Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Elephant buried below Summit Place Mall

I've never heard about this before. What an odd story...

http://www.freep.com/article/2014081...mit-place-mall

There was a discussion here a few months ago about Summit Place and a few posts about the elephant. I've been involved in burying a few cows and horses and those were sometimes a huge ordeal due to their size and difficulty in moving them. I can't even imagine how one would handle a dead elephant other than burying it on location as was done here.

It makes sense since it's the official Michigan state fossil.

Default 3525: Fossils of large mammals found that once roamed Detroit area

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I've never heard about this before. What an odd story...

http://www.freep.com/article/2014081...mit-place-mall
    May the next developer keep their eyes open, so when indeed they encounter elephant bones they’ll know what it was all about.

Dateline 3525 CE: "Last Thursday, construction workers building new housing for Chinese laborers near Telegraph Road - between Pontiac Lake and Elizabeth Lake roads - unearthed the skeleton of an elephant, one of many that freely roamed the former Detroit area 1,600 years ago. The elephant had apparently become trapped under a pile of construction debris from a former office complex or mall, died, and was covered by sediment over the intervening centuries. Scientists from the local Xin Hua University Department of Zoology and Paleontology will be studying the fossilized remains for clues as to the elephant's life and untimely demise."

There was a certain Joey Co--- in Rochester Hills who allowed a dead baby elephant from a carnival to be buried in his parents backyard while they were out of town. [[For a carton of cigarettes and fifth of Jack and who was 13). This was back in the sixties.
    This must be the legendary elephant graveyard people speak about. ; )