Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Michadichu: Most pumping houses in state not in good condition.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...ition-Michigan

According to MDOT, 58 percent of the pump houses are in poor condition, 20 percent in fair condition and 22 percent are in good condition.

I may be a DPS graduate but I'm pretty certain those percentages are piss-fucking-poor.

Given that much of the state's infrastructure is being allowed to crumble before our eyes as the state's economy remains in the gutter and we're handing out tax breaks to business and wealthy folks like candy [[thus losing more revenue), this doesn't surprise me one bit.

Unfortunately, it will probably take a truly catastrophic event before we take our collective heads out of our ass and decide to spare a few dollars to completely replace it all.

I don't see this changing anytime soon. We have to wait until people die or are inconvenienced to the point that it's painful. Most citizens think the state has more than enough money to upgrade its infrastructure, it just doesn't manage it efficiently.

It is wasteful to pay for any pump upgrades until they pumps can pay for themselves.

Either pay a little now or we will all pay a lot later. Just kicking the can down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    It is wasteful to pay for any pump upgrades until they pumps can pay for themselves.
    This is too true. If the pumps were run more like a business, the upgrades would pay for themselves. If only they didn't have such strong a strong pump union!

How come those lazy pumps can't pull themselves up by their bootstraps? Always waiting around for a handout from Big Brother Obama... If they worked hard, they would Succeed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    How come those lazy pumps can't pull themselves up by their bootstraps? Always waiting around for a handout from Big Brother Obama... If they worked hard, they would Succeed!!!
    Reagan said all the pumps drive Caddys and have cable TV.

Yeah! They gotta pay for themselves out of the farebox!

MDOT don't hardly take good care and maintain those freeway sump pumping stations. Some of them don't even work in 40 years. The big blame is bureaucratic politicians in Lansing can't get the job done of fixing our roads. So they went on summer vacation instead while the poor 'Mich-issippians' suffer riding on pothole, sinkhole danger roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    MDOT don't hardly take good care and maintain those freeway sump pumping stations. Some of them don't even work in 40 years. The big blame is bureaucratic politicians in Lansing can't get the job done of fixing our roads. So they went on summer vacation instead while the poor 'Mich-issippians' suffer riding on pothole, sinkhole danger roads.
    Someone has to stimulate the resort community economy, Danny. Stop being so selfish and thinking you deserve basic necessities like water-free roads and functional infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    Someone has to stimulate the resort community economy, Danny. Stop being so selfish and thinking you deserve basic necessities like water-free roads and functional infrastructure.

Your comments is non-sequitur. Who say that I'm being selfish. If only those freeway pumps are well taking care of, those 500 people and the precious chitty chitty bang bangs would be heading on home instead of getting trapped. Stimulating the resort community with my hard earned tax dollars is not serving the common good of people and this state. Fixing our dangers pothole, sinkhole flooded roads is. Let's tell Lansing and Snyder, the goofy nerd to get of roads fix NOW! not going on some vacation or saving their election year.

We the People of the Great State of Michigan [[ Mich-ississippi) demand better roads and services and we want it NOW!

Let's vote in some new people in Lansing this fall who can figure out how to pay for road repair and maintenance.

Why do I get the sense that MDOT's solution will involve construction of new bypasses?

...and people bitched and moaned about Gov. Granholm's "Fix It First" strategy. Oy vey.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Yeah! They gotta pay for themselves out of the farebox!
    Classic! Post of the Day.

Now Oakland County has admitted dumping an unprecedented 2.1 billion gallons of "partially treated" sewage into Macomb County's waterways.

Expect algae blooms and closed beaches!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Now Oakland County has admitted dumping an unprecedented 2.1 billion gallons of "partially treated" sewage into Macomb County's waterways.

They've been doing it for a long time. I would assume a lot of impacted homeowners in Macomb County will be contacting an attorney.

On a side note: It's nice to see OC finally sharing something with the region. I guess they figure since they can figuratively shit all over the region they may as well literally shit all over the region.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post

As did Macomb County:

http://www.deq.state.mi.us/csosso/ev...dSubmit=Submit

And Wayne County:

http://www.deq.state.mi.us/csosso/ev...dSubmit=Submit

It's a common occurrence after heavy rains and nothing new.

The righteous indignation is rich. All of these people are blaming the government, but did the majority actually want to pay for maintenance and upgrades before the floods? Nope. But now it's all "I can't believe those fat cats in Lansing!"

Keep sprawling, folks. We can afford it.

I love how after such a horrific winter and we are now approaching winter fast that the clowns in Lansing still don't have a road fix. The tea party's wet dream is dirt roads and all of us riding on horses with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Let's vote in some new people in Lansing this fall who can figure out how to pay for road repair and maintenance.
    I agree, Snyder can give his cronies pay hikes, but can't come to a amicable agreement with his constituents on how to fix the roads. Get someone in Lansing who ACTUALLY cares.

I bet these pumps were maintained by a union crew that never missed a paid break. Odds are taxpayers were charged several time over to pay new pumps, but the money never got past all the corruption.

They have more than enough money but choose to waste it. They are in your face with their waste. New lights at 16 and Mound? Why the old ones were not stopping traffic? Right.

More waste examples, how about signs saying "Big Beaver Road Next Intersection"? Why have a sign twice as wide as the old ones? Simple, they have the money to waste.

Next time you hear someone say they need more money for roads or road pumps, just look at all the signs that say "Next Intersection", and ask your self, "if they are wasting money, do they really need more?"

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    The righteous indignation is rich. All of these people are blaming the government, but did the majority actually want to pay for maintenance and upgrades before the floods? Nope. But now it's all "I can't believe those fat cats in Lansing!"

Keep sprawling, folks. We can afford it.
    As long as we're getting as far away from those "Detroiters" as possible, we'll just have to let the chips fall where they may.
    Last edited by 313WX; August-30-14 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Why do I get the sense that MDOT's solution will involve construction of new bypasses?

...and people bitched and moaned about Gov. Granholm's "Fix It First" strategy. Oy vey.
    You hit it, GP.

Reading this thread, I was struck by how everyone here accepts MDOTs assessment. They sure don't accept MDOTs assessment of I-94 expansion. So are they competent and right about I-94 ... or incompetent and wrong about pumping station repair needs?

The bright light here is that MDOT paying attention. So the financial glass may be 1/2 empty -- but at least we're not in denial. Would we have been happier is MDOT had issues a press release telling us that they've found 99% of pumping stations to be in perfect shape? Its that kind of thing that got Detroit in trouble. Do you remember why Coleman famously pissed off the suburbs and told criminals to hit 8 Mile? It was that DPD was going to solve Detroit's crime problem. Rose colored glasses. Thanks, MDOT for truth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast