored in “Video Game Design.” While in school, Billy was too busy partying with his schoolmates. He cheated in most, and if not that, failed many of his classes. Yes, this was his dream profession. In two years of full-time school, he accumulated only 20 credit hours with a cumulative GPA below a 2.0. He was no longer eligible for financial aide, and was soon kicked out of the school. Billy continued to work in the food industry. He continued to party, and no longer focused on school. In the mean time, Billy dated many women. In fact, he fathered an illegitimate child with one of them. At one point, he even had a fiance! School was no longer a priority, he soon defaulted on his school loans, and his credit was starting to take a hit.

Shortly after Timmy completed his EMT program, he left college temporarily so he could work 60 hours a week, working midnight shift, to help his mother who was out of a job. He worked hard, and paid all of her expenses to the best he could. He made a wise decision by investing his savings into a house which he spent all of his time fixing up, to lease it later. There was no partying for Timmy! He spent every waking hour either working EMS or working on his house. Soon after he finished the house, he found renters immediately. It was a beautiful house, in a good neighborhood. He spent his blood, sweat and tears in it. He chose to go back to school full-time as he can now drop back down to only 40-50 hours a week for work. Yes, he chose to work ONLY 40-50 hours a week while going back to school full-time. Because of his excellent credit, Timmy was able to buy a second house. Yes, a second one, shortly after he turned 21. Yes, twenty-one folks. The small loan he took out wasn't because he couldn't afford the home, but more so to improve his outstanding credit. It pays off when you spend a lifetime of sacrifices and spending wisely, right? He paid the small loan off very quickly.

At this time, Billy contacted Timmy. Billy said he needed a place to stay temporarily. Billy was no longer engaged. He was staying at friends' houses and sometimes shelters. Timmy agreed and allowed him to stay at his second house rent free. In fact, not only did Billy stay at Timmy's house rent free, but Timmy paid him to do small tasks, so Billy would have spending money. Billy spent every penny he had, faster than he could earn it. Often times, he DID NOT even earn it, yet Timmy still helped him. Now, how great is that? Timmy paid for his food, gave him a roof over his head, and drove Billy anywhere he needed to go. Remember, Billy was too busy partying, he never got a license. Billy did find a job, again in the food industry, but was fired shortly after for poor attendance and horrible work ethics. I guess hitting on your boss doesn't fly.

One day, Timmy decided to help Billy out with his long term goals. He asked Billy if he would be interested in EMS, and Billy said yes. Timmy then paid for Billy's school out of his own pockets. Billy was very psyched about this. So psyched that he dropped out of the school within a few weeks, waisting Timmy's hard earned money. Timmy wasn't surprised, he has seen this prior in his EMT school. When Timmy enrolled in class, it was packed with 45 students in his class! Out of the 45, 7 paid tuition out their pockets, and the remaining 38's tuition was paid by grants for non-high school grads. Out of the 7 that paid their own tuition, all 7 graduated! A 100% graduation rate! Out of the remaining 38, full grant funded non-high school graduates, ZERO graduated. Yes, ZERO. No exaggeration. What a coincidence, right?

Meanwhile, Billy found a job working, once again, in the food industry near Timmy's house. Billy quite often was tired from his 10-14 hour work weeks! Timmy gave many job leads and promising educational ideas to Billy while he was working for this fast-food joint. Billy chose not to apply to any of them. Billy worked at this place for quite sometime, about 6 months, and then he got fired for kicking a cash register. Billy then started short-selling his Bridge Card. He foolishly bought basketball shoes, sports jerseys and liquor and never had any money for food.

One night, Billy brought home a friend, named Jimmy! Billy said Jimmy needed a place to stay temporarily. Timmy already let one homeless person stay at his home, what's the problem with another one, right? Billy vouched for Jimmy, so Timmy agreed to let Jimmy stay the night. Jimmy left the next morning. Later on that night, Jimmy came back to Timmy's house. This time Billy wasn't there. Jimmy had been smoking pot and drinking earlier that night, and needed a place to stay. Timmy should've turned him away, but because of the goodness in his heart, Timmy let Jimmy stay the night. Bad decision Timmy! You will soon find out.

