Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit needs a music instrument store

Any time us musicians need a new string, stick, reed, drum head, etc we have to go to the suburbs to get new supplies. If anyone wants an instrument, take lessons, or get repairs, they also have to go to the suburbs, if one can get there. We're trying to open a store to fit these needs and be a community spot for active and aspiring musicians. We have the experience working in music retail, we're gigging musicians, music teachers, and we have the space picked out. We made it to the top ten in the Hatch Detroit contest and now it's based on public voting. If this is something you'd like to see, help vote for us to get the funds to make this happen. Thank you for your time.

www.hatchdetroit.com/the-contest/vote
    AND
    www.facebook.com/hatchdetroit

I support this 110%. I know plenty of musicians in the city, and know that they end up ordering things online or travelling to the suburbs. Thanks for putting your idea into motion!

Detroit needs a music instrument store

Try Zeidman's on Gratiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post

It looks like that place is a pawn shop.

Sounds like a good idea! I voted for ya, good luck!

Invite musicians to perform outdoor concerts in local parks and such.

in a pinch, showtime on woodward sells guitar and banjo strings.

something about Sister Pie...

Quote Originally Posted by Third Wave Music View Post
    Any time us musicians need a new string, stick, reed, drum head, etc we have to go to the suburbs to get new supplies. If anyone wants an instrument, take lessons, or get repairs, they also have to go to the suburbs
    If they want them done really well on an acoustic instrument, it's Lansing

It looks like that place is a pawn shop.
    Zeidma's is a pawnshop.

I was going to mention that as a joke......

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post

Detroit needs a lot of things

Yep and they do sell musical instruments [[all pawn shops don't). Marcus Belgrave's trumpet ended up there not too long ago. Thankfully, he got it back!

Quote Originally Posted by FormerDetroiter View Post
    Zeidma's is a pawnshop.

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    Detroit needs a lot of things
    I know. This is a specific contest dealing with 10 different small independent businesses trying to get off the ground. Why I think it's important though, is there's a lot of places around that have music entertainment through out the city. Also the high schools and colleges, need a local place to go as well. There's also people that might be interested, but need a place to be part of a community and be inspired by. Music can be a positive thing in someones life.

Thread triggered a memory of days gone by, darn it.

Grinnell's, downtown on Woodward [[it was close to the David Whitney building; same side of the street) was a musician's paradise. Sheet music, band scores, instruments from organs to piccolos, you name it -- they had it. Bought a Haynes flute there for about $170 [[1952 or so....lot of money); hocked it when I dropped out of Wayne State for twelve bucks. Oh, well. But I was also a bit of a piano player, so still went there to buy sheet music and music books. I remember the band director at Mackenzie wincing and telling woodwind players to "get to Grinnell's and buy some new reeds!". Especially to the oboe players, who, no matter how new the reeds were, still sounded screechy. Sigh. What wonderful memories. And, hey, I still dig Beethoven, Chopin, and Bizet to this day.

A real music store [[and Grinnell's had several stores throughout the city) has a whole lot of readily pawnable stuff. Who would want to open one in Detroit?

Don't forget Smiley Brothers Music Company. They sold pianos for years out of the grand mansion on Woodward. Another "what a shame".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...apartment.html

Is Metro Music on Southfield Fwy still around?

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    A real music store [[and Grinnell's had several stores throughout the city) has a whole lot of readily pawnable stuff. Who would want to open one in Detroit?
    Liquor stores and bars have lots of easily unloadable goods, why would anyone open one in Detroit?
    Hugh has lots of easily Craigslistable goods, whose stupid idea was it to open that?
    Whole Foods sells lots of small, swipeable items, why would they open in Detroit?
    Why would anyone deliver pizza in Detroit? They're liable to be shot and robbed.

The mentality you have is the reason why others are making more money than you.

Default Detroit used to have music stores.

Any time us musicians need a new string, stick, reed, drum head, etc we have to go to the suburbs to get new supplies. If anyone wants an instrument, take lessons, or get repairs, they also have to go to the suburbs, if one can get there. We're trying to open a store to fit these needs and be a community spot for active and aspiring musicians. We have the experience working in music retail, we're gigging musicians, music teachers, and we have the space picked out. We made it to the top ten in the Hatch Detroit contest and now it's based on public voting. If this is something you'd like to see, help vote for us to get the funds to make this happen. Thank you for your time.

www.hatchdetroit.com/the-contest/vote
    AND
    www.facebook.com/hatchdetroit

Back in the day [[1960's) there was a music store on Harper and Chalmers called Artists. This was when Vox came out with their "Super Beatle" amplifiers. We used to make a pilgrimage there at least once a week. What a great place! There is a scene in Wayne's World where the guys go into a music shop and there is a sign that says, "No playing Stairway to Heaven". This could have been Artists. Everyone played guitar back then. We used to drool over the Telecasters, and Strats on display. Had a Epiphone 12 string at the time, used to dream about a "double -necker" but never had the cash. Does anyone know of another music shop on the Eastside closer to Mack or Warren? Thought there was another.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    Liquor stores and bars have lots of easily unloadable goods, why would anyone open one in Detroit?
    Hugh has lots of easily Craigslistable goods, whose stupid idea was it to open that?
    Whole Foods sells lots of small, swipeable items, why would they open in Detroit?
    Why would anyone deliver pizza in Detroit? They're liable to be shot and robbed.

The mentality you have is the reason why others are making more money than you.
    Don't waste your time responding to the baby boomer and older set. They mostly spend their time on this forum lamenting the lost "good old days", talking down to current Detroiters and young people, and blaming their spectacular failures on somebody else.

Listen, sonny, when I was growing up, no on talked to their elders that way. Then the suburbanites ruined Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    Listen, sonny, when I was growing up, no on talked to their elders that way. Then the suburbanites ruined Detroit.
    I was also raised to respect my elders, but there comes a time when the elders need to start showing some respect for the younger generations too. Just being older than somebody else doesn't mean that you have the right to disparage and denigrate them for your entire life.

Quote Originally Posted by erikd View Post
    Don't waste your time responding to the baby boomer and older set. They mostly spend their time on this forum lamenting the lost "good old days", talking down to current Detroiters and young people, and blaming their spectacular failures on somebody else.
    So that guitar shop that sits on 9 mile Rd in young trendy Ferndale is owned by old fogeys or younger hipsters who knows that Katy Perry is not the only next generation artist who play acoustic guitar