Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit Riverwalk Video from End to End - Do You take advantage of this Public Space?

The below video is from a persons helmet cam, showing off the Riverwalk.

Just curious, who on this forum takes advantage of the Riverwalk? Running, Biking, Fishing, Relaxing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x98l...ature=youtu.be

My wife and I bring our dogs down to Rivard Plaza on Sunday mornings to do the canine to five group dog walk.

Typical lawless bicyclist blowing off stop signs and going against traffic.

I commute to work every day down the Dequindre Cut and Riverfront. So much nicer than riding in the streets.

I run the Riverwalk at about 3 to 4 times a week. Mostly the section between Hart Plaza and Milliken State Park. I have just discovered the section of the Riverwalk between Chene Park and Mount Elliot Plaza.

It is really nice. Also, the section of the Riverwalk west of the Riverfront Apartments just opened up last week. It has been deserted the 2 times I have jogged it.

There is a really cool running/fitness/networking group called Run This Town that runs on the Riverwalk, Downtown, and the Dequindre Cut on Tuesday evenings at 6 pm and Saturday mornings at 10 am.

You can find them on Facebook at: Run This Town [[Literally)

I'm down there 2-3 days a week as well.

The Mt Eliot Plaza - Chene Park stretch is awesome but very underutilized. The Riverfront needs to update there signage along Atwater near Chene Park

[[if not familiar the gate at the end of the street near the rattlesnake could make it think it was private. )

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3358...-8itwe3Qyg!2e0

West Riverfront is very large area that is going to be a nice asset to the RIverfront.

RTT is a great group

Yea, it's been wonderfully done.

Is there any chance this could run down to Fort Wayne some day? Maybe it could bring some interest to that place, which could use a lot of love.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Typical lawless bicyclist blowing off stop signs and going against traffic.
    Same here I work late and try to make it to at least one sunset down there a week. It's one of my favorite places to get my zen on!

You know, I think the riverfront apartments really need to open up their riverfront and have it connect seamlessly with the riverfront west and east of it.

It honestly makes no sense that it isn't the case currently. I know a big part of their complex is it being separate and secure blah blah.. but I think that a lot of their residents would also enjoy having such easy access to the riverfront and be able to actually walk downtown on a nice day, and not take the people mover.

Honestly when I was looking to move down here my absolute biggest problem with that building when I toured it was the fact that there was no easy pedestrian access. A huge part of downtown urban living that a lot of people want is to be able to walk out of their lobby and into the city with ease.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    You know, I think the riverfront apartments really need to open up their riverfront and have it connect seamlessly with the riverfront west and east of it.

It honestly makes no sense that it isn't the case currently. I know a big part of their complex is it being separate and secure blah blah.. but I think that a lot of their residents would also enjoy having such easy access to the riverfront and be able to actually walk downtown on a nice day, and not take the people mover.

Honestly when I was looking to move down here my absolute biggest problem with that building when I toured it was the fact that there was no easy pedestrian access. A huge part of downtown urban living that a lot of people want is to be able to walk out of their lobby and into the city with ease.
    Once Joe Louis arena is torn down the area would Iook more inviting and the Riverwalk could go straight through

The Riverwalk goes through Harbortown, which is another private residential development that is right on the river. I don't understand why the Conservancy and the Riverfront Apartments can't settle on an arrangement like the one with Harbortown. In the Harbortown section, there are tall iron fences along the Riverwalk that prevent people from the Riverwalk from entering Harbortown.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    The Riverwalk goes through Harbortown, which is another private residential development that is right on the river. I don't understand why the Conservancy and the Riverfront Apartments can't settle on an arrangement like the one with Harbortown. In the Harbortown section, there are tall iron fences along the Riverwalk that prevent people from the Riverwalk from entering Harbortown.

i agree they should either just put up a fence or something if they're worried.. but even if they didn't to get into the actual buildings you still need a key or key fob of some sort anyways.. not like people will be able to get into the buildings if they're on the grounds..

and in terms of the Joe being demolished if you look at a satellite image it really doesn't need to be in order to have the river walk connectName:  Screen Shot 2014-08-06 at 8.57.18 AM.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  20.6 KB

the red arrows are where the current river walk ends when on the river... they just need to go through the riverfront apartments property, and a tiny part of the parking lot for joe louis [[which i'm sure they won't have a problem with)

I'm hoping the same thing happens. Having the direct access across the current Joe Louis parking lot on the riverfront and through the Riverfront Apartments would really be nice. I'm not holding my breath though.

Didn't ownership shut down their marina as well awhile ago? Thought I read that somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    I'm hoping the same thing happens. Having the direct access across the current Joe Louis parking lot on the riverfront and through the Riverfront Apartments would really be nice. I'm not holding my breath though.

Didn't ownership shut down their marina as well awhile ago? Thought I read that somewhere.
    yup when i toured the facility about a year ago it was definitely shut down... for all the good happening in that building in terms of the renovations and whatnot, they really could do a few more things to make living there a home run

Who owns the property [[empty lot) between West Riverfront and Riverfront Towers?

Also who owns the Joe Louis Arena Parking Lot? Is this a city lot that is leased by Olympia?