Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    littlebuddy Guest

Default Allen Park restaurants of long ago

Having moved from Allen Park in the mid-70's I wonder if anyone remembers some of the restaurants in the area. I used to work at the Camelot Inn, Sign of the Beefeater[[carver) on Southfield rd. I remember a place called the Hungry Penquin on Dix just south of Southfield rd. There is a place in Allen Park on Ecourse rd called Manual's Toco Hut, used to be across the street and west about a block or two, the old place was many things but in the 70's it was a mexican restaurant run by two older people, who got sick and their daughter and son-in-law run it I think. I think he was a Ecourse cop, but there was no relationship between them and Manual's. Also was a place down on Van Born, west of Telegraph called the Madedor I think. Is it still there? Any other places you can think of?

There was the Ecorse Drive-in, that we used to call the Intercourse drive-in.

I think Matador is still there, someone mentioned they went there recently.

rvtwitty Guest

Scalisi"s bar on Allen Rd, downtown Allen Park by the Secretary of State. Don't know if it is still there or sold. They had great corned beef on St Paddy's.The daughter used to run a catering business and used the kitchen for cooking. Her husband is a retired Allen Park cop. Very nice people. Also there was a really good pizza place on Southfield next to Beef Carver, near Denny's. Is Moro's still there on Allen in downtown Allen Park? The Coney Island still there the near the .back side of Scalisis's?

What about 3 senoritas which we called 6 TITS on Ecorse?

rvtwitty Guest

I know this was in Lincoln Park, but Peppina's is gone. Burnt down I think. Those were the days. Loved the pizza. Used to crave it Saturday nights, along with Zukins rib shack.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebuddy View Post
    Having moved from Allen Park in the mid-70's I wonder if anyone remembers some of the restaurants in the area. I used to work at the Camelot Inn, Sign of the Beefeater[[carver) on Southfield rd. I remember a place called the Hungry Penquin on Dix just south of Southfield rd. There is a place in Allen Park on Ecourse rd called Manual's Toco Hut, used to be across the street and west about a block or two, the old place was many things but in the 70's it was a mexican restaurant run by two older people, who got sick and their daughter and son-in-law run it I think. I think he was a Ecourse cop, but there was no relationship between them and Manual's. Also was a place down on Van Born, west of Telegraph called the Madedor I think. Is it still there? Any other places you can think of?
    Camelot Inn, Sign of the Beefcarver, and Hungry Penguin are all gone. Krispy Kreme stands in the place of Sign of the Beefcarver. Manuel's Taco Hut is still there. IMO, Angelina's [[owned by the same family of Los Galanes) is a much better Mexican place.

Quote Originally Posted by rvtwitty View Post
    Scalisi"s bar on Allen Rd, downtown Allen Park by the Secretary of State. Don't know if it is still there or sold. They had great corned beef on St Paddy's.The daughter used to run a catering business and used the kitchen for cooking. Her husband is a retired Allen Park cop. Very nice people. Also there was a really good pizza place on Southfield next to Beef Carver, near Denny's. Is Moro's still there on Allen in downtown Allen Park? The Coney Island still there the near the .back side of Scalisis's?
    Scalisi's is still there, but I've never seen or heard of anyone that's gone in there. No pizza place on Southfield anywhere near where Beefcarver was. Now there's a place called the Star Diner which took over Denny's spot. Moro's is still there and surprising people to this day. There's three breakfast spots in downtown, one that used to be the Triangle, Tina's, and Ted's. Ted's is the best and it's not even close.

I can say the Matador is stil there. Unless they have closed this week.

Ciungan's [[sp?) may have been technically in Lincoln Park, but I think of it in Allen Park. Maurey's Bar [[Allen Rd., near Southfield)

Quote Originally Posted by 9936Sussex View Post
    Ciungan's [[sp?) may have been technically in Lincoln Park, but I think of it in Allen Park. Maurey's Bar [[Allen Rd., near Southfield)
    It was in Ecorse just south of the L.P. border.

Manuel has been known to drop in to check on the quality of his old Taco restaurant!

My Livonia Friend is related to him and always seems to know when he is in town.

Quote Originally Posted by rvtwitty View Post
    I know this was in Lincoln Park, but Peppina's is gone. Burnt down I think. Those were the days. Loved the pizza. Used to crave it Saturday nights, along with Zukins rib shack.

I think peppina's had 2 fires, a smaller fire, then they rebuilt, and the big fire.
    Its hard to have a pizza that is different, but I have never had a pizza similiar to peppina's, totally unique, probably my all time best.
    They also had a huge veal parm.

What was the bar name between Maury's [[in the 70s) and now Dunluvey's?

littlebuddy Guest

I remember the La Riveair[[sp) on Allen Rd, is it still there? Beefcarver,Denny's gone.wow What was the name of the restaurants back in the 70's that where all you could eat[[not Sweden House), they served chicken,ham,shrimp and one other entree, I think it was over on Eureka or Northline and Allen Rd area I think. They might have been a small chain around Det. area.

I remember the La Riveair[[sp) on Allen Rd, is it still there? Beefcarver,Denny's gone.wow What was the name of the restaurants back in the 70's that where all you could eat[[not Sweden House), they served chicken,ham,shrimp and one other entree, I think it was over on Eureka or Northline and Allen Rd area I think. They might have been a small chain around Det. area.
    Gilligan , was that maybe Anchor Inn? I used to go there with my aunt and uncle. They even had frog legs on some nights.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    What was the bar name between Maury's [[in the 70s) and now Dunluvey's?
    O'Hannon's Pub [[1982-1989).

I am currently writing the history of the bars at 6004 Allen Road.

I remember the La Riveair[[sp) on Allen Rd, is it still there?
    Yes, Tullio's LaRiviera is still there though no longer owned by the Tullio family. They do not appear to be open for lunch any longer.

rvtwitty Guest

Corner of Allen and Eureka was Trovano's. They had really good pizza too. Sorry, they were in Taylor I think. Just thought I would share. Also Nifty 50's was at the corner of Northline and Allen. Might have been in Southgate or Taylor Border. From the info you are getting here, your book could have a downriver section.

Gilligan: Was it Harbor House or Harbor Inn? I remember going to someplace like that downriver, can't remember where it was.

Anybody remember BBF? My brother worked at Borden Burger Foods in the early 70's when I was a kid. I just remember him bringing home a bucket of BBF chicken that rocked.

Sussex, it seems like the place I'm thinking about was in Southgate not Allen Park. I think it was Anchor Inn, I had a matchbook from that place for many years. And there could be a Harbor something as well.

Debby's Restaurant was on Allen Road north of Southfield almost to the Thunderbowl.

The Harbor House was in Riverview on Sibley Rd.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    The Harbor House was in Riverview on Sibley Rd.
    Right next door to Cycle City motorcycle parts.

rvtwitty Guest

LaForge still around? They had 2 places as I remember. One on Telegraph and one on Fort in Riverview. I wish I had a nickel for every beer I had at the Mel Bar in Melvindale after a baseball game. Family member was on a bunch of leagues and we would go cheer him on.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast