Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default More Downtwn Housing Coming - Shapero Hall

Yep this is right around the corner from me. Saw workers clearing out the building. They confirmed this story

It would rival the Lafayette Pavillion.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-slated-for-ex

Small, poorly constructed, inexpensive housing.
    Fixed. As soon as I read "developer Dennis Kefallinos' Detroit-based Boydell Development Co.", I knew the place is going to be a shit hole, I've read way too threads with complaints about the quality of construction and maintenance of their properties. The search function on this site does this company no favors. It's a shame that building is such prime location couldn't be aquired by a more reputable company.

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...a-Boydell-loft
    Last edited by MSUguy; August-03-14 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    It would rival the Lafayette Pavillion.
    in what ways?

What's the cost for a studio? Is it section 8'd?

If its a Dennis Kellifinos project, I will try my best to prevent anyone to occupy that building. 90 percent of Kellifinos buildings don't get fixed! He is the truly infamous slumlord of Detroit.

Glad to see this building being saved, even if it won't be the shiniest new development in town.

Applause for adaptive reuse and repopulating the lower east side. It will be up to them to make it nice enough and in good repair to fill it with paying tenants. But the fact that it is going residential is undoubtedly good.

That fellow voicing a concern about a microapartment trend has just rendered himself a voice not to be trusted, in my book. First, these aren't that tiny. Second, where is this trend? Third, why would you worry about the trend subsuming the market? If and when that somehow occurred, it would be at the market's behest. I don't see, particularly in spacious old Detroit, any likelihood of developers only providing tiny apartments. I am surprised that Crain's even entertained his concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Applause for adaptive reuse and repopulating the lower east side. It will be up to them to make it nice enough and in good repair to fill it with paying tenants. But the fact that it is going residential is undoubtedly good.

That fellow voicing a concern about a microapartment trend has just rendered himself a voice not to be trusted, in my book. First, these aren't that tiny. Second, where is this trend? Third, why would you worry about the trend subsuming the market? If and when that somehow occurred, it would be at the market's behest. I don't see, particularly in spacious old Detroit, any likelihood of developers only providing tiny apartments. I am surprised that Crain's even entertained his concern.
    Apparently two is a trend. Even so, it doesn't seem like the demand would be high enough for two entire buildings like this. Then again, most of the apartments in Lafayette Park are pretty large.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    in what ways?
    Location, and probably nothing else

Statler City Apts by Village Green Co. was referenced in the Crain's article. Is that project actually a 'go'? http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...atler-site.php

Also, who owns the huge lot directly south of Shapero Hall? Is that part of the Kefallinos property? Wow is that ever ripe for a companion development of similar height with ground floor commercial space.

Also, who owns the huge lot directly south of Shapero Hall? Is that part of the Kefallinos property? Wow is that ever ripe for a companion development of similar height with ground floor commercial space.
    i believe it is part of the property. look for that to just be surface parking in line with the pavilion and lafayette towers. shame though. id love to see further development with some sort of parking structure incorporated.

i dont see kafallinos doing anything special with the property and in a few years we will hear something about another developer taking over and altering the property.

as for statler city i hope that things is put on hold permanently. thats not the spot for a development like that.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    i believe it is part of the property. look for that to just be surface parking in line with the pavilion and lafayette towers. shame though. id love to see further development with some sort of parking structure incorporated.

i dont see kafallinos doing anything special with the property and in a few years we will hear something about another developer taking over and altering the property.

as for statler city i hope that things is put on hold permanently. thats not the spot for a development like that.
    I for one would be more than pleased if a decent developer came along to acquire and build on that lot in a few years

Yeah it was interesting that Crain's dredged up the Statler site. I thought the DEGC denied that application. Was there a change of course? Anyway, as to the merits of it, while it would not be the biggest disappointment ever, it is certainly the sort of development that I'd love to see populating midtown and Brush Park but not so much the CBD.

Statler City Apts by Village Green Co. was referenced in the Crain's article. Is that project actually a 'go'? http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...atler-site.php
    I'm pretty sure that project was approved. Due date is 2016.

http://www.degc.org/degc-news/dda-gi...ntial-projects

The micro apartment plan fits with the usual Boydell bare bones leasing business model. The finishes on Boydell units are akin to drunk uncle basement renovations. But even on the cheap, this will necessarily be a major investment unlike the $5/sq.ft "renovations" that Boydell inflicts on its loft properties. Shapero Hall is a mess. It's basically a shell with no working systems and needs new windows and a roof. Even the parking lot is in shambles.

Then again, Mr. Keffalinos is now flush with Ilitch money after a couple of lucrative property flips in the Arena District. Maybe some of that money will get devoted to making sure that this project is done right.