Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit News Editorial

Detroit News Editorial, Wednesday, August 13th, 2014, "Grosse Pointe Park Stands Up To Blight. Heck I thought was reading the Grosse Pointe Snooze paper.

If that is a sample of the Detroit News commentary that all out trashes Detroit than I think they desperately need a new name leaving Detroit off. Snooze News, No News, Pompous opines come to mind. Hey maybe they could hire Mitch Albom who makes up fake stories.

The editorial actually has a positive spin for a change. I understand that some are unhappy with any article that doesn't support their personal views but there has been plenty of negative press given to this topic already. Don't be upset if something positive about GPP accidentally gets past the liberal press and gets printed. It was bound to happen.

Here's a link to the article: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...ands-up-blight

I'm of the opinion that I don't care that they're trying to get rid of connections with the blighted Detroit neighborhood.

This isn't a race issue, it's a "that's a really shitty part of Detroit" issue.

However, I do agree with people of the mindset that GPP can't put things on the part of the street that Detroit owns.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Here's a link to the article: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...ands-up-blight

I'm of the opinion that I don't care that they're trying to get rid of connections with the blighted Detroit neighborhood.

This isn't a race issue, it's a "that's a really shitty part of Detroit" issue.

However, I do agree with people of the mindset that GPP can't put things on the part of the street that Detroit owns.
    The encroachment is a non issue. If Detroit objected to the new curb and gutter [[which it now owns) that could be removed and replaced with the asphalt that used to be there. GP could even put the potholes back in. Or, GP could buy that 6-inch by 33 foot piece of roadway for the going rate of property in that part of Detroit and make it part of GP. I'm guessing it would be a very affordable purchase. The new cement will probably be left in place, now part of detroit since 6 more inches of pavement makes no difference.

It was a surveying mistake; they happen all the time. Usually when a road commission makes a mistake and accidentally paves over a few inches of a homeowner's property a couple documents get signed, a few hundred dollars change hands and that is the end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    The encroachment is a non issue. If Detroit objected to the new curb and gutter [[which it now owns) that could be removed and replaced with the asphalt that used to be there. GP could even put the potholes back in. Or, GP could buy that 6-inch by 33 foot piece of roadway for the going rate of property in that part of Detroit and make it part of GP. I'm guessing it would be a very affordable purchase. The new cement will probably be left in place, now part of detroit since 6 more inches of pavement makes no difference.

It was a surveying mistake; they happen all the time. Usually when a road commission makes a mistake and accidentally paves over a few inches of a homeowner's property a couple documents get signed, a few hundred dollars change hands and that is the end of it.
    I think the only one with a legit bitch in this whole thing is Shaw's Books. GPP could buy some goodwill there by providing large signage to let folks know it's still there.

Pretty broad consensus here that GPP handled this poorly. [[A few holdouts like me who don't see racism in every action, but let's ignore that for now.)

They did this wrong.

What should they be doing? Not about this situation, but about the border with Detroit. Does every street have to stay open? When faced with blight, must it be ignored? Or are there some actions they might take to help?
    Enough negative here. Lets go positive.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    I think the only one with a legit bitch in this whole thing is Shaw's Books. GPP could buy some goodwill there by providing large signage to let folks know it's still there.
    When are you going to share the details of GP trying to work with Detroit on a plan to make this a project that could be viable for both cities.

In a previous post, if I am not mistaken, you indicated that the planners tried to engage the city but the city was not interested. In subsequent articles, both GP and Detroit leadership indicated that there was not attempt to work with or discuss the plans with the city.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    When are you going to share the details of GP trying to work with Detroit on a plan to make this a project that could be viable for both cities.

In a previous post, if I am not mistaken, you indicated that the planners tried to engage the city but the city was not interested. In subsequent articles, both GP and Detroit leadership indicated that there was not attempt to work with or discuss the plans with the city.
    I'm not sure if I made any more of a statement than to quote what city officials said at the time. I believe you're thinking of someone else. Personally I don't think GP needs to consult anyone in Detroit on this project other than in regard to proper survey of boundaries...and vice versa if Detroit were doing something similar.
    Last edited by bailey; August-14-14 at 10:56 AM.

So you would be fine with it if Detroit chose to move a number of halfway houses and homeless shelters directly on Alter without getting any feedback from GP? Perhaps they could use that shutoff segment of Kercheval on the Detroit side to build a homeless shelter and move the homeless from one area of the city to that location. I mean, it is their land and all so they can do what they want without any need to consult GP.

I'm sure CC could act quickly If zoning needed to be changed to accomodate it.

Perhaps the concept of civility and being decent neighbors is lost on some.
    Last edited by jt1; August-14-14 at 11:21 AM.

Oh my God, let this one die already. GPP put brand new curb and gutter on a busted up street that happens to be in an adjacent city. Probably about $50k improvements that Detroit now owns.

Not sure what would make some on here happy. People downtown [[from Detroit and GP) appear to be enjoying themselves on Kerchieval.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    So you would be fine with it if Detroit chose to move a number of halfway houses and homeless shelters directly on Alter without getting any feedback from GP? Perhaps they could use that shutoff segment of Kercheval on the Detroit side to build a homeless shelter and move the homeless from one area of the city to that location. I mean, it is their land and all so they can do what they want without any need to consult GP.
    I think you're confusing "not being all that pleased with it" and "having a veto on it"

Perhaps the concept of civility and being decent neighbors is lost on some.
    Clearly. Along its border there, GPP has put up with some of the most blighted and ignored areas of Detroit for 30 years.

If one's neighbor puts up a privacy fence so he doesn't have to look at the detritus strewn all over one's yard, one doesn't get to bitch and moan about the look of the fence.

If one's neighbor puts up a privacy fence so he doesn't have to look at the detritus strewn all over one's yard, one doesn't get to bitch and moan about the look of the fence.
    Pretty good analogy.

Oh my God, let this one die already. GPP put brand new curb and gutter on a busted up street that happens to be in an adjacent city. Probably about $50k improvements that Detroit now owns.

Not sure what would make some on here happy. People downtown [[from Detroit and GP) appear to be enjoying themselves on Kerchieval.
    You apparently don't understand that keeping the flames of hate alive is more important than working to solve common problems.

On the bright side, I firmly believe that the majority opinion is that GPP is welcoming to everyone and that they want GPP to be the best that it can be for residents, and the area.

Are there racist fools in GPP? Are some of those fools in power? Yes! The existence of exceptions does not prove much. Don't seek out the problems. Work for solutions.

Just when you thought it was safe to post on DetroitYES!....

OMG, the GPP Berlin Wall

Part II, The Sequel

Coming to an internet access near you.

I think you're confusing "not being all that pleased with it" and "having a veto on it"

Clearly. Along its border there, GPP has put up with some of the most blighted and ignored areas of Detroit for 30 years.

I would be too embarrassed to bitch about the fence. I would start cleaning up my yard.

What an idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post

OMG, the GPP Berlin Wall

Part II, The Sequel

To be fair I first saw it as a strange barn and cement block and it was offensive. Now it has cutesy stucco and murals. Personally I am now pleased at that blockage. Trendy bars for roughly 3.5 miles, a trolley to tote around youthful drunks. Wow I am impressed. Very trendy, very scary.

That barricade will keep generational alcoholics out of my neighborhood. Thank you GP's, keep your issues in your neighborhood and we will deal with ours.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    To be fair I first saw it as a strange barn and cement block and it was offensive. Now it has cutesy stucco and murals. Personally I am now pleased at that blockage. Trendy bars for roughly 3.5 miles, a trolley to tote around youthful drunks. Wow I am impressed. Very trendy, very scary.

That barricade will keep generational alcoholics out of my neighborhood. Thank you GP's, keep your issues in your neighborhood and we will deal with ours.
    Yeah, that's real logical. Now you have medically diagnosed the people of GP into a stereotype.

But it sounds like you're committed to deal with the issues [["we'll deal with ours"). Looking forward to the results.

Detroit has no substance abusers, don't you watch the news?

Now HT you said you were gonna be good if we let you out to play again......!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post

OMG, the GPP Berlin Wall

Part II, The Sequel

The worst part of this editorial is that either the Detroit News is being clueless or disingenuous. Walling off Detroit from Grosse Pointe will not stop Grosse Pointe from becoming blighted.

Yes, I've worked in that area and some of the 'drop off' on the GP etc border is bad, really bad. Period.

There's nothing truly impregnable about the wall, the barn etc. I did some shopping at Trader Joes in the Pointes the other day. The only thing they've done is make it harder for someone committing a crime to zip back out of GP fast. The same road blocking has been done in parts of Palmer Woods. Along with heightened security in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    The worst part of this editorial is that either the Detroit News is being clueless or disingenuous. Walling off Detroit from Grosse Pointe will not stop Grosse Pointe from becoming blighted.

But continued whining about reasonable actions of others will endure Detroit's failure.

Go do something good and stop tossing hate.

We don't need a wall for that. The Pointes have ordinances and they are actually enforced. The cops actually solve a large percentage of the crimes, too.

What the cul de sac does is make the street safer and more pleasant to walk for GPP and all its visitors.

So much wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth. You'd think some folks on here would have more important things to do with their time than to wax on endlessly about something that they likely will never visit and just as likely will have zero effect on their lives. If it was any city other than one of the Pointes there would not be the incessant cyber-wailing that we have seen for the last several months.

Let's try to stay rational here, please:
    There is no wall.
    There are no guard towers.
    Nobody will be stopped and and told to show their papers.
    There are not dozens of streets blocked off from Detroit.
    There is no sign telling Detroit folks to keep out.
    There are no secret police roaming among the crowds in the street waiting to drag Detroiters back across the border.

This is a farmer's market designed to enhance a small part of G.P.P. and it is open to anyone.

Can this ridiculous argument finally end?

We don't need a wall for that. The Pointes have ordinances and they are actually enforced. The cops actually solve a large percentage of the crimes, too.
    For your sake I do hope that wishful thinking is enough to keep blight out of the Pointes. However, I think when you take a look at the bigger picture you'll find something going on far beyond just code enforcement and solving petty crimes. The Detroit News would've been performing a better public service for both the Pointes and Detroit had they decided to bring attention to that instead. But like I said they're either being disingenuous or they're clueless.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast