Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Which mall is set to be sacrificed for this new badly needed new retail center?

A busy corner near the old Northville Psychiatric Hospital is beginning a new life as a shopping center.

Construction crews and equipment have been busy this summer erecting Northville Park Place at the southwest corner of 7 Mile Road and Haggerty in Northville Township.

About half of the space in those future buildings already has potential leases, said David Schostak, CEO of Schostak Brothers. That list of future tenants includes Chipotle, BurgerFi, Jimmy John’s, Rusty Bucket, Granite City Food & Brewery and Sherwin Williams.

Schostak Brothers is codeveloping Northville Park Place with Bloomfield Hills-based REI Investment Group in a joint venture called REIS-Northville.

“The market demand has been good, and we’re excited to get this under way,” David Schostak said.

http://www.freep.com/article/20140803/BUSINESS06/308030039/Northville-retail-development-psychiatric-hospital

Is this why Taubman is suddenly trying to get rid of their malls in Metro Detroit?

Not to long ago, The developers want that piece of the area of 7 Mile Rd. and Haggerty Rd. to be annexed to Livonia, but the Livonians said no. because to would raise their property taxes. Slow down the sprawl now.

In 20 years, when they're tearing this thing down, Northville will be left with a big bill...

Highly doubtful...especially since they are keeping Twelve Oaks, which is the only one that they own within 15 miles of this place. This is also just a glorified strip mall from what it sounds like, not a full shopping mall.
    Last edited by Wings; August-04-14 at 03:09 PM.

That list of future tenants includes Chipotle, BurgerFi, Jimmy John’s, Rusty Bucket, Granite City Food & Brewery and Sherwin Williams.
    Equivalents of all of those businesses [especially the bad corporate food joints] can be found in multiples within a mile of there. The whole stretch is seems over-traded.

The I-275 with Haggerty as its pull-over lane is the westside main street. What Telegraph once was, what Livernois once removed was.

I'm not sure whose lunch is being eaten but I think the main toll continues to fall on the little strip malls. Some look absolutely dismal, have high vacancies and what businesses exist often appear very marginal [small inventories / poor presentation].

A friend purchased a home near here last year and it has increased in value by $100k over the past 9 months. This development is an investor's dream.Better than investing in Detroit. Competition will only help Detroit as it will need to raise it's game or go bankrupt again.

Taubman fully understands that the throwaway society mentality pertains to malls, too.

I think a psychiatric hospital would be far more beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    In 20 years, when they're tearing this thing down, Northville will be left with a big bill...
    Your optimistic outlook is so refreshing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simpson View Post
    A friend purchased a home near here last year and it has increased in value by $100k over the past 9 months. This development is an investor's dream.Better than investing in Detroit. Competition will only help Detroit as it will need to raise it's game or go bankrupt again.
    There are no malls in Detroit so not sure what you think this will be competing against in Detroit.

No retail strips? Take a drive and you will see some. Mostly though, there are empty store fronts where retails strips used to be. Detroit must learn to compete if the sprawl is to be stopped. Don't be a victim. Figure out where the money is being invested, and why.

I see what you're saying. And yeah, Detroit has no malls, that's pretty clear, but it does have too much sprawl-imitating development, Jefferson Ave. being perhaps the worst. And I agree that it can compete if it acts more like a big city in its design and amenities, as that would attract people and a broad array of retail.

We live near there and traffic on Haggerty is already pretty bad most of the day so I'm dreading this. Plus it was sad to see them tear out all the trees along 7 & Haggerty. I expect the next mall to be sacrificed could be Laurel Park, just across 275 @ 6 mile. Last time I was there [[which was probably almost a year) there weren't that many folks cruising around and the quality of the stores seemed too be slipping.

Pave Paradise, Put Up a Parking Lot...
    Last edited by mtm49269; August-04-14 at 02:26 PM. Reason: fix typo

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simpson View Post
    No retail strips? Take a drive and you will see some. Mostly though, there are empty store fronts where retails strips used to be. Detroit must learn to compete if the sprawl is to be stopped. Don't be a victim. Figure out where the money is being invested, and why.
    Take a drive and be sure not to stop until you find that mall in Detroit.

Is this the same corner where the new U of M Health Center is?

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    Is this the same corner where the new U of M Health Center is?
    Yes, same corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Taubman fully understands that the throwaway society mentality pertains to malls, too.

I think a psychiatric hospital would be far more beneficial.
    Your clear-eyed outlook is so refreshing.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    There are no malls in Detroit so not sure what you think this will be competing against in Detroit.
    Pointe Plaza, the RenCen and New Center One come to mind.

The Northville complex is not a mall.