Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 7-27-09 What’s Going on in Lake St. Clair?

Anyone have any idea what going on in the North Channel of Lake St. Clair? This is not a dredging barge and the caisson is not used for dredging!

Inquiring minds want to know

FlybyDon

This is one for BillyBrew. Paging BillyBrew.

Could it be an escape hatch for the Dharma Initiative?

They got a tip where Jimmy Hoffa's body was dumped...

My guess is some kind of navigational marker or beacon.

Tug Fischer Hayden is working on reconstructing light buoy 30. I don’t know exactly what reconstruction work they’re doing, but they’ve been at it for a few weeks now.

Oh, & USACE tug Demolen is finally dredging the shoaling at X-32.

Looks like Apollo 18 to me.

Awfavre is correct, they are currently building Lake St. Clair Light #30 to replace Buoy #30, which is probably the buoy in the right corner. This new light is anchored to the bottom of the lake.

I sure would like to see what happens inside that caisson. Those things have always fascinated me for some reason. I wonder what kind of things they discover on the river bed when they go down there?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I sure would like to see what happens inside that caisson. Those things have always fascinated me for some reason. I wonder what kind of things they discover on the river bed when they go down there?

Do you 'really' want to know??????

Well, people are still wondering where Jimmy Hoffa is.

Awfarve is more in the know than me these days. I have been retired from tugboating for over a year now.

Do you 'really' want to know??????
    Why, yes, in an archeological sense, I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Why, yes, in an archeological sense, I do.
    I was at Sinbad's one day back in the 80's when someone's boat anchor pulled up a body. It was obvious it had been on the bottom for quite some time. That's something that I will remember for the rest of my life. Don't care to see anything like that ever again.

Speaking of Jimmy Hoffa, I heard something on WWJ this morning about a jawbone that was found in Oakland County somewhere, didn't hear that part. The reporter said something about maybe it is Jimmy Hoffa.

According to today's Detroit News, the jawbone was found on Lochridge Road near Club Drive in Bloomfield Township.

It is between 200-1000 years old, so not Jimmy. We'll have to keep looking.