Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ficano gets dumped in primary vote :-)

Nothing official yet,

but with 10% reporting looks like Warren Evans is a heavy favorite with 46% of the vote, and Bill Wild getting 20%

Our buddy Ficano is in fifth with 7% of the vote ....

looks like Duggans endorsement went a long way for Evans

Edit: 31% reporting

Warren Evans 17,020 54%
    William Wild 5,527 18%
    Phil Cavanagh 2,984 9%
    Robert Ficano [[i) 1,919 6%
    Last edited by SpartanDawg; August-05-14 at 09:23 PM.

I saw an ad for Ficano on TV the last night and he said the "new jail WILL be finished". I'm like, the jail downtown? Aren't they in the process of selling the land to Gilbert?

Ficano's folks are not having a victory party. Instead they are having his farewell party.

la, la... la, la, la, la... hey, hey, hey...good-bye!

Good riddance to that wife cheater.

Slightly off-topic, but in other polling news:

-Proposal 1 passes-this is in major contrast to November 2012, when all six proposals failed, including the one Snyder hoped would pass-that one was the emergency-manager-related proposal 1.
    -The proposal to override Lincoln Park's Headlee Amendment fails.
    -As of several hours ago, at least in Wayne County, the SMART millage appears to be successful so far.
    Last edited by mtburb; August-05-14 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Slightly off-topic, but in other polling news:

-Proposal 1 passes.
    -The proposal to override Lincoln Park's Headlee Amendment fails.
    The Headlee Amendment was very confusing so a NO vote will do.

I think the media endorsed Evans as well, whatever the media endorses it's best to vote against it now. I did vote for Smart and it's winning in all counties right now. I think the biggest scum bag comes out of McCotter's old seat with the apparent win by Dave Trott.

Well, if Ficano had won, then we would have had the expense of a special election for a new Executive when he goes to prison, so I call his defeat a double win for the rest of us.

i dont remember the smart bus being on the ballot. was it off in livonia?

I didn't see it on the ballot in Canton either. Was it only on the ballot where SMART offers service? The system map calls out Westland, Dearborn Hts, Farmington and Redford, but not Livonia. So that brings up the musical question, will people only in the cities served by SMART pay the tax?

Quote Originally Posted by Oddz313 View Post
    I think the media endorsed Evans as well, whatever the media endorses it's best to vote against it now. I did vote for Smart and it's winning in all counties right now. I think the biggest scum bag comes out of McCotter's old seat with the apparent win by Dave Trott.
    Agreed... Trott was the last person I wanted to see win. But Trott didn't have any competition in Bentivolio. Easy win.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; August-06-14 at 04:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve203 View Post

I didn't see it on the ballot in Canton either. Was it only on the ballot where SMART offers service? The system map calls out Westland, Dearborn Hts, Farmington and Redford, but not Livonia. So that brings up the musical question, will people only in the cities served by SMART pay the tax?
    The answer to this musical question, yes. It's a pity that Facistville Livonia will don't want to share the regional transit wealth. Let them be stingy and ignorant with their income. It's their choice.
    Last edited by Danny; August-06-14 at 06:25 AM.

Great news that Ficano lost [[I'm surprised that an incumbent lost so badly).

For those who aren't up on their politics, Scott Walker won in Milwaukee County after there was scandal there.

Chris Christie won in Jersey after there was scandal there.

Dems ought not give away their 'bases' [[e.g., Wayne County, New Jersey, etc.) because of terrible incumbents.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post

For those who aren't up on their politics, Scott Walker won in Milwaukee County after there was scandal there.

Dems ought not give away their 'bases' [[e.g., Wayne County, New Jersey, etc.) because of terrible incumbents.
    During his 10 year run as Wayne County Exec. Ficano did well on his first 4 years. Then along came the scandals from Mullen Severance Pay Scandal to the Failed Wayne County Jail Project. Now all of Downtown Detroit is looking at Ficano's Folly Monument. He was like King Kwame Kilpatrick, pimping and playing with our tax dollars. But he didn't get arrested and got away from it.

I hope Ficano still remembers how to drive for himself, the taxpayers won't be doing it for him for much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve203 View Post

Yes. This is what opt-in or opt-out means. Luckily the new RTA rules don't allow this to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I hope Ficano still remembers how to drive for himself, the taxpayers won't be doing it for him for much longer.
    Good call.

"Chris Christie won in Jersey after there was scandal there."

While there were surely numerous scandals and outrages committed by Christie before last November, all were latent or speculative...all of the revelations and the true 'scandal' have come after his reelection.

Applause for removing Ficano and passing SMART funding!

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    "Chris Christie won in Jersey after there was scandal there."

While there were surely numerous scandals and outrages committed by Christie before last November, all were latent or speculative...all of the revelations and the true 'scandal' have come after his reelection.

Applause for removing Ficano and passing SMART funding!
    Removing Ficano is one thing.... if he's being replaced with competent leadership remains to be seen. Not like Evans doesn't bring a lot of baggage.
    Last edited by bailey; August-06-14 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Removing Ficano is one thing.... if he's being replaced with competent leadership remains to be seen. Not like Evans doesn't bring a lot of baggage.
    Totally agree. More of the same old same old.

Darn - I am going to miss the Charlie LeDuff interviews.....

The scumbag didn't even have the decency to make a concession speech. Hopefully they will finish the jail... and throw him and his cronies in it! What a puke.

Warren Evans strikes me a publicity hound who loves the TV camera lights more then a moth. I'm surprised he won so easily.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Warren Evans strikes me a publicity hound who loves the TV camera lights more then a moth. I'm surprised he won so easily.
    I'm not, when less than 20% of the population voted. He had name recognition, cronies, and the lap-dog media to thank. Had people chosen to participate in their democracy and, further, educate themselves before voting, he likely would not have won.

How about everybody who didn't vote go spend a year in one of the purple countries? People died for your right to vote. http://www.freedomhouse.org/report-t...d#.U-KaS-NdWXa

Perhaps Evans can be a stable bridge to someone more instrumental, as Bing was to Duggan [[I realize I am being generous to Bing, but in the grand scheme, that's what he was).

County government is in many ways an extra layer. Hopefully the focus can be on progress, without any f'ups, within the area of the county's limited jurisdiction. And hopefully Duggan can be a whip of sorts that makes sure this layer of government works in Detroit's advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post

Not all scandals are created equal. Voters can often tell the difference between trumped-up scandals for political gain and real scandals of the 'put money in your pocket' kind.

Ficano's scandals are more corruption scandals than political fight scandals.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast