Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Mayor Duggan at 6 Months

I don't know if this was discussed before; its a video from 6/30.

A community meeting where Mayor Duggan is recapping his first 6 months in office. My favorite part is from about the 28 minute to 32 minute section, where he is talking about the Land Bank Auction, and specifically the Marygrove area. There is a nice graphic showing where there are 101 abandoned properties, and then the colors change to indicate 35 whose owners have signed consent agreements and another 40 whose title the city has acquired. It gives one a sense that maybe, just maybe, this program is actually working and neighborhoods can turn around.

It seems like such a simple idea to intensively target neighborhoods on an individual basis in a short time, so people can have a sense of a turnaround.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep7a...gJrrcw&index=2

I also am impressed when he talks about driving the neighborhood himself to check on progress. He is obviously so jazzed up to see houses being improved, and I hope his optimism is infectious.

Street lighting in place in some Detroit ghetto hoods others are in progress.

Trash bulk pick up is now privatized and hauling trash in time.

Most of its parks are clean up.

Police raids in most drug houses are clean up.

more regional businesses are coming to Downtown [[Gilberttown) Detroit and rest of midtown.

Duggan is Detroit Mayor in action. He's a do something mayor. I thank him for moving the city forward. He's cleaning up Coleman Young's Kwame Kilpatrick's and Dave Bing's mess.

YAY Duggan!
    Last edited by Danny; August-14-14 at 03:56 PM.

Duggan is interesting in that he comes from the McNamara machine, and you get sense that he's not necessarily free of corruption. That said, he's very capable at getting deals done and working with the business community, and can turn a profit. I get a sense that he'll get a lot done in Detroit, but not without a few shady dealings.

What's new? It's better, I suppose, than someone who gets nothing done and still manages to be shady at the same time [[*cough*Bing*cough*).

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    Duggan is interesting in that he comes from the McNamara machine, and you get sense that he's not necessarily free of corruption. That said, he's very capable at getting deals done and working with the business community, and can turn a profit. I get a sense that he'll get a lot done in Detroit, but not without a few shady dealings.

What's new? It's better, I suppose, than someone who gets nothing done and still manages to be shady at the same time [[*cough*Bing*cough*).
    You want your mayor to have connections, just not abuse them.

What did Coleman Young did for Detroit?

1. Got rid of STRESS!

2. Provide better middle class Detroit neighborhood homes for poor welfare and food stamp folks. [[ White middle Detroiters didn't like it so they move away faster.)

3. Plan for Afrocentric regionalism in Downtown Detroit [[ that didn't work.)

4. Provide jobs, jobs, jobs, by get rid of Poletown and build a Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly Plant. [[White Polish folks didn't like it, but it saved Hamtramck.)

That's about it. The rest he swears at everyone in Detroit City Government, politicians, regional investors, white people, local and national media, unions and even President Reagan.

Say a word against his ideals and he will cuss at you!
    Last edited by Danny; August-14-14 at 08:30 PM.

I want the neighborhood blight removal to be more aggressive, and for more neighborhood jobs to be created for it. The recent US-Africa summit should have been used as an opportunity to pitch for African investors and immigrants to come to Detroit.

Mayor Duggan, advice, don't appear in public with Matty Maroun. Your credibility with the public will only suffer.

Let's also keep in mind that Kevyn Orr is still around, so there isn't a whole lot of obstruction going on.

That's not to say I'm not impressed by Duggan so far, but I'll be interesting to see what he's able to accomplish once Orr leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I want the neighborhood blight removal to be more aggressive, and for more neighborhood jobs to be created for it. The recent US-Africa summit should have been used as an opportunity to pitch for African investors and immigrants to come to Detroit.
    Let's wait until the Ebola outbreak has simmered down before crossing that bridge...

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    You want your mayor to have connections, just not abuse them.
    Bingo! And so far, Duggan has done a pretty good job of using his connections without seeming to be extremely corrupt. Problem is, this is only six months in. If he keeps up this pace, I think we'll see some pretty stark changes to the city in a mostly-positive way. But we've seen rushes of "oh man this looks super promising", only to end up weeping into our store-brand Cheerios because someone stole our Cheerio Brand Cheerios out of our car.

That Great Guy Guest

I'm in favor of annexing all of Wayne, Oakland and Macomb Counties to the City of Detroit.

I live in Dearborn and this city could be a section of Detroit much like Palmer Park I see both SMART and DDOT buses and ride them both to and from work. Regional cooperation is the answer.Let's all work together for the benefit of all.

Quote Originally Posted by That Great Guy View Post
    I'm in favor of annexing all of Wayne, Oakland and Macomb Counties to the City of Detroit.

I live in Dearborn and this city could be a section of Detroit much like Palmer Park I see both SMART and DDOT buses and ride them both to and from work. Regional cooperation is the answer.Let's all work together for the benefit of all.
    It's a nice dream, but I don't see it happening [[at least not any time soon).

What did Kwame Kilpatrick did for Detroit?

1. Improve city parks

2. Calm the Great Northwest-Northwest blackout of 2003

That's about it. The rest he pimp, party at his Manoogian Mansion and spend more city taxes of himself and his black mafia gangs and playing with himself on his cell phone by text sexting to his lover Christine Beatty.

Say a word to Y'alls boy and he make you holla before he sends his bodyguards to kill you just like he did to Tamera Green.
    Last edited by Danny; August-15-14 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by That Great Guy View Post

Not going to happen, forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Let's also keep in mind that Kevyn Orr is still around, so there isn't a whole lot of obstruction going on.

That's not to say I'm not impressed by Duggan so far, but I'll be interesting to see what he's able to accomplish once Orr leaves.

i actually think he's gonna get even more done.. I would like to see him have full control over city departments currently [[especially DPD).. I think he's got a knack for getting people to cooperate with each other and with himself... Orr has been good at getting the finances straight [[lord knows the city needed it) but Duggan is doing a great job so far with everything that has been handed to him.. excited to see what's next!

Don't get me wrong, I think he's doing a pretty good job so far to this point. But isn't it hard to judge because we are comparing apples and oranges. By that I mean Duggan has walked into a situation that, barring him being completely incompetent, he would be a success compared to his predecessors.

It's always easy to walk up and sink a free throw after the kid before you misses 50 in a row.

I think that if we give this guy a grade, it needs to be after 24 months of Kevin Orr calling most of the shots. Overall, I have faith in this guy though.

Hah!! How eh, 'politically incorrect', yet a risk that cannot be completely dismissed. Parts of Africa are quarantining neighboring countries and cities. Including restricting air traffic. They know the un-sanitized face of this epidemic as it is playing out in regions of west Africa.

Let's wait until the Ebola outbreak has simmered down before crossing that bridge...
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-15-14 at 08:31 PM.

Say is ain't so Danny...... it was a gravy train for friends and family until the train ran out of tracks!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Say a word to Y'alls boy and he make you holla before he sends his bodyguards to kill you just like he did to Tamera Green.

I was so hoping for some baby pictures when I saw the title of this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by 220hendrie1910 View Post
    I was so hoping for some baby pictures when I saw the title of this thread!
    Very good!

It's a nice dream, but I don't see it happening [[at least not any time soon).
    The Detroit clownsil would only make up about 14% of the governing body of the merged city. I am not sure they want to become "back benchers" in a city run by the ex-suburbs.