Timmy and Jimmy developed a friendship. In reality, Timmy had a soft spot for kindness, and Jimmy chose to take advantage of Timmy's generosity. Billy found Jimmy a job. He even had a job interview. He did not go, because 10 am was too early, and he slept in! Jimmy had no ID, no paperwork [[i.e. birth certificate), he didn't even know his own social security number! Who knows, Jimmy could've been a killer on the run. Timmy looked passed that because his long-time friend vouched for him. Billy and Jimmy met at one of the shelters. Billy chose to leave. Jimmy was kicked out for unknown reasons, he was not allowed to go back. Timmy pushed and pushed for Jimmy to get paperwork so he can get a legitimate job or at least government aide. The only paperwork Jimmy had, he lost one night when Jimmy was inebriated. Timmy drove him everywhere to help get his birth certificate, ID, hell anything that had his name on it. Timmy even offered to pay for any fees/costs for Jimmy. Jimmy continued to do nothing. Timmy's sister, Tammy asked Timmy if he knew anyone looking for a job. She paid cash, every day of work. It was the Christmas season and she needed help at her company. Timmy had an idea! He told Tammy about his friend Jimmy. She agreed to give him a job. At this time, Timmy needed a much needed vacay. He bought plane tickets for himself and his parents. He went to California, New York, North Carolina, Atlanta, and Florida. Yes, he paid for them all, because he wanted to treat his parents because they've done so much for him. Timmy came back from his tour of America, only to find Jimmy on his couch watching TV. Timmy asked Jimmy why he wasn't at work. It turned out that he didn't have the bus fare to go there, yet he took all of Timmy's cans and bottles to buy snacks and candy. So instead of working, Jimmy stayed home for three weeks, watching TV ALL DAY LONG. No exaggeration!

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

*PATENT PENDING!* :-)

Timmy allowed Billy and Jimmy to stay at his house. In fact, it was over a year for Billy, and ten months for Jimmy. Both of them in the same predicament that they were in from day one. Timmy, his girlfriend, and Billy were working/cleaning the house one day. Timmy asked Jimmy to help because it was essentially his mess that they were cleaning. The kid couldn't even pick up after himself! Jimmy became confrontational, and soon he flipped out. He took Timmy's and Timmy's girlfriend's phones and threatened to break them or pawn them. He ran through the house threatening to break and pawn Timmy's other belongings. Timmy eventually coaxed Jimmy to return his belongings. He asked Jimmy to leave temporarily, cool down, and come back. Timmy never saw Jimmy again.

A week later, Timmy was not at the house. At this point, Jimmy knew both Timmy's and Billy's schedules. He broke into Timmy's home and stole a good deal of his high value belongings. Timmy lead a simple life, he didn't have much, but what he did have, meant a lot to him. Now, all of that was gone! Timmy fed, nurtured and sheltered Jimmy for ten months, and this is how Jimmy thanked him! Timmy gave Jimmy many opportunities to return his belongings with no recourse. Jimmy never did. Timmy waited patiently for over a month, Jimmy never came through. Timmy then followed the advice of his peers, and filed a police report.

Now, the ending. Timmy is now on the last leg of his bachelor's! After many years of hard work, he will now become a college graduate! He owns two homes, paid and clear. He is looking into grad school to continue his education. He still works EMS, but has a few promising careers lined up if he chose to not further his education. But, not all endings are happy endings. Jimmy is now running from the law, because he abused Timmy's generosity and kindness. No shelters in the area would take him, as he apparently has had incidents with them all. He squats in an abandoned home near the Boston-Edison district. He is often spotted by Timmy's friends in public places using public computers. Billy has gotten nowhere. He continues to short sell his Bridge Card. He is pursuing a career in wrestling entertainment [[i.e. jumping around on mattresses at his friend's mom's backyard/basement). He aspires to either become a sports telecaster for ESPN, or play college football for Ohio State.

Now, why did I say this story? To brag? To toot my own horn? No. [[Actually, why is it looked down upon for a young successful person to be proud of his accomplishments?) I am simply stating the parallels of three young men from Detroit [[proper). All three having similar beginnings; Billy and Timmy nearly twins! In fact, Mengele could've considered it a long-term clinical experiment! [[I joke.) This story was to show the net result of three lives. One young man's story of hard work and kindness to help himself and his family out of their situation, his friends and his generosity to the homeless. Another young man's story of a life of making too many bad decisions. And finally the life of a young man's laziness, greed and extorting the only one that would take him in. This story is based on real life events. Actually, the only thing not accurate are the names, which were hidden for privacy. For those who did not catch it, I portray the character “Timmy.”

To conclude, I am not a saint, I'm far from it actually. I, along with two other young men, were dealt the same bad hand. I overcame my disadvantages, and now I won the game [[of life, I guess).

P.S. I should sell my story to some production company! Maybe Lifetime would make this into a Saturday morning movie [[I joke again). But in that case, I must say, PATENT PENDING!

-Tahleel