Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Bookmobile Memories

In the wake of the passage of the Library Millage I would like to mention my initiation into the fantastic world of books. I don't even know if there are any bookmobiles around anymore but when we were living in the Parkside Projects the bookmobile would come by twice a week. My older sisters would get books from there and told me to check it out. I was five years old at the time. I remember getting "Horton Hears a Who". This opened up an entirely new world for me. From there I graduated to Bambi, The Black Stallion, and then the Hardy Boys Mysteries. I was hooked! When we moved out of the projects to different areas around the Conner Warren Dickerson Mack areas I started going to the Montieth Branch Library. I believe it is still in existence. I would spend hours in there. I loved the smells and peacefulness that was there. Long story short, I have never met anyone who is well read that has not made something out of his lot in life. I'm not saying that they became CEO's but they faced the world with a more positive attitude about life. I myself am a blue collar worker, but I've always managed to find work. I'm not saying reading was the only reason I have what I have but I feel it sure helped. I still read, I read fiction, non fiction, and anything that catches my fancy at the time. What I'm saying is have your children take an interest in the written word, it spurs the imagination like nothing else and sometimes takes you to a better place. So glad to see people still care about their libraries.

I believe there's one that's currently in a Wyandotte scrap yard, whatever's left of it...

2007:

2013:

Tell me if I'm wrong, though...

Quote Originally Posted by dguy4evr View Post
    ... the Hardy Boys Mysteries. I was hooked! ...
    Ha! The Hardy Boys were like literary crack.

The first books that came to mind for me were The Mad Scientists' Club series. It was about a group of junior MacGyvers who pulled pranks and had some surprisingly dangerous adventures. It taught me that just because I was only a kid, that didn't mean I couldn't do impressive things. We'd go on to building tree-house elevators and enormous bombs, atypical kid's stuff. It was that empowering. MadScientistsClub.com

I really do believe that those books set me on a trajectory that colored the rest of my life.

Thanks for the memories and hats off to authors!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Ha! The Hardy Boys were like literary crack.

The first books that came to mind for me were The Mad Scientists' Club series. It was about a group of junior MacGyvers who pulled pranks and had some surprisingly dangerous adventures. It taught me that just because I was only a kid, that didn't mean I couldn't do impressive things. We'd go on to building tree-house elevators and enormous bombs, atypical kid's stuff. It was that empowering. MadScientistsClub.com

I really do believe that those books set me on a trajectory that colored the rest of my life.

Thanks for the memories and hats off to authors!

As the years went on, while I was attending Wilbur Wright Trade School, I got hooked on the James Bond novels by Ian Fleming. Whenever I finished a book, I would bring it in and give it to one of the guys in class. I guess I started the first James Bond fan club at Wilbur Wright!
    Really great memories.

Spent a couple of years at the DPL and made Bookmobile runs on Tuesday and Thursday. Worked with Isaac Williams and John Small. They were the drivers.

There's a Bookmobile parked outside one of the sheds at Eastern Mrkt on Market Tuesdays

I remember a bookmobile parked near the Chatham's grocery store on Morang, earlier 1980s. I checked out a few books from there and I tought it was neat. We also went to a couple of branches around then too, always loved it.

When I was a little girl [[5-6), my mom and I would walk to the bookmobile every week. It would come in the evening, and we would walk from our house on Sussex to where it was parked on the other side of Greenfield. The highlight of the evening was stopping to get dinner at the hamburger stand [[Dandy Hamburgers?) on the corner of Plymouth and Greenfield. It was my first exposure to a library, and I loved it. We didn't own a lot of books, but that bookmobile was life changing! Ended up becoming a librarian!