Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Whole Foods in Detroit after one year.

Has there been any data on how the Whole Foods in Detroit has performed since opening? How is the revenue relative to other Whole Foods in the Midwest?

Whole Foods in Detroit is doing great. Pack with customers. Providing awesome real organic food. Not those cheap process ghetto food from those ghetto markets. Thank-you Whole Foods are making Detroiters eat right.

Cool thread. I'm glad of HF in the D overall to add more choice for food. I have talked to the management about having more options for juices or tea low carb based drinks beyond the $3.99+ small bottle 'boutique' collection they mostly have. Too expensive for regular consumption, so I prefer Trader Joes when I simply want a non-high fructose options I can afford consistently.

Even though I am not a regular due to their high pricing I've gotten to know much of their staff and the chefs who prepare their cooked foods. IMO their spinach pie it is the best! Their buffet section continues to provide good options of decent take home dinner or lunch over the fast food crap. I love the curry options when the provide them. Their Bran muffins are great but otherwise I find their pastries unremarkable.

Whole Foods remains the 'whos-who' where you may run into anyone from a newscaster to a local active or retired politician and just Detroiter's who want to eat better and find organic options. But they remain only my specialty store, not my main stay. I never use a large shopping cart as I know I will not being buying much. I watch for their coupons and discounts. When my income stream is better I tend to go to HF more.

I wish we had a Trader Joes. TJ does not make the claim of being fully organic, yet they sell many lower processed, less chemical laden products and are often cheaper.

Speaking of price. I was disgusted to see Miracle Whip at University Market for $4.99! That's 'captive audience' pricing! Like you cannot go elsewhere. I know M-Whip is not 'health food' deluxe, but I can get if for as low as $3.79 on at Meijer! So I rarely go in the UM to shop either.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-15-14 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Cool thread. I am glad HF in the D overall to add more choice for food. I have talked to the management about having more options for juices or tea low carb based drinks beyond the $3.99+ small bottle boutique collection they mostly have. Too expensive for regular consumption, so I prefer Trader Joes when I simply want a non-high fructose options I can afford consistently.

Even though I am not a regular due to their high pricing I've gotten to know much of their staff and the chefs who prepare their cooked foods. IMO their spinach pie it is the best! Their buffet section continues to provide good options of decent take home dinner or lunch over the fast food crap. I love the curry options when the provide them. Their Bran muffins are great but otherwise I find their pastries unremarkable.

Whole Foods remains the 'whos-who' where you may run into anyone from a newscaster to a local active or retired politician and just Detroits who want to eat better and find organic options. But they remain only my specialty store, not my main stay. I never use a large shopping cart as I know I will not being buying much. I watch for their coupons and discounts. When my income stream is better I tend to go to HF more.

I wish we had a Trader Joes. TJ does not make the claim of being fully organic, yet they sell many lower processed, less chemical laden products and are often cheaper.

Speaking of price. I was disgusted to see Miracle Whip at University Market for $4.99! That's 'captive audience' pricing! Like you cannot go elsewhere. I know M-Whip is not 'health food' deluxe, but I can get if for as low as $3.79 on at Meijer! So I rarely go in the UM to shop either.
    Try the TJ's in GP. You'll have to figure out a way to get around the barn, though.

Oh you know I'm a on it! I already go the one on Kerchevel in GP. I've worked on that side of Detroit so I know all the methods to get in, before the walls and barns and certainly after! Otherwise I hit the Trader Joes on Woodward in RO.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Try the TJ's in GP. You'll have to figure out a way to get around the barn, though.

It has always been that way. In 1950, the Red Arrow Market a block and a half from my house was more expensive than the Wrigley's a mile away. Supermarkets and chains run at a very, very low margin between wholesale and retail. Smaller stores need a greater markup to survive. Compare prices today between a 7-11 and Kroger for the same item.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    It has always been that way. In 1950, the Red Arrow Market a block and a half from my house was more expensive than the Wrigley's a mile away. Supermarkets and chains run at a very, very low margin between wholesale and retail. Smaller stores need a greater markup to survive. Compare prices today between a 7-11 and Kroger for the same item.
    Very true.

You don't go to places like University Foods for the reasonable prices, but just for the ambiance of shopping at a mom & pop store.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Very true.

You don't go to places like University Foods for the reasonable prices, but just for the ambiance of shopping at a mom & pop store.
    We liked Frank and son Tony at the Red Arrow [[Whittier and Somerset). If my mother wanted a couple of pounds of ground beef, a loaf of bread, or a quart of milk, she would send me down there on my bike. For shopping for the week, it was Wrigleys or Big Bear.

Does Whole Foods make pot pies [[chicken, beef, turkey)? Just curious.

Zacha, I agree that Whole Goods' pastries are generally unremarkable. Their fresh breads made in-store at many locations are often mediocre, too, though they are a million times better than the breads that come in a plastic bag [[including the ones sold at Whole Foods). Does the Detroit location carry Avalon breads? If so, I imagine that could be a good option.

Also, to clarify, Whole Foods does not claim to be fully organic. In fact, much of the year, at least half [[if not more) of their produce is not organic. But at least Whole Foods makes organic produce and other foods available to people who seek them out and who have the budget to make the purchase.

IMO, these guys have the best multi-grain bread, bar none. Bring a dolly, you'll need it to get a loaf home!

https://www.facebook.com/OnTheRiseBa...type=1&theater

^^^ Cool! Now if I can just get myself to like 'multi-grain' bread. I don't like the blended flavor. Do they carry wheat alone bread?

Indeed it's imazing how much crap is shoved into most commercial bagged bread; wheat or bleached white. Like why do they put high-fructose corn syrup in a loaf a bread. I don't buy that kind of bread.

Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post
    ...Their [HF'd] fresh breads made in-store at many locations are often mediocre, too, though they are a million times better than the breads that come in a plastic bag [[including the ones sold at Whole Foods).

Like why do they put high-fructose corn syrup in a loaf a bread. I don't buy that kind of bread.
    Yeast needs sugar. HFCS is a cheap source of sugar - in fact it's even better than regular sucrose [[table sugar) for baking because it's glucose bonded to a fructose molecule [[fruit sugar) so there's more carbon for the yeast to metabolize. There isn't much left after rising, as the yeast "eats" most of it and turns it into alcohol [[there's more alcohol in bread than in non-alcoholic beer) but it's still on the label because it's technically an ingredient.

Then again, I hated organic chemistry

Yes, cheap is always the motivator, thus why HFCS is used so much. Now more bread products are SAYING in their ingredient list that they are using sugar. Who knows what is really being used.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick1 View Post
    Has there been any data on how the Whole Foods in Detroit has performed since opening? How is the revenue relative to other Whole Foods in the Midwest?
    It has to be high. I'm there at least once a week and it is usually always jam packed. I get everything there but staples like paper towels, etc..and bread. [[Like Hollywood's multi-grain or Nortown Bakery for white)

I'm glad they're here.

Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post
    Zacha, I agree that Whole Goods' pastries are generally unremarkable. Their fresh breads made in-store at many locations are often mediocre, too, though they are a million times better than the breads that come in a plastic bag [[including the ones sold at Whole Foods). Does the Detroit location carry Avalon breads? If so, I imagine that could be a good option.

Also, to clarify, Whole Foods does not claim to be fully organic. In fact, much of the year, at least half [[if not more) of their produce is not organic. But at least Whole Foods makes organic produce and other foods available to people who seek them out and who have the budget to make the purchase.

it certainly does.. and it certainly is

I think the Detroit Whole Foods has the most diverse customer base of any business in the city. I don't know if that helps there bottom line, but it certainly makes them stand out. Did anyone take advantage of Viti Day on Friday? There were some good deals to be had.

Good Point! I always try to catch their SALES, which enables me to purchase thier food and other products.

When Whole Foods came, Zaccaro's closed! If Zaccaro's move further up Midtown near Wayne State University. Then it would remain in business for years to come.

Indeed it's imazing how much crap is shoved into most commercial bagged bread; wheat or bleached white. Like why do they put high-fructose corn syrup in a loaf a bread. I don't buy that kind of bread.
    Remember, whole wheat bread doesn't actually mean much. Bread is pretty much made from wheat, so... A lot of whole wheat bread is actually white bread with color additives to give it that whole wheat look and make you think you're eating better. Whole grain or multi grain breads are what you want to eat for better nutrition.

Now back to Whole Foods.

^^^ Great points, I just need to find a good multi grain to like.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-17-14 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick1 View Post
    I've heard thirdhand that it's one of the top performers in the country. Most of its prices are also lower than the other WFs in the area.

HB

^^^ Great points, I just need to find a good multi grain to like.
    My wife found a multigrain at COSTCO that was super good and made great sandwiches. After about three months, i was reading the label on the wrapping and found out how many calories were in each slice. Yikes!

Default Amazon is Buying Whole Foods

Big move for Amazon - buying a grocery chain.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/16/amazo...7-billion.html
    Last edited by clubboss; June-16-17 at 10:46 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast