Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default New Apple iPad ad, features Slow Roll Detroit

There is a one minute commercial that is going to be on television, and there's a whole web page, and another 2 minute video discussing Jason Hall, founder of the Slow Roll [[and how he uses his iPad to organize it).

Actually a really awesome page, i highly recommend checking it out.

Glad to see some more positive Detroit national coverage

http://www.apple.com/your-verse/orga...us-yv-jason-rd

Cool closing shot of the commercial with the caption "What will your verse be?" Name:  Screen Shot 2014-08-11 at 6.37.44 PM.jpg
Views: 2953
Size:  40.6 KB
    Last edited by SpartanDawg; August-11-14 at 05:38 PM.

Pretty cool... if you're a hipster.

I know several Detroit originals who do the slow roll, and they are far from hipsters, [[several are Cass Tech grads from the 80s), and come from all walks of life, young and old. Cheers to Jason for getting the pub, and cheers to Mos Def for dropping the Marvin Gaye

Too bad Jason Hall has to get in his car and drive out to an Apple store at Somerset to get service since there are no Apple stores in Detroit.

Hamtragedy: Yeah, I'd say that most of the people in Slow Roll are pretty successful and educated.

The July 7th slow roll was one of the most fun things I did all summer, and I'm definitely not a hipster.

Jesus Christ people the hipster comment was a joke, hence the winky face. Typically when cyclists are mentioned on this board someone is usually pretty quick to call them hipsters. I figured I'd get it over with first.

Now, about Slow Roll, I've participated in many Slow Rolls and always had a wonderful time. It truly is an awesome thing to see thousands of people of all walks of life smiling and riding together. It's hilarious to see some of the suburbanites faces as the group travels through Boston Edison. Many of them have no idea that there are neighborhoods in the city that are so nice. As stupid as it sounds this weekly bike ride is changing people's perception of Detroit in a mostly positive way.

Quote Originally Posted by subsidized View Post
    Now, about Slow Roll, I've participated in many Slow Rolls and always had a wonderful time. It truly is an awesome thing to see thousands of people of all walks of life smiling and riding together. It's hilarious to see some of the suburbanites faces as the group travels through Boston Edison. Many of them have no idea that there are neighborhoods in the city that are so nice. As stupid as it sounds this weekly bike ride is changing people's perception of Detroit in a mostly positive way.
    haha that's actually pretty awesome... i don't have a bike down here so what are my options to do it? they don't happen to rent any out for the day do they.. i'm definitely trying to get in on it before the good weather is gone

I've seen a lot of people on Zagster rental bikes from Gilbert's buildings. Or you could check out Wheelhouse in Rivard Plaza on the riverwalk I know they have rentals available. There's also a Slow Roll Facebook group. If you post a message on there someone might have an extra bike they'd let you use. Hopefully you're able to make it out, it's a real good time.

Quote Originally Posted by subsidized View Post
    Jesus Christ people the hipster comment was a joke, hence the winky face. Typically when cyclists are mentioned on this board someone is usually pretty quick to call them hipsters. I figured I'd get it over with first.
    Ahh...Sarcasm and Internet...Wait are we supposed to hate on hipsters now too? Shit I can't keep them all straight. We need to make a list.

^^^ Looks like one big 'happy' family of all kinds of folks of all strata and all kinds of bikes from the fancy to the rag-tag peddle doo-dads pulling up the rear! I saw them going downtown along second I think heading downtown.

It was something to see. For sure a positive vision and activity for the D. Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    haha that's actually pretty awesome... i don't have a bike down here so what are my options to do it? they don't happen to rent any out for the day do they.. i'm definitely trying to get in on it before the good weather is gone
    When I came to Detroit for 5 days I picked up a bike on craigslist for $40. It was cheaper than renting one from Wheelhouse for a single slow roll, because that requires an overnight rental for $50 [[they close for the night before slow roll is over.) When my vacation was done I gave the bike to a local friend.