Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: COBO Renderings

Default COBO Renderings

Now that the Free Press has informed me that the COBO expansion has passed!
    What renderings are out there for the expanded and renovated COBO?

I hear they include a cheesecake factory and a house of blues!

Downtown diva Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I hear they include a cheesecake factory and a house of blues!
    classic!!!!!!!!!!

Whats the big deal about a Cheesecake Factory, why don't you people just settle for a Perkin's?

Stosh Guest

Oh hell, I thought they moved the Russell street slaughterhouse to Cobo.
    No renderings? Carry on.

crawford Guest

Aren't they just fixing the leaky roof and the like?

You want a pic of the current Cobo, minus the buckets collecting water?

MIRepublic Guest

No, they are also adding at least 166,000 additional square feet to the center to bring the total amount of exhibition space up to 866,000 sq ft as well as an extensive renovation.

French, not sure why you're expecting renderings this early in the game. They didn't even know if they could get the deal to expand it, let alone yet spending money for an actual shovel-ready design.

I recall there being renderings displayed publicly a few years ago of what the improvements may look like. Maybe they are still lingering around somewhere?

MIRepublic Guest

Yes, Kilpatrick had some rather poor renderings whipped up, but this isn't the same plan, anymore.

BTW, just noticed this in the title, but for the millionth time, "Cobo" isn't an acronym it was actually someone's name and the name of an important someone [[mayor of Detroit). lol

I think some people may think to write it as COBO because there's that huge neon sign on the front of the building that displays it as "COBO". Whenever I think of Cobo, that sign comes to mind along with the blocky architecture and the huge statue of Joe Louis. I understand it's named after Mr. Cobo. He put it as "cobo" in the tags.

Quote Originally Posted by MIRepublic View Post
    BTW, just noticed this in the title, but for the millionth time, "Cobo" isn't an acronym it was actually someone's name and the name of an important someone [[mayor of Detroit). lol
    It doesn't stand for Collection of Bankrupt Organizations?

Cash Only Bribes Organization?

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    It doesn't stand for Collection of Bankrupt Organizations?

Cash Only Bribes Organization?
    Nice, I'm going to have to remember those two. :-)

Default C.o.b.o. Hall and Waterpark

I heard that due to the enormous amount of water leaking in through the ceiling, the best solution was to turn C.o.b.o. Hall into a hybrid Convention Center AND Water Theme Park.

LAME!!!

Does anybody have anything real?

I found these but I don't believe they are official. This is one thing that so far has yet to be seen [[at least to the public?)

http://adamjcoates.com/cobohallexpansion.html

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPetanque View Post
    I heard that due to the enormous amount of water leaking in through the ceiling, the best solution was to turn C.o.b.o. Hall into a hybrid Convention Center AND Water Theme Park.

LAME!!!

I found these but I don't believe they are official. This is one thing that so far has yet to be seen [[at least to the public?)

http://adamjcoates.com/cobohallexpansion.html

MAN I HOPE THE PLANS INCLUDE OPENING UP VIEWS OF THE WATER!!!

gravitymachine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Doma View Post
    no, because real proposals don't exist yet. i understand and recognize that the internet is a great tool for getting by the minute updates and information, but no one to my knowledge has designed an "app" yet that comes up with shit out of thin air before a team of people can actually sit down and design it
    Last edited by gravitymachine; July-29-09 at 11:53 AM.

MIRepublic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gravitymachine View Post
    no, because real proposals don't exist yet. i understand and recognize that the internet is a great tool for getting by the minute updates and information, but no one to my knowledge has designed an "app" yet that comes up with shit out of thin air before a team of people can actually sit down and design it
    Yeah, no kidding. I don't get why folks are still asking for renderings after it was just explained to them that there aren't any.

Maybe they can use all the falling water to power the electricity for the complex, take advantage of hydro power!

Ok, beyond the obvious answer that government wastes money and has no accountability [[which is true) why hasn't any governing body released photos/renderings of this project. This is a nearly $300 million dollar project!

Wouldn't a few sexy drawings in the Detroit News/Free Press back in January helped make this an easier deal?

Quote Originally Posted by MIRepublic View Post
    Yeah, no kidding. I don't get why folks are still asking for renderings after it was just explained to them that there aren't any.

Doma & others....

don't get your panties in a bundle. The fucking deal went through three days ago. Try waiting for them to hire an architecture firm first before asking for renderings. Does ANYTHING in Detroit ever happen this fast?

I'll spare you from making a reply. The answer is "NO."

Uhhhh.....It's a little bit alarming that this idea has been floating around for several years, it is scheduled to start in about 30 days, almost 300 mil has been set aside.....AND THERE IS NO F@#%ING PLAN!!!!

Forgive me if i'm not making sense here, but isn't hiring an architectural firm something you would do BEFORE you decide a plan is going to cost $300 million dollars?

What comes first, the chicken or the egg?

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    Doma & others....

don't get your panties in a bundle. The fucking deal went through three days ago. Try waiting for them to hire an architecture firm first before asking for renderings. Does ANYTHING in Detroit ever happen this fast?

I'll spare you from making a reply. The answer is "NO."
    Last edited by Doma; July-29-09 at 06:44 PM.

MIRepublic Guest

What in the world are you not getting? No f$cking money has been spent yet. Hell, the authority [[only months old, itself) didn't even know if they'd be able to aquire Cobo until a few days ago. There is a general idea to add 166,000 sq ft, and nothing beyond that nor should anyone expect anything beyond that. Now that they can officially lease the center they'll contract out for designs and such. Do you not have any idea how these things work?

So let me get this straight... the renderings are finished but we have to pay f$cking money to see them?

But seriously, if the general idea is to add 166,000 sq. ft, wouldn't there have to have been at least a sketch of the floor plan or an idea where that 166k sq ft would be added? If it was general, why wouldn't they have just said 165K or some general number? That's a weird number to just pull out of their ass.

So here's an old article [[Aug 08) with renderings which also mentions the 166,700 number. Basically looks like they've filled in Cobo Arena.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article.../SUB/16549245#

Cobo Authority's meeting are public and open to all. The next meeting is August 6 at 8:00 AM in Cobo Hall. Go there to learn more about all the plans.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast