Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Call Center Jobs

I saw this article in today's San Francisco Chronicle; it was originally published in the Free Press. I know that these are "only" call center jobs, but its nice [[1) to see these jobs returning from overseas, or at least not going overseas in the first place, and [[2) having these new jobs being created in Highland Park.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...=2014308030045

But in recent years, as overseas labor costs have increased, companies have been reversing some of those decisions, he said.
    Yea! So does that mean that the race to the bottom is over? And if all the contestants are at the bottom, who won the race?

I swear this world seems more and more like the one in Alice Through The Looking Glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Yea! So does that mean that the race to the bottom is over? And if all the contestants are at the bottom, who won the race?

I swear this world seems more and more like the one in Alice Through The Looking Glass.
    Is it a race to the bottom? I don't know. But clearly Detroit and Highland Park need jobs. Entry level jobs can lead to something else.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Is it a race to the bottom? I don't know. But clearly Detroit and Highland Park need jobs. Entry level jobs can lead to something else.
    Yes, I agree. Bottom line it's a good thing.

I guess my initial reaction was from the practice of forcing more skilled people to resort to those entry-level jobs by the offshoring of their own jobs. That doesn't help entry-level folks.

The best news is that there's any reversal of offshoring at all. Let's hope it builds momentum sooner than later.

From The Onion [[yes, satire): Report: Middle Class Running Dangerously Low On Things To Be Squeezed Out Of.
    Last edited by Jimaz; August-08-14 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Call center jobs are typically dead end.

But it is steady work that pays an honest wage...
    Last edited by 313WX; August-08-14 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Call center jobs are typically dead end.

But it is steady work that pays an honest wage...
    You can become a team leader and yell more cross-selling, more up-selling!!

^^^ Along with more 'downline' building!