Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Dream Cruise. Why not Detroit?

This weekend is the Dream Cruise. I had always wondered why the Cruise never started in Detroit. Why not Highland Park in the parking lot in one of the massive strip malls that lined both sides of Woodward? Will Detroit ever participate in the Dream Cruise? Any thoughts or answers?

Racism and classism, as well as fears of the city that are unreasonably aggravated by lurid evening newscasts.

A startup is doing their own thing in Detroit/Palmer area this year.

I'm not really interested in either but I like this solution. An event doesn't want to be associated with you? Don't beg bow and bitch, start your own!

The events are seperate but those north of 8 Mile are free to keep going. Or turn around and continue as if this new thing doesn't exist if they want to.

And judging from the comments that STILL isn't good enough for some of the closet bigots around here.

Some cruisers do make their way to the Detroit side of Woodward. My guess is that fear of crime and the lack of organized festivities and promotions keep most in the suburbs.

Well, all of this reminds me of how Crusin' Downriver on Fort Street has almost always never crossed into Detroit either, instead stopping right at the limits [[and staying entirely within the suburbs) at Outer Drive.

There was a recent article [[can't find it, guessing freep) that mentioned an attempt to extend the cruise into Detroit but the stumbling block had something to do with exclusive advertising rights. Apparently they have some rule that they can't accept advertising from multiple parties that compete among themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Well, all of this reminds me of how Crusin' Downriver on Fort Street has almost always never crossed into Detroit either, instead stopping right at the limits [[and staying entirely within the suburbs) at Outer Drive.
    I've participated in all of the Cruisn' Downriver events. Once you pass Southfield there are very few, if any people watching the cruise. I go all the way to Outer Drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    There was a recent article [[can't find it, guessing freep) that mentioned an attempt to extend the cruise into Detroit but the stumbling block had something to do with exclusive advertising rights. Apparently they have some rule that they can't accept advertising from multiple parties that compete among themselves.
    What parties are competing against one another

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I understood it to mean that companies who were paying for advertising were competitors and that's against the rules. I really don't know more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    There was a recent article [[can't find it, guessing freep)
    Here it is: Detroit car events aim to bring Woodward Dream Cruise south of 8 Mile
    But officials of Woodward Dream Cruise Inc., the nonprofit group that stages the big cruise, said the Detroit-based organizers aren’t part of the official Dream Cruise, because they refused to abide by their sponsorship rules. Those rules forbid seeking new sponsors that compete with established ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Racism and classism, as well as fears of the city that are unreasonably aggravated by lurid evening newscasts.
    I think larger factors would be the elevated risk for crime as well as much less space for seating. I sure as heck don't see myself setting up some lawn chairs on most of Woodward.

However, as things change, I can see the Dream Cruise changing as well. As Detroit's downtown and midtown corridor continue to recover and see development, I could certainly see there being a "Detroit night" of the dream cruise.

Wasn't the Dream Cruise started to revive the cruising and street racing scene of the 50's and 60's. Everyone ran their cars and hit all the burger joints and root beer stands. Back then this was all well north of 8 mile. I was late to the party and started racing my 71 Olds 442 W-30 in the mid 70's. I only made it out to Woodward a few times. Hot spots for me were Telegraph at West Chicago, Northline behind Metro Airport was a prime racing spot. A bit of action on Fort Street in Southgate and Riverview. The absolute best for racing was Saturday night after 2am on Allen Rd between Pennsylvania and Sibley by the graveyard, right near Detroit Dragway. Cops knew we were there and never bothered us. Some guys brought cars on trailers there. Fun times for sure.

Ah hah! Now I read more specifically:
    A key sponsor of the Woodward Dream Cruise is CBS radio, which owns a string of Detroit-area radio stations including oldies standby WOMC-FM [[104.3), Rassel said.

The main sponsor of CruisIN’ the D’ is Clear Channel Communications, which owns many stations important to Detroiters, Reed said.
    The instant money squabbles enter the picture, everything goes to crap. LOL!

This weekend is the Dream Cruise. I had always wondered why the Cruise never started in Detroit. Why not Highland Park in the parking lot in one of the massive strip malls that lined both sides of Woodward? Will Detroit ever participate in the Dream Cruise? Any thoughts or answers?
    Because the Dream Cruise is meant to be a "tribute" to the days back in the 1950s and 60s when kids cruised from drive-in to drive-in looking for members of the opposite sex. Everyone went north of 8 Mile to make the loop up to Square Lake Road. There was the Wigwam restaurant at 10 Mile then the Totem Pole. North of 12 Mile was Suzie Q's and so forth until you got to Ted's up at Square Lake Rd. Maybe you saw a "speed competition" on the dark stretches of Woodward north of Maple Road.

Then you did a U-turn and headed south and cruised the drive-ins to see who was there, what cars they were driving and who had the hot cars.

So the heritage and history of cruising was on that section of Woodward - north of 8 Mile and south of Square Lake Road. No conspiracy theories needed.

Even if you wanted to re-write history to fit a narrative the cruisers will go where they can be seen. I just made a lap of Woodward and there are tons of people lining Woodward from Long Lake Road to as far south as I went - 12 Mile Road.

My guess is no one is sitting in lawn chairs along Woodward south of 8 Mile.

No one want to have their precious classic and orphan cars showing off in the ghetto hoods of Highland Park and Detroit. No wants to cruise the investments down the rough streets in Highland Park and Detroit. Their classic cars might get stolen, jacked, and crash by speedy crazy drivers. It's hard to and very expensive to find replacement parts once your investment [[ like a 68 G.T.O.) gets destroyed!
    Last edited by Danny; August-15-14 at 07:34 AM.

Plenty of drag racing already happening in Detroit......every nite.

Highland Park is just such an unfortunate area. It will likely not see any of the development or investment, the blight removal, or the re-lighting that Detroit is getting - at least for a while. For now it is just an ugly 2 mile stretch along Woodward.

In the future I could see them doing a Detroit stretch from New Center to the river, which is all very walkable [[especially after the new arena area is finished) and lined with restaurants/retail.

No offense man but who would be dumb enough to park their car in HP. I mean you just came up with one of the worst ideas ever.

I could definitely see it moving to detroit summer of 2017, when the rail is complete, and the redwings arena is wrapping up, I think they would start at Grand Blvd. and drive down to Jefferson... honestly there are way more people in a denser area in greater downtown and especially with campus martius/grand circus there could be some awesome events during it

really would be shocked if by 2017 they weren't downtown/midtown cruising

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Wasn't the Dream Cruise started to revive the cruising and street racing scene of the 50's and 60's. Everyone ran their cars and hit all the burger joints and root beer stands. Back then this was all well north of 8 mile. I was late to the party and started racing my 71 Olds 442 W-30 in the mid 70's. I only made it out to Woodward a few times. Hot spots for me were Telegraph at West Chicago, Northline behind Metro Airport was a prime racing spot. A bit of action on Fort Street in Southgate and Riverview. The absolute best for racing was Saturday night after 2am on Allen Rd between Pennsylvania and Sibley by the graveyard, right near Detroit Dragway. Cops knew we were there and never bothered us. Some guys brought cars on trailers there. Fun times for sure.
    Don't forget about the White Castle on Warren and Livernois. Always was good street racing there in the mid 70's to late 80's. Guys use to bring their cars on trailers looking for action. Also
    Oakman Blvd near I-75 and more recently Outer Drive and the Southfield Fwy until the Po-Po got wind of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    No one want to have their precious classic and orphan cars showing off in the ghetto hoods of Highland Park and Detroit. No wants to cruise the investments down the rough streets in Highland Park and Detroit. They classic cars might get stolen, jacked, and crash by speedy crazy drivers. It's hard to and very expensive to find replacement parts once your investment [[ like a 68 G.T.O.) gets destroyed!
    With all due respect Danny, I know plenty of guys that have muscle and classic cars that LIVE in Detroit. You just have to be careful and aware of your surroundings. But as other posters suggested, fear of crime is the biggest reason the cruise hasn't migrated south of 8 Mile.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; August-15-14 at 02:03 AM.

Wasn't there one year where there was a cruise event at the State Fairgrounds? So that was past 8 mile at least.

You would have to stop before 6 mile where Woodward bottlenecks and Highland park begins

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Wasn't there one year where there was a cruise event at the State Fairgrounds? So that was past 8 mile at least.
    Yes, it was past 8 mile. In an enclosed, secured area.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    No offense man but who would be dumb enough to park their car in HP. I mean you just came up with one of the worst ideas ever.
    you're not being dumb but you do know that there are two large strip mall parking lots that lined Woodward where participants could park their cars, heavily watched, in the lots.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast