Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Cycling connectivity - Livernois and 8Mile

As a Ferndale resident, I've taken notice of a lot more bike traffic between South Oakland County and the city taking place along Livernois over the past few years. Lately there's been even more: Ferndale recently upgraded the bike lanes just north of 8Mile, and Livernois on the Detroit side has "sharrows" indicating that this is a bike route, even if it doesn't have designated bike lanes.

A Ferndale city councilwoman posted about the new bike lanes and connections on her blog this weekend:

http://www.meltropolis.com/blog/?p=208

Nice to see that the 'burb I live in is able to embrace and improve its connectivity to Detroit. Granted, the neighborhoods just the other side of 8Mile are bikeable and walkable and pretty stable, but this is still encouraging.

A shot from the blog, looking into Detroit from Ferndale:

Name:  P1080297.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  33.9 KB

I'll take credit for the new bicycle racks at Winchester Mall in Rotttinchester and management will provide them for all of their properties. Now you don't have to lock your bike to a mailbox anymore!
    Last edited by Bigb23; August-05-14 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ferndalien View Post
    ... Livernois on the Detroit side has "sharrows" indicating that this is a bike route, even if it doesn't have designated bike lanes....
    I had to look that one up: Shared lane marking. Thanks. I wouldn't have known.

... in order to reduce the chance of a bicyclist’s impacting the open door of a parked vehicle;...
    Woah. People don't check their side rear view mirror before opening their door?! Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    People don't check their side rear view mirror before opening their door?! Ouch!
    One of the most common cyclist problems in urban environments is getting "doored". I always watch for heads/faces in side view mirrors as I approach parked cars - If someone's in a car, theres a good chance they'll swing that door open...

Quote Originally Posted by ferndalien View Post
    One of the most common cyclist problems in urban environments is getting "doored". I always watch for heads/faces in side view mirrors as I approach parked cars - If someone's in a car, theres a good chance they'll swing that door open...
    That is so stupid. A simple glance in the mirror first could avoid another car slamming into their door.

Come to think of it, I've seen cars with a door severely crumpled near the hinge that looked like that's exactly what happened!

That needs to be emphasized more in driver's ed courses.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    That is so stupid. A simple glance in the mirror first could avoid another car slamming into their door.

Come to think of it, I've seen cars with a door severely crumpled near the hinge that looked like that's exactly what happened!

That needs to be emphasized more in driver's ed courses.
    It's a big thing I do every time, but I know plenty of people who do not stay aware of their surroundings.

Glad to see more bike lanes! I am hoping one day we have a great system of bike lanes or even shared lanes to allow for me to get around wherever I want