Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The "BIG 3" vacant buildings...

I was reading the Whitney thread and got to thinking-"What are the most iconic/endangered buildings not downtown left for rebirth?"- Which is most feasible?

Here's the three candidates I came up with..

Lee Plaza

Stripped of pretty much everything inside and out - including the copper roof - this place would seem to be quite the undertaking with location playing a factor. The sad story of this place breaks my heart. It's a beautiful building regardless and had it been built downtown it would probably be on its way back or already restored in my opinion.

Packard Plant

This place seems to be somewhat of a hell-hole[[torn up), that being said the campus is breathtaking and could be a once in a lifetime development. Location is also a factor for this project. The owner claims to be dedicated when speaking about it the media but does he really have the money or connections to get a project of this size off the ground? This project isn't as much about restoration as it is about renovation.

Michigan Central
    The most iconic of the bunch. The size is massive[[not Packard massive) and it would take time and much money to restore it like any of these buildings. It's location seems to be on the upswing in this case. Unfortunately the owner seems reluctant to do much to repair damage he helped create. This building is in the best shape of the group though...

The narrative is similar in all 3 cases, their big, their empty, their not all their, their not directly downtown, and their going to need a ton of money to restore/renovate.

In your opinion which will be the first domino to fall? Do you foresee any of these projects being completed 5-10 years from now?
    Last edited by Dbest; August-08-14 at 08:49 AM.

-Lee Plaza needs to be torn down. It will be a long time until Detroit can support luxury hotels/apartments outside of Downtown/Midtown/Corktown.
    -I still have no clue as to what the plan could be for Packard. It's in such a terrible area, in a terrible condition, and would be very expensive to tear down. Maybe a warehouse or some kind of factory?
    -Michigan Central is getting renovated, slowly. The electricity is back on, and they're working on removing debris and such. I think they're also looking to replace windows soon. The purpose for it is still unknown.
    Last edited by UMich06; August-08-14 at 09:29 AM.

Lee Plaza is a big problem rarely discussed in regards to safety. I'm not a go inside a 'ruin' investigator on any level, but simply driving down West Grand Blvd and from views beyond you can see it needs to go.

The roof - what remains - is starting to disintegrate, parts hollowed out especially at the tower points. The roof as whole is starting to blow off in the high winds we've had. Fragments of masonry, bricks and what not are laying in the sidewalk below [[front and side) for anyone to see driving by.

Northwestern HS is next door with students who walk by LP daily. There is no effort of blocking the sidewalk which would not be a good idea either.

It's OVER for that building. TEAR IT DOWN NOW!
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-08-14 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Lee Plaza is a big problem rarely discussed in regards to safety. I'm not a go inside a 'ruin' investigator on any level, but simply driving down West Grand Blvd and from views beyond you can see it needs to go.

The roof - what remains - is starting to disintegrate, parts hollowed out especially at the tower points. The roof as whole is starting to blow off in the high winds we've had. Fragments of masonry, bricks and what not are laying in the sidewalk below [[front and side) for anyone to see driving by.

Northwestern HS is next door with students who walk by LP daily. There is no effort of blocking the sidewalk which would not be a good idea either.

I think Lee Plaza is one of the few buildings even the staunchest preservationist will agree needs to go. I wish we could save it, but as mentioned earlier and especially when coupled with the above post, it's just not feasible and won't be until the building will have already crumbled. Sad realities.

MCS will probably be cleaned up, get new windows, have entrances secured and the roof completely fixed, then mothballed for a bit until it's the right time. At least that is what I hope. The best we can ask for at the moment is to stabilize the deterioration of the building and make sure it doesn't get ransacked by scrappers again.

Packard? Lord on knows. At least someone is paying taxes on that massive rubble heap.

^^^ Right. And location matters too. LP is too far away from strong or moderate developing in regards to restaurants, new housing, retail or downtown. Sad. Those orange colored bricks alone showcase what a wonderful structure it once was. I just hope no one goes in there and gets killed or injured.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-09-14 at 08:31 PM.

I still think to add to this BIG 3 list... the Book Tower should definitely be considered as one of the last 'BIG' buildings in the area that needs to get taken care of

It absolutely has the 'bones' to be saved still, and it's in a wonderful location downtown [[Book cadillac, DCA, GCP, David Whitney all right by it)...

