Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Southeast Southgate, 1986-2000

So, I'm having the urge to start this-there seems to be a lot that took place in that corner of Southgate during that timeframe-the Fort George closed after severe winds and was torn down not long after, the neighboring indoor theater closed two years later and was also torn down, a Meijer went up on the site of both, the Ford dealership relocated across Fort Street, Korvette City was demolished for a Super Kmart, the infamous domed church was then torn down for a Lowe's.

Anyone know about any other details I may have left out? Here's a 1992 [[or 93?) photo showing much of the area we're talking about in here.

Wonderland park was at the corner of Pennsylvania and Fort, where the Lincoln Dealer is.

What year did the Security Bank Building go up? And I believe the Sonic in front of Meijer was the first in Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    What year did the Security Bank Building go up? And I believe the Sonic in front of Meijer was the first in Michigan.
    1. 1973-which was before 1986.
    2. Yes, that opened in 2008-which was after 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    So, I'm having the urge to start this-there seems to be a lot that took place in that corner of Southgate during that timeframe-the Fort George closed after severe winds and was torn down not long after, the neighboring indoor theater closed two years later and was also torn down, a Meijer went up on the site of both, the Ford dealership relocated across Fort Street, Korvette City was demolished for a Super Kmart, the infamous domed church was then torn down for a Lowe's.

Anyone know about any other details I may have left out? Here's a 1992 [[or 93?) photo showing much of the area we're talking about in here.
    I grew up here. You can see my parents house in the photo you posted. They had a movie theater over there if i recall correctly [[besides the drive in). I used to watch movies from my parents roof, bowl of popcorn, sleeping bag and a radio to pick up the audio. They put in the saturn dealership when the ford dealer moved [[The building is now some sort of auto repair place)

Ill have to think about what else....

Quote Originally Posted by guito13 View Post
    I grew up here. You can see my parents house in the photo you posted. They had a movie theater over there if i recall correctly [[besides the drive in). I used to watch movies from my parents roof, bowl of popcorn, sleeping bag and a radio to pick up the audio. They put in the saturn dealership when the ford dealer moved [[The building is now some sort of auto repair place)

Ill have to think about what else....
    The theater you're talking about is the rectangular tan building in the left-center portion of the picture [[to the right of one of the dealership buildings and just above a McDonald's, which, until seeing that photo, I thought opened in 1997!).

McDonalds? There's a White Castle on the corner. The local McDonalds was up the road between Pennsylvania and Sibley. The McDonalds that is there now is relatively new. It certainly wasn't there when the Fort George was around.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    McDonalds? There's a White Castle on the corner. The local McDonalds was up the road between Pennsylvania and Sibley. The McDonalds that is there now is relatively new. It certainly wasn't there when the Fort George was around.
    But it does appear in this photo, which was taken after the Fort George closed but before Meijer opened.

I didn't start living downriver until 1993. I was by Fort & Southfield and at first didn't venture much down Fort past Eureka until Meijer was built. I seem to remember, but may be wrong, that there was a DSS office in a building that may have been part of a car dealership. I vaguely remember the Meijer site being nothing but what looked like an open field. I never knew a drive in was there. I always surmised it was a vacant car dealership storage area.

There was a strip mall between The Lincoln dealer and the Saturn dealer. The unemployment office was there. They tore the strip out a few years back.