Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Is There a Speed Limit on the Detroit River?

I saw a fleet of powerboats roaring up river. They seemed to be running at full throttle. Maybe it was some race? Any idea how fast they could be moving? I am guessing 50-60 MPH.

A question bubbled up in my curious mind. Is there a speed limit on the Detroit River? Or is it go as fast as you wish as long as you do it responsibly?

Click Here and See this^ image full screen.

There is not a speed limit on the east side of Belle Isle. However there is a no wake zone starting at Bayview Yacht Club down to the Belle Isle bridge. That was put in place to reduce the number of boats docked in that area from being tossed around.

Those look like offshore racers to me, but the Powerboat championship isn't until labor day weekend

I was out on lake st. clair today and saw those boats rip by me. They were headed towards the detroit river and I was guessing maybe they were going to put-in-bay. No speed limits on the lakes other than occasional slow no wake buoys, but yes they were going very fast.

Einstein says no faster than 186,000 mps.

Looks like an everyday Poker Run.......

Question: I've seen those guys do that a boatload of times, [[ha-ha) and have always heard that expression to describe the event. What exactly does that mean?

Poker runten characters

I think it's 40 mph for boats over 20 meters in length.