Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    I will indulge your thoughtless baiting [[not that I should, considering that the topic of conversation is a part time trolley bus for drunks, not actual transit), but because you've raised the issue I post for your benefit the GP results on the Smart funding INCREASE last week:

City of GP: 63.89 YES, 36.11 NO
    http://www.grossepointecity.org/file...8%205%2014.pdf
    GP Farms: 60.36 YES, 39.64 NO
    http://www.grossepointefarms.org/res...0806062032.pdf
    GP Woods: 62.28 YES, 37.72 NO
    http://www.gpwmi.us/departments/city...ns/SUMMARY.HTM
    GP Shores: 53.88 YES 46.22 NO
    http://gpshoresmi.gov/Portals/40/PDF...%20Results.pdf

Grosse Pointe Park has not posted theirs online yet [[busy addressing the Kercheval barns fiasco, I assume). Anyway, expect theirs to be the most pro-SMART.
    Surely those Pointers that voted 'yes' didn't know that SMART travels to and from Detroit. After GPP built that barn to clearly keep others out, I am sure they wouldn't knowingly and voluntarily subsidize a bus to bring them in.

Or maybe that is why GPP isn't releasing their results...

That thing was packed this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by cjd View Post
    Surely those Pointers that voted 'yes' didn't know that SMART travels to and from Detroit.

You're kidding, right? I would like to see the barns removed today, but that is truly another story. Your assertion assumes that most Park residents think the barns are a good idea [[unclear) and further assumes that pro-street closure means anti-transit [[I predict you'd find very little connection). A not insignificant amount of GP'ers at various professional levels use SMART to get downtown, and a lot of GP South students from the western edge of the Park take SMART to school.

But I do thank you for your comment, honestly, as it is a useful exhibit in one reason I am against the barns-- it makes residents look like shit and causes a degree of unfair disparagement such as yours.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  45.7 KB
    Here is the trolley

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  45.7 KB
    Here is the trolley
    Detroit's or GP's?

That is the one that runs down Kercheval

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    That is the one that runs down Kercheval
    I saw it getting filled up the other morning...dude was shocked at how much gas the tank held.

Cheers!

That Great Guy Guest

A vote of YES for the tax on car license plates of about 50 bucks per car for the Regional Transportation Authority RTA will coordinate this trolley with SMART, DDOT, M-1, Amtrak, AATA and AirRide.

Thank You Governor Snyder for passing into law raising taxes on cars licenses to pay for public mass transit.

That Great Guy- any links concerning what you speak of?

Just to follow up on my PSA above, GP Park posted its Aug 5 election results, and exactly as I anticipated, it was the most pro-SMART funding municipality over there, with the mill increase passing roughly 66-34.
    http://www.grossepointepark.org/imag...52748-0001.pdf

Saturday night, I started at Mike's on the River/patio in SCS. Then we went down to the beergarden in Grosse Pointe Park. I was driving down Kerchevel and was amazed at how many couples were waiting at the ends of their blocks for the trolley. Parked right near Red Crown and watched the crowds waiting to board the booze cruise. It was like they were on vacation in their own town. Pretty impressive and smart idea! We need one or two of those on Jefferson/Michigan Ave to round out M-1.

As people flock to this new "appealing" venue, I plan to sit back and laugh when overflow demand for parking hits neighborhood streets. First to howl will be West Park or Cottonwood as I call it, which is already parking challenged. The area east of Pierce and Defer schools and lovely homes on the way to the Village business district will be next [[chock full of attorneys too). For people unfamiliar with the Pointes [[there are five) the 3 Pointes business districts involved with this foray into hipness are spaced apart by very lovely neighborhoods. Doubt they will like their streets clogged and parked up by weekend revelers.

Yes, I agree as stated on a previous post, let the Pointes make their own decisions.

Well GP City and Farms downtowns have massive parking lots behind Kercheval, so people can park and ride on the Trolley!

Even if everyone drives into West Park, I really don't foresee a problem. If parking spills over into the estate district beginning at Balfour St., I really don't think there will be pushback from residents over people parking for a few hours on a weekend night. What grounds could they possibly raise, anyway? The City might also encourage people to use the big lot at City Hall and the Public Library on Jefferson after hours, and then walk down two blocks to Kercheval. They'll manage...

A few good points but not all correct info. The city hall and Ewald library are in GPP and I don't know about you but the municipal center mostly houses the police station, fire station and municipal court, not really a place I'd want to come back to my car inebriated. Besides,the el shaped lot between the two is small. It is not a mere two blocks those suckers are really long.

The Village does have three blocks of parking behind the stores, a lot behind CVS, and a small parking structure behind Trader Joes. Doubt CVS, who has late hours, Trader Joes or Krogers will appreciate the usage [[though public parking) along with the inherent litter. It does have a few establishments with liquor licenses, but not what one would call trendy. Then of course the police station is a block away at Maumee and St Clair.

The only destination spots on the Hill would be Stray Dog [[Pricey) and the Hill, very staid very pricey. They do have a parking lot on the north side behind establishments but I would'nt call it large and to just find the entry isn't a piece of cake and of course a police station just around the corner.

Sounds like the folks you are envisioning should leave their cars overnight and get an uber home!

Point taken about the municipal complex parking lot… that was just a stray idea out of my own ass re where GPPark might put people in the event the west park area starts to have a parking problem.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    A few good points but not all correct info. The city hall and Ewald library are in GPP and I don't know about you but the municipal center mostly houses the police station, fire station and municipal court, not really a place I'd want to come back to my car inebriated. Besides,the el shaped lot between the two is small. It is not a mere two blocks those suckers are really long.

The Village does have three blocks of parking behind the stores, a lot behind CVS, and a small parking structure behind Trader Joes. Doubt CVS, who has late hours, Trader Joes or Krogers will appreciate the usage [[though public parking) along with the inherent litter. It does have a few establishments with liquor licenses, but not what one would call trendy. Then of course the police station is a block away at Maumee and St Clair.

The only destination spots on the Hill would be Stray Dog [[Pricey) and the Hill, very staid very pricey. They do have a parking lot on the north side behind establishments but I would'nt call it large and to just find the entry isn't a piece of cake and of course a police station just around the corner.
    Yawn. Same old rants. Not even worth a reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Yawn. Same old rants. Not even worth a reply.
    Funny, you just did. Frankly your opinions are no more or less important than mine.

Our pastor's sermon this past Sunday, was outrage versus rage. I assume you believe my "rants" fall into the rage category, which far from true but have at it. Your opinion. I find you trite and smug, my opinion of course. Truth falls somewhere in the middle.

You fail to note that for most of my life I lived next to, in, and near GPP & the GC. I liked GPP I could give you a reasoned opinion of pluses and minuses. All communities have flaws.

I simply believe that fueled by Cotton monies the cart is put before the horse and the gentrification of the Cabbage Patch curious if the Pointes welcome diversity. For people not familiar the area called the cabbage patch is highly rentals, the name actually is derived from the area was once a communal cabbage farm for French ribbon farmers much like belle Isle was a communal pig farm.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    belle Isle was a communal pig farm.
    Belle Isle was originally called Snake Island because it was home to a large number of poisonous snakes. Pigs were introduced to the island because they kill snakes and are relatively immune to snake bites [[because of the large amount of fat to absorb the venom). The island became known as Hog Island. After it was redone as a park, it became Belle Isle.

I thought the Cabbage Patch was named after all the Irish workers who lived there for a few of its early decades.

And, in a similar vein, I thought St. Patrick drove the snakes out of Belle Isle...

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    I thought the Cabbage Patch was named after all the Irish workers who lived there for a few of its early decades.

And, in a similar vein, I thought St. Patrick drove the snakes out of Belle Isle...
    My neighbor told me the same as well when I lived up there. According to someone from the GP Historical society, it was called that because of the density of the neighborhood-- the homes were clustered closely together like cabbages in a patch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2