Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Can we play name that building one more time?

We had a discussion in the office today about a building/mansion that stands on the corner of Rosa Parks and Grand River

address is 4140 Rosa Parks Blvd....i googled the address and came up with a big ole nothing

what was this building originally?

Detroit Police Department Eighth Precinct Station designed by Louis Kamper

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71288712@N00/356454041/

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Detroit Police Department Eighth Precinct Station designed by Louis Kamper

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71288712@N00/356454041/
    thank you !! i knew that, but for some reason couldnt pull that up from memory! I heart this site...beyond useful

I went through the attics of that building back about, oh, 1978 or so, when the City of Detroit was scrounging for unneeded items for a giant garage sale. There was a small shooting range up there, with steel plates at a downward angle into a sand pit. There was also the largest pigeon nest I ever saw in my life. Along with the expected amount of the stuff usually associated with pigeons.

I also remember that just inside the entranceway the tile floor had "1901" in black tiles against the otherwise white tiling; the small hexigonical tiles.

It served from 1901 to 1954 as the Eighth Precinct, serving roughly the area bounded by Buchanan on the south, West Grand Boulevard on the north, Fourth Street [[later the Lodge) on the east, and West Grand Boulevard on the west. In '54, that area was absorbed by the Second [[Vernor) precinct south of that area, and the DPD Youth Bureau then occupied the structure for maybe 20 years. I don't recall just when the Department left the building entirely; probably around 1980 [[a few minor bureaus or units used it after the YB).

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I went through the attics of that building back about, oh, 1978 or so, when the City of Detroit was scrounging for unneeded items for a giant garage sale. There was a small shooting range up there, with steel plates at a downward angle into a sand pit. There was also the largest pigeon nest I ever saw in my life. Along with the expected amount of the stuff usually associated with pigeons.

I also remember that just inside the entranceway the tile floor had "1901" in black tiles against the otherwise white tiling; the small hexigonical tiles.

It served from 1901 to 1954 as the Eighth Precinct, serving roughly the area bounded by Buchanan on the south, West Grand Boulevard on the north, Fourth Street [[later the Lodge) on the east, and West Grand Boulevard on the west. In '54, that area was absorbed by the Second [[Vernor) precinct south of that area, and the DPD Youth Bureau then occupied the structure for maybe 20 years. I don't recall just when the Department left the building entirely; probably around 1980 [[a few minor bureaus or units used it after the YB).
    does the city still do "garage sales" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Kathleen do you know what its currently being used as or what the purposed plans there are for it?

Mel Washington owns it and uses it to house his Phoenix Development Group HQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersmommy View Post
    Dunno, Winter; I got outta Dodge 25 years ago. From what I've heard, about the only things they have left to sell are Belle Isle and Rouge Park, but that ain't gonna happen.......

Not being flippant. Just a thought!

Thanks, Krawlspace!!

Link to Phoenix Development Group website: http://www.phoenixdevgrp.com/about.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersmommy View Post
    The last big garage sale was in Cobo sometime in 2003. Now the City does a lot of sales via auctions. The person in charge of the salvage for the City is Barbara Bonner 224-4616. She should be able to help.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    The last big garage sale was in Cobo sometime in 2003. Now the City does a lot of sales via auctions. The person in charge of the salvage for the City is Barbara Bonner 224-4616. She should be able to help.
    I hear the city employees get first dibs on opening night. Then the public is allowed to come in and pick over what's left. How Detroit is that?

It is unfortunate that Kamper's work records and drawings were destroyed by a certain close associate...maybe even a family member. No one will ever be able to create a complete list of his works. Same thing with Robert O. Derrick. Back then, nobody cared or thought of the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I hear the city employees get first dibs on opening night. Then the public is allowed to come in and pick over what's left. How Detroit is that?
    What? The city not doing things on the up and up? Say it ain't so. LMAO. I'll say this much. At the 2003 garage sale, a friend of mine was one of the first people to enter when the doors opened on the first day and picked out a riding lawnmower that was in good condition. An Cobo employee ran up to him at the register and stated that they had already tagged, not paid for, the item. My friend had to argue for a few minutes before he could make his purchase. That's very Detroit. LOL