Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default La Cave/ Broderick Grille

This article got me thinking.. when the hell are these places going to open, if ever?? could someone from Curbed or something do some research into this? Those signs have been plastered in there for something like 2 years or so...

That is absolute prime commercial real estate, i can't imagine they're getting cold feet about it as whatever goes in there should be relatively successful.

http://www.mlive.com/business/detroi...l#incart_river

As soon the owners get the red tape out, the La Cave will resume work in their precious restaurant.

It's been at least 3 yrs. since the name Broderick Grill was announced. You have to think the original tenant has pulled out.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    As soon the owners get the red tape out, the La Cave will resume work in their precious restaurant.

wait i'm not sure what you mean by this? [[serious Question).. is there something going on between the people trying to set up the restaurant and the owners of Broderick?

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    wait i'm not sure what you mean by this? [[serious Question).. is there something going on between the people trying to set up the restaurant and the owners of Broderick?
    I think it might be a reference to the ever elusive "The city won't let us open it is so hard to work with them" line we've been fed for like, two decades. I do believe that dealing with the city is difficult, but I also believe we have a chunk of developers who rely on that excuse to buy them some time.

Still seems odd that these places haven't opened or found a new tenant. As was mentioned, it could be a stall tactic until there is more foot traffic downtown to open the place up.

Can you name any place that has fulfilled its promised opening date? Being in the construction industry, you typically see these over zealous plans that are announced with opening dates. A few major items; Is financing in place? Unforeseen conditions? Lead times on certain items, etc.

The only projects that come in on schedule are jobs that have "liquidated damages" where the contractors are fined for not finishing by a specific date, typical for schools, stadiums, arena, etc.

Something completely different is when restaurant is trying to open and they don't understand the local market for construction [[also Union Costs) that a project will take. I've seen many restaurants do the work themselves, which is fine but the dates are promised in a press release, then not filled. Don;t get me wrong I still support many of these places when they open. Also, when and owner see the prices and get sticker shock, because the compare it to some residential price on their house, or two guys and a truck did a side job for him at another location for a fraction of the cost.

Gold Cash Gold - Summer 2013 Opening?
    Rubbed - October 2013 Opening?
    Detroit Batch Brewing - Mid 2013? changed location of building half way thru the build out.

Quote Originally Posted by 313rd View Post
    Can you name any place that has fulfilled its promised opening date? Being in the construction industry, you typically see these over zealous plans that are announced with opening dates. A few major items; Is financing in place? Unforeseen conditions? Lead times on certain items, etc.

The only projects that come in on schedule are jobs that have "liquidated damages" where the contractors are fined for not finishing by a specific date, typical for schools, stadiums, arena, etc.

Detroit Batch Brewing - Mid 2013? changed location of building half way thru the build out.
    Also let us not forget the David Whitney was expected to open July of 2014

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...er-renovations

Quote Originally Posted by 313rd View Post

Something completely different is when restaurant is trying to open and they don't understand the local market for construction [[also Union Costs) that a project will take. I've seen many restaurants do the work themselves, which is fine but the dates are promised in a press release, then not filled. Don;t get me wrong I still support many of these places when they open. Also, when and owner see the prices and get sticker shock, because the compare it to some residential price on their house, or two guys and a truck did a side job for him at another location for a fraction of the cost.

this is one thing you also gotta give gilbert and co credit on.. when they give an opening date they're usually spot on.. i remember with the Z they said January '14 and it was money

I've worked on numerous Bedrock projects and they are one of the very few that will push to meet the date, although it is a cluster fuck when the construction is going on. You know as a contractor when approaching a Bedrock project, that you will lose production as they do things not typical and in sequence, therefore you adjust your quote.
    Z-Deck also had an incentive for the erector to finish at a certain date, which helped the project.

They took some paper off the windows. Any updates on this space? Is la cave coming?

There is a sign posted on the door soliciting job applicants.