Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Rescue mission offers second chance to those who need it most

Cool! I want to visit this Bistro as soon as possible! See video and story...

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/26...o-need-it-most

HIGHLAND PARK, Mich. [[WJBK) -
    Mark Jones whips up a quick house salad with bacon, and he does it with pride.

Not long ago -- he was homeless and living in a shelter. Now, thanks to Detroit Rescue Mission Ministries -- he has big news to share.

"I just got hired in on the 21st," Jones said.

A full time job cooking in the kitchen at Cornerstone Bistro in Highland Park. He completed a 12-week training program which includes passing the state certification exam. And the 48-year-old has plenty of specialties.

"I cook lasagne, gumbo - I do baked chicken, good house salads and stuff like that.

Jones is one of about 100 people who come through this program every year. They start out homeless or newly released from prison, and this training gives them hope and a future.

Men or women can walk in right off the street.

The rescue mission also offers housing -- 250 men live in that YMCA alone -- it serves as a shelter, prisoner re-entry and veteran's program.

Tony Bazzi is the general manager at Cornerstone Bistro. He oversees the training.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-04-14 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Cool! I want to visit this Bistro as soon as possible! See video and story...

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/26...o-need-it-most

HIGHLAND PARK, Mich. [[WJBK) -
    Mark Jones whips up a quick house salad with bacon, and he does it with pride.

Not long ago -- he was homeless and living in a shelter. Now, thanks to Detroit Rescue Mission Ministries -- he has big news to share.

"I just got hired in on the 21st," Jones said.

A full time job cooking in the kitchen at Cornerstone Bistro in Highland Park. He completed a 12-week training program which includes passing the state certification exam. And the 48-year-old has plenty of specialties.

"I cook lasagne, gumbo - I do baked chicken, good house salads and stuff like that.

Jones is one of about 100 people who come through this program every year. They start out homeless or newly released from prison, and this training gives them hope and a future.

Men or women can walk in right off the street.

The rescue mission also offers housing -- 250 men live in that YMCA alone -- it serves as a shelter, prisoner re-entry and veteran's program.

Tony Bazzi is the general manager at Cornerstone Bistro. He oversees the training.
    VERY cool, and I agree, a trip out is in order.