I also think it's the most realistic out of these four to get saved, and the soonest.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    I still think to add to this BIG 3 list... the Book Tower should definitely be considered as one of the last 'BIG' buildings in the area that needs to get taken care of

It absolutely has the 'bones' to be saved still, and it's in a wonderful location downtown [[Book cadillac, DCA, GCP, David Whitney all right by it)...

I also think it's the most realistic out of these four to get saved, and the soonest.
    I agree 100% in regards to the Book Tower. It wasn't that long ago it was inhabited. As far as I know it has remained intact and free of vandals. I almost view its revival as a given. Whats the story with this beautiful building? I don't believe someone doesn't want to buy it.

As for the reason I didn't include it, I was shooting for buildings that werent in the imediate downtown...

How about the EASTOWN THEATER. I can't believe that place is still standing.

Maybe there can be hope for the Lee Plaza as a market-rate apartment building - it doesn't have to be luxury.

I agree 100% in regards to the Book Tower. It wasn't that long ago it was inhabited. As far as I know it has remained intact and free of vandals. I almost view its revival as a given. Whats the story with this beautiful building? I don't believe someone doesn't want to buy it.
    The story is that it isn't a reasonable modern office building, so it would need to be converted to a different use, which would be very expensive given the size of the building. I certainly hope this will happen, but doing it will be a triumph of creative public-private financing.

Maybe there can be hope for the Lee Plaza as a market-rate apartment building - it doesn't have to be luxury.
    From what I have seen, Lee Plaza is too far gone to be saved. It isn't a question of luxury vs. market-rate; it would just cost too much to repair all the damage to the existing structure. And what do you think the market rate is at West Grand and Grand River? As other people have said, the building probably wouldn't be salvageable anywhere in Detroit, but that location isn't doing it any favors.

Is the Jefferson-Chalmers neighborhood coming back? If so, maybe there is hope for the Vanity Ballroom, an Art Deco masterpiece.

Also, the North End has been attention lately. Maybe after M-1 is built, more investment will come to that neighborhood and trickle to the Saint Rita Apartment building at Owen and Woodward.

Lastly, how about the old FoMoCo headquarters in Highland Park on Woodward.

The Eddystone and Harbor Light hotels on Park Avenue. They have been given a temporary reprieve by the Ilitches.

The American Hotel at Temple and Cass is a building I am rooting for. I love how that building was constructed right up against the Masonic Temple - they don't build neighborhoods like that anymore.

I am really hoping someone can be found to redevelop the Brewster-Wheeler Rec Center - it was the building that Joe Louis trained in, so it has historical value.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post

This proclamation may have been a bit premature.

"Where there's a will, there's a way..."

the big buildings at Grand River/Greenfield need a major renovation.

Quote Originally Posted by zacha341 View Post
    lee plaza is a big problem rarely discussed in regards to safety. I'm not a go inside a 'ruin' investigator on any level, but simply driving down west grand blvd and from views beyond you can see it needs to go.

Northwestern hs is next door with students who walk by lp daily. There is no effort of blocking the sidewalk which would not be a good idea either.

it's over for that building. Tear it down now!
    lololololololololol

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    lololololololololol

I would think it is safe to say Never underestimate the abilities and power of Detroit,its contribution to the rest of the country in the past and future has sealed its destiny,it is not going to remain a nucleus within itself.

Book Tower and MCS have the best potential for rebirth, due to their looks and location. Hotel Eddystone and the Harbor Light Apartments in the Cass Corridor between Woodward and Cass - one is being razed and the other redeveloped, AFAIK.

It's doomed I say, doomed! Tear that damn Lee Plaza down!

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    It's doomed I say, doomed! Tear that damn Lee Plaza down!
    lol is there not another famous DYES saying that is worded a bit different?

Michigan Central Station will be redeveloped into a multi-use cultural center, along with high end retail and dining and perhaps a hotel, and include a new international train station.

Packard Plant will be redeveloped in parts, with some sections torn down. Expect to see cultural uses such as galleries or performance spaces as well as offices, residences and light industrial/warehouse. The 2016 Venice Biennale for architecture will have an entire section dedicated to the question of how to redevelop Packard Plant. Interest is strong. This is perhaps THE landmark project for Detroit.

Lee Plaza may take time but will eventually be brought back to life with new residences. It makes no difference that it's a mile from Woodward/Grand because everyone drives anyway.

I think the problem with Packard and residential is that the whole area is designated light/heavy industrial in the city future blueprints,that makes it a very hard move for residential.

Cooley High School