Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Packard Plant Ideas Competiton Results

The results of an international Packard plant "ideas" competition for "Re-animating the Ruins" have recently been posted here:
    http://parallelprojections.com/rtr-results

What do you think about these schemes? Can we get beyond the eternal naysayer responses described in this post:
    http://farrowpartnership.wordpress.com/2014/07/31/why-the-packard-plant-will-fly-lessons-from-the-high-line/

It would be nice if they provided images large enough to read the print

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Yes, yes it would, kinda pointless without them

Wow those are spectacular. I find it difficult to believe how much research, work and
    serious graphics have gone into those presentations. Realistic? Eh. But dreams and inspiration can fire imagination and spur action. Glad to see even this happening.

As for making them more readable try clicking or tapping on the images. They enlarged just fine for me and are readable.

This will obviously be a large and costly project that if done correctly will require some time. Give this guy a break and see what the outcome might be. This is no small project. The negativity connected to what this person is attempting to do amazes me. If he fails or succeeds, at least something might come of it. Wasn't much going on before this attempt to restore something here. This guy has a lot on the line. Rebuilding a four family townhouse seems like a major project in Detroit. Opening a small grocery store seems like a monumental task. Do you think this is going to happen in a couple of weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    You can see it slightly larger:
    - Click on the picture you want to see on the website and it shows a larger one.
    - Then right click on this bigger picture, and select "View Image".

It'll show the actual photo and you can view at 100%. [[For example, here's the first one: http://static.squarespace.com/static.../?format=1500w ).

Still very small words, but I can at least read it.

I was on the jury to decide the winners. It was an outstanding panel.

I like the last honorable mention, where the flying saucer lands on top of the Plant Packard.

Pie in the sky dreams, but if he can make it happen, I'd be incredibly impressed and grateful to be honest. I don't see [[at this point in time) how anyone would lure any type of business to that area besides some sort of manufacturing/distribution operation. Bars, restaurants, retail? You've got to be kidding me. The surrounding neighborhood is a bombed out wasteland. Truly "the ghetto" if you wanna label it that. I just don't even see how the hell you could lure Coffee Bean/Chipotle/Olive Garden/Outback Steakhouse types of places to that area. You're gonna get what the surrounding market demands: McDonald's, Dollar Castle, Taco Bell.

Until/when that neighborhood stabilizes and blight removal has taken place and homes/apartments are actually being built in that area, the Packard will not be a cultural destination as I believe Paluzzo wants it to be.

That being said, there's no reason that GM/Ford/Chrysler and tool/die shops/manufacturers/builders can't bring that site to life and make it a viable property in time.

Packard property = manufacturing hub. Not the DSO 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    You can see it slightly larger:
    - Click on the picture you want to see on the website and it shows a larger one.
    - Then right click on this bigger picture, and select "View Image".

It'll show the actual photo and you can view at 100%. [[For example, here's the first one: http://static.squarespace.com/static.../?format=1500w ).

Still very small words, but I can at least read it.
    thank you for that

Remember all of the exciting talk & exotic plans regarding the former Uniroyal Plant on the river.....[[yawn).

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Remember all of the exciting talk & exotic plans regarding the former Uniroyal Plant on the river.....[[yawn).
    Bettis/Betters is still awaiting final toxicity reports and still plans on developing it. look for something solid toward the end of the year
    Last edited by rb336; August-12-14 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    As someone said above me, do you think people can just move right ahead with plans to build on what has been declared a severely polluted site?

These ideas are, as everyone said, very much pie-in-the-sky ideas, but I think that there are some awesome ideas to plucked from these plans. Look at the winner, which wants to restore through access to some of the roads on either side of the plant. Something like that would be awesome and would help divide up these massive warehouses to smaller, more manageable spots that could focus on retail or restaurants or entertainment. I doubt we'll see anything anywhere near this, but there are some really great concepts inside of these packages.

I was thinking of stabilizing the ruins like they do to old churches and abbeys in England, and have picnics there.