Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Jimaz, glad to see this is going mainstream. Netflix and Amazon, etc, are providing attention to these situations, but if people can actually see this film in a theatre, I think that would be great. These are things that all people should be aware of.
    This is a situation that the populous should be aware of. Sooner than later. Fracking, if people are complacent about, should also be aware of because of its devastating effects on our drinking water. Whether I'm right or wrong, people should be aware of the situation and make their own decisions. This is a Pandoras Box situation and all people that care about future generations should at least be aware of the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Fracking, if people are complacent about, should also be aware of because of its devastating effects on our drinking water.
    There are a lot of misconceptions about fracking, mainly due to some shoddy documentaries made with nary a consulting geologist in sight.

The old fracking wells did use a lot of water - the new wells recycle water instead of constantly using fresh water, so they use significantly less. As far as fracking pushing natural gas or other chemicals up into drinking water - that was debunked years ago.

Here's what needs to be considered - assuming your overarching goal is to reduce CO2 emissions, for every dollar spent on subsidizing natural gas exploration reduces CO2 four times more than a dollar spent on solar power. UPS announced that it will switch it's fleet to LNG, this alone is going to remove more CO2 emissions from the air than every solar panel installed in the USA.

I have no vested interest in natural gas, or solar or anything. I just go by what gets you the most bang for the buck. You aren't going to be able to transition straight from gasoline to alternative energy. The grid isn't set up for it and battery technology isn't even close to matching fossil fuels for energy density. Natural gas is a good stop-gap until alternative energy sources come fully on-line. It isn't a perfect solution, but it isn't nearly as bad as activists make it out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    There are a lot of misconceptions about fracking, mainly due to some shoddy documentaries made with nary a consulting geologist in sight.
    There are also some documentaries that provide seemingly valid proof that fracking is bad with competent geologists stating their opinions. I don't disagree with everything you're saying in your post. I am extremely pro solar although I think it's most effective being utilized on the site it's drawn from rather than put on to the grid.
    I think that as we advance in this technology, we can move forward like we did from the brick cell phone to the cell phone technology we have today.

I realize that we will probably need to continue using fossil fuels for quite some time. But utilizing other technologies that can slow down the depletion of these fossil fuels is in my opinion reasonably important. The drill baby drill crap to me is pure ignorance. There's a good chance that saving fossil fuels for future generations as an option might be important.

I also understand that the production of solar panels and batteries is a strain on the environment. But pure water is quite possibly going to create more worldwide conflicts in the near future than oil.

What I would say, is that in your post, you show that you aren't complacent in this situation. That, I believe is the most important part. I might be right or wrong, but I want the general populous to at least be considering what's going on. Whether we agree or not, at least there is some dialog and I'm glad you're obviously concerned enough to be aware that there is a situation.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Here's what needs to be considered - assuming your overarching goal is to reduce CO2 emissions, for every dollar spent on subsidizing natural gas exploration reduces CO2 four times more than a dollar spent on solar power. UPS announced that it will switch it's fleet to LNG, this alone is going to remove more CO2 emissions from the air than every solar panel installed in the USA.
    what is your source for that?

Fracking can be done more safely, but producers have often been caught taking short-cuts and using unapproved chemicals in the process.

How do they recover the water they inject to do the fracking?

And, biggest question of all, what do they do with the water they recover? It is poison. It can be radioactive. This was all good water from our earth that was poisoned and needs to be handled safely. Can it ever be returned to our finite water system?

Large environmental march planned in NYC.

http://peoplesclimate.org/march/

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    I also understand that the production of solar panels and batteries is a strain on the environment.
    The problem with solar is that it's still grid dependent. They don't have smart mini grids up and running separate of the traditional electrical grid. When traditional power goes down, so does the solar. The electric companies have seen to that dependency.

It's too bad we haven't taken serious looks into turbines in the sea- taking advantage of the ocean's natural currents. And it's too bad we haven't pushed further into the technology of processing salt water to make it consumable. Sure these things can be done but they need to become more affordable.

Another good thing would be if you go off the grid, not having the GOVERNMENT force you to get back on it:
    A woman from Cape Coral, Florida is being forced out of her home after local code enforcement teams found out she was “living off the grid.”The women, Robin Speronis, told her story to WFTX-TV who featured her lifestyle on the local news. The day after her story aired, where they talked about her “Off Grid” lifestyle, the City of Cape Coral sent code enforcement officers to post “notice to vacate” signs on her property.
    Speronsis, a widow who lives in the home by herself, is now facing eviction because she chooses to live without being hooked into the grid. She told WFTX-TV, “Where is the justice? Why did they choose me,” she asks. “…because I was exercising my First Amendment rights of free speech in discussing living off the grid.”

http://offgridsurvival.com/evicted-f...-off-the-grid/

It's great to talk about the "feel good" notion of getting off the grid and being environmentally friendly. BUT IF YOU ACTUALLY DO IT you will get the scorn and damnation of the corrupt Government who gorges itself on the ca$hflow coming from energy giants. Democrat AND Republican alike.
    Last edited by Papasito; September-17-14 at 02:04 PM.

35,000 Walruses Are All Crowded Together In One Spot — And It Signals Something Ominous

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/35-000...151404142.html

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...te-change.html

Pentagon Warns the US Military of Climate Change

Total duration 32 minutes:
    TRNN SPECIAL: Trump, The Koch Brothers and Their War on Climate Science

Published on Sep 18, 2017.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2