Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default 6 months into DNR control, how has Belle Isle changed?

Sunday marked six months since the Michigan Department of Natural Resources took over control of Detroit’s Belle Isle Park in one of the state’s more controversial moves of recent years.

Since then, the DNR has moved aggressively to quell complaints about the takeover and to keep its promise to improve the island park. It has removed about 200 hazardous trees, reopened most of the restrooms that the City of Detroit had locked for lack of maintenance money, got the classic Scott Fountain operating again 12 hours a day all summer. And, most controversially, Michigan State Police cracked down on speeders and other violators.

As a result of state control, Belle Isle has been cleaner, less rowdy, and probably safer this summer than at any time in years. It also has seen less usage, although hard numbers are unavailable because the city previously never made anything more than vague estimates of the number of visitors. But Michele Hodges, president of the nonprofit Belle Isle Conservatory, which raises money for park projects, says attendance clearly is down from previous years when the park could be jammed on summer days.

If the grade on state control remains incomplete after just six months, Ron Olson, chief of parks and recreation for the state DNR, said it has been a good start on keeping the state’s promises.

“There’s a been a lot of things accomplished. There’s a lot more to do,” he said last week. “This is the beginning, not the end. I think we’ve improved a lot. Whether we made some mistakes or people think we have, we’re trying to address the process as best we can.”

full article here
    http://www.freep.com/article/2014081...NR-Conservancy

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    ... attendance clearly is down from previous years when the park could be jammed on summer days....
    Hodges attributes the drop in usage to two issues: Confusion over a state park use fee that many visitors didn’t know how to pay, and controversy over state police enforcement of speed limits on the island and other regulations....

The perception that fewer people are visiting Belle Isle is a concern, Hodges said.

“Certainly it’s an alert for me,” Hodges said. “It says we have some work to do to make sure that this doesn’t go on long term, and that within the next cycle we’re back to where it should be both from a numbers standpoint as well as a diversity standpoint because this can’t be just a white island.”
    <wince> It kind of defeats the purpose of a park when attendance drops. At least she recognizes that as a problem.

I think especially with the required fee of 11 dollars, a lot of people were put off by it [[even though i'm pretty sure they gave a 1 year grace period, and you don't need it yet).. i think with a full year under their belt next summer is when we will really be able to tell the difference and see the improvements.

also they do need to set up a place at the entrance to pay for the pass right there.. because lord knows nobody wants to go to the secretary of state and deal with it

I didn't think I would say this, because I generally don't trust Lansing to do crap when it comes to the city [[or really anything but crap), but the park is definitely improved in a good way. It seems nicer, and much more welcoming.

The lowered attendance is a real concern though. People I talk to over here in the neighborhood are scared to go there. Unhappy with the admission charge for a place they've been going to for generations for free [[or, more to the point, for just their local tax dollars). But even more concerned they will be pulled over and charged the fee, and then harassed over petty offenses or put through a lengthy hassle looking for some minor offenses.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    they do need to set up a place at the entrance to pay for the pass right there.. because lord knows nobody wants to go to the secretary of state and deal with it
    This would go a long way to bringing more people in I think. A lot of people in Detroit who never go to state parks [[meaning pretty much all of us) don't understand how the system works, are unsure of how to pay the admission fee, and don't realize that one payment covers the whole year.

And, even if they do, who the hell wants to go through the hassle of waiting around the Secretary of State office for an $11 sticker just so they can go to the park?
    Last edited by EastsideAl; August-11-14 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    And, even if they do, who the hell wants to go through the hassle of waiting around the Secretary of State office for an $11 sticker just so they can go to the park?
    Maybe the people at the SoS registering cars could encourage people to pay for it as they renew their tags. Every time I've registered a vehicle here, it's never come up unless I remember to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by gvidas View Post
    Maybe the people at the SoS registering cars could encourage people to pay for it as they renew their tags. Every time I've registered a vehicle here, it's never come up unless I remember to ask.
    actually i was just at the SOS about a month ago, and it did actually come up. The lady asked if I want the state park pass and I instantly said 'no thanks'.. then i realized that actually I do need it [[for belle isle) and backtracked immediately... so I do have it now thanks to the lady asking me

I was there yesterday and it's hard to believe attendance is "down." It was packed in just about every area on the island, from what I could tell.

I think one thing they need to improve is the education/pass process. People are probably afraid/reluctant to pay the fee, or don't even know how. It should be more heavily advertised how the whole thing works.

I have always been asked if I wanted the $11 [[Was $10) State Parks endorsement when I renew my plates. I think you can also add it when renewing online or by mail, so there is no need for a trip to the SOS. I'm not sure about Belle Isle, but at most other parks the Rangers and some other DNR staff often carry the stickers with them for sale. The stickers are the same charge, they just go on the windshield instead of the letter on your plate.

I think that it would be cool to have some sort of small trolley on the island for people who want to walk to the island and not pay the fee. I saw this at Balboa park in San Diego and thought that a similar service could really increase attendance on the island.
    Last edited by dmike76; August-11-14 at 09:56 AM.

The OABI [[Once Around Belle Isle) was so crowded Saturday that they were sold out on the beach. The paddle boards were all rented and they even had yoga class for the people on the paddle boards. The Fowling area was great. I've seen more picnics all over the Island than I've ever seen going over there for 40 years. BTW, did you see the state pulled out 50 trash barrels from the canals?
    I'm seeing many more bikes of all kinds. The character of the island is changing. I think this is how the island was maybe 60 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    I think that it would be cool to have some sort of small trolley on the island for people who want to walk to the island and not pay the fee. I saw this at Balboa park in San Diego and thought that a similar service could really increase attendance on the island.

this is definitely something i've been thinking about too... i wonder if the state/city would allow a private company to even do this? basically buy a chunk of property right by the bridge near the riverfront, allow people to park there, and have the option of taking a trolley to across the bridge..

or also have in that parking lot the option to rent a bike to take to the island, as that is also free of charge... whoever capitalizes on this first will make a good chunk of change, i would imagine

obviously the key to this is having the parking be free of charge and just charge a few dollars a person for the trolley/ renting a bike? i mean 11 dollars is really measly that if the state just set up people to sell it upon entering it would really make this all moot.

Quote Originally Posted by gvidas View Post
    It seems to me that information about the fee is on every piece of renewal paperwork I've received for each of the cars in my household since the fee became an option a couple of years ago.

State police have made more than 1,000 traffic stops since the DNR took control, ensnaring even Mayor Mike Duggan and Detroit City Clerk Janice Winfrey for speeding. City Council President Brenda Jones called the stepped-up enforcement a “disgrace.”

Yes, because more police patrolling and providing security to the visitors of the island is a disgrace. Better let it go back to the ole days, eh Brenda? People driving 50mph, open alcohol and drugs, getting the hell out of Belle Isle before dark because of how sketchy it got at night.

Yea, sounds like the only disgrace is the fact you have a job as a council representative.

We had our department picnic there 2 weeks ago. The restrooms were open, relatively clean, and had soap and paper towels. The grass was mowed. There are trash cans everywhere and very little litter on the ground. Nobody had any issues with the police. We even paid for the alcohol permit and drank all day long. It was a great time.

I've been there on my Harley a number of times in recent weeks. After going 25 mph on all tmy trips, that really feels like a good limit for the island - both in terms of providing a safe speed as well being able to see the sights. Motorcycles have a $5 fee which I wanted to purchase on the island. There is a wecoming decorated trailer just south of the bridge as you enter the island. They can take care of the fee/endorsement.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    State police have made more than 1,000 traffic stops since the DNR took control, ensnaring even Mayor Mike Duggan and Detroit City Clerk Janice Winfrey for speeding. City Council President Brenda Jones called the stepped-up enforcement a “disgrace.”

Yes, because more police patrolling and providing security to the visitors of the island is a disgrace. Better let it go back to the ole days, eh Brenda? People driving 50mph, open alcohol and drugs, getting the hell out of Belle Isle before dark because of how sketchy it got at night.

Yea, sounds like the only disgrace is the fact you have a job as a council representative.
    Agree. Never had an issue with the extra patrols. Park looks better than I can remember.

Ideally, I'd like it to circle the whole island; not just back and forth across the bridge. I didn't look to see if the tram at Balboa Park charged a fee, but I'd like it to run for free.

Maybe this is just silly math on my part but maybe attendance is down because for the six thugs there that would hang out all day being a nuisance, it's been supplanted by a family of four that actually goes out there and enjoys themselves. Call it a loss of two people with that math but I'll take it.

I've been out there a few times since the state takeover of the park and I concur with several of the other people here. It's a LOT cleaner. The grass is mowed. Trash cans are no longer overflowing, tipped over or abused. The fountain works. There are even chairs and benches for people to enjoy the fountain. The slide works.

I've seen a multitude of people having their wedding pictures taken on the island. I've seen corporate events taking place there. I've seen people playing cricket and softball there. The pavilions are being used by families for their picnics again. As far as the police presence there- I don't consider it over the top. Now that we all know not to exceed 25 MPH [[and who hasn't heard about the "outrage"), I haven't seen any blatant speeders on the island at all. I don't think the police presence is smothering nor is it omnipresent. Given the choice of seeing a few cops I'd much rather settle for that as opposed to none at all.

I think Belle Isle is on its way back. The transformation is taking place and it's going to be for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Maybe this is just silly math on my part but maybe attendance is down because for the six thugs there that would hang out all day being a nuisance, it's been supplanted by a family of four that actually goes out there and enjoys themselves. Call it a loss of two people with that math but I'll take it.
    I'd say that Belle Isle is about as diverse a crowd as you'd see at Whole Foods on Mack Ave. in Midtown. Socioeconomically speaking, I'd say that's even a little bit more even because at least on Belle Isle, you don't need to buy anything. All you have to do is behave.

If others feel like this is no longer true, I'm open to hearing how you arrive at this conclusion. I'm on the island 3-4 days per week. People are friendly, and for the most part people are staying out of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    A lot of people in Detroit who never go to state parks [[meaning pretty much all of us) don't understand how the system works, are unsure of how to pay the admission fee, and don't realize that one payment covers the whole year.

Oh I don't know... I think your fellow Detroiter's are a lot smarter than you give them credit for...

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/05/...sle-in-droves/

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Oh I don't know... I think your fellow Detroiter's are a lot smarter than you give them credit for...

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/05/...sle-in-droves/
    I, personally am going to try getting my plates 'n tag, through that new-fangled internet thing the kids are all talking about. Think the State has one of those "websites" yet?

The only thing that is down are the thugs and criminals.

Just wondering. How do they know attendance is down. I don't recall anyone counting the people entering the park.

Yes, Belle Isle has changed. The riff-raffs are gone. More state police patrols, and the grass has been cut.

Living out of the area makes it hard for me to judge....or have an opinion. All I know is during the Mariner/Tiger game broadcast back to Seattle, there was a copter shot of Belle Isle on the Scott Fountain end, and it looked very pretty. Neat and clean. And made me very homesick......

When I do my drive-by's, I notice less people, but a slightly different crowd. Even some of those "old people" with walkers and stuff. There also seem to be more Family-Type events being held there, and people seem to be more out-and-about around the island. So far, so good, but the State still has a ways to go. I think they should revamp the old golf course into a first-class golf-course. Maybe hold some kind of cup-playoff thing there. I'm not a golfer.