Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 2949 Cass Ave. Sold - What is the story here?

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...old-in-Detroit

There has been some real estate action along Cass Ave north of Temple.

This doesn't seem to be an Ilitch endeavor.

The newspaper article seems to lay out the story pretty clearly. The Masons and Shriners own the parking lots on either side of the building. So they bought it.

I think Steve was hoping for a professional racquetball arena.

That's what I do when I can't pay my property taxes, get a rock star to pay them and then buy more real estate.

Quote Originally Posted by gvidas View Post
    The newspaper article seems to lay out the story pretty clearly. The Masons and Shriners own the parking lots on either side of the building. So they bought it.
    More parking? Lol.

more restaurants need to return to the area- like Chinese/Asian cuisine.

I'm not sure what I make of it. Multiple parcels; multiple owners.

I saw a comment on Detnews: [[Masonic Temple) can't afford to pay taxes but can buy properties????

I think the moves are more speculative with development plans speculative and TBD.

That said, property being bought is a good thing. Means there is interest in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by subsidized View Post
    I think Steve was hoping for a professional racquetball arena.
    Or a fitness center.

BTW, isn't there an abandoned hotel on the corner at Temple/Cass, next to the Masonic Temple?

What should happen to it?

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Or a fitness center.

BTW, isn't there an abandoned hotel on the corner at Temple/Cass, next to the Masonic Temple?

What should happen to it?
    The old Ft. Wayne Hotel. I wonder if it still belongs to the John Birchers who turned into the American Hotel back in the '60s?

It's in very rough shape, and was so even before it closed back in the '80s. I think demolition and replacement may be in order. Hopefully, with something other than a parking garage, or at least a parking garage with retail.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    The old Ft. Wayne Hotel. I wonder if it still belongs to the John Birchers who turned into the American Hotel back in the '60s?

It's in very rough shape, and was so even before it closed back in the '80s. I think demolition and replacement may be in order. Hopefully, with something other than a parking garage, or at least a parking garage with retail.
    It would be nice to see something happen to it and all of the other properties mentioned in this thread.

Once the arena is up, this area [[surrounding the Masonic Temple) should be next up on areas for improvement.

Originally the Film Exchange Building, designed by Albert Kahn and built in 1922.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Originally the Film Exchange Building, designed by Albert Kahn and built in 1922.
    im not sure thats correct, the FEB is on Montcalm and Cass

Alas! Chinatown in Detroit is finally dead!

R.I.P. 1840 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by hewettbr View Post
    im not sure thats correct, the FEB is on Montcalm and Cass
    You are new here and need to get up speed with the longtime members. I do know where the 1926 C. Howard Crane designed building is on Cass. This building predates that building by 4 years. Check Michigan Manufacturer and Financial Record September 23, 1922 page 22.