Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default [[David) Price is Right

Ace lefty pitcher to Tigers.

World Series or bust. I don't feel too bad about losing a 27-year old career .277 hitter, but I wish they would've been able to keep Smyly. Who knows, hopefully Robbie Ray will turn out to be better than Drew.

Quote Originally Posted by Wings View Post
    World Series or bust. I don't feel too bad about losing a 27-year old career .277 hitter, but I wish they would've been able to keep Smyly. Who knows, hopefully Robbie Ray will turn out to be better than Drew.
    Pending a decision at season's end by Scherzer, we are 5 deep at starting pitch:

Scherzer, Price, Sanchez, Porcello and [[at the back of the rotation?) Verlander.

Price is a lefty [[Smyly too). Ray becomes the 2nd ranked lefty on the Tigers.

Jackson was a piece in the Scherzer/Jackson/Coke/Scheraith[[sp) trade.

Smyly was home grown and Adames is apparently one our top Caribbean signing program jewels [[he is only 18 and playing low A ball).

We trade pieces of our system but look at what we get back. Dombrowski gets it done.

And yes, Ilitch is a great owner. Dombrowski best President, GM, etc. in MLB.

Oh I don't disagree at all. I love how Dombrowski is willing to trade players and let go of those who are underperforming. If only Ken Holland could start taking notes.

Oh I don't disagree at all. I love how Dombrowski is willing to trade players and let go of those who are underperforming. If only Ken Holland could start taking notes.
    Good thing for Ray is that he can get seasoning in the minors until we need another starter.

Ray is young and isn't ready to start for an "October" team.

Side note: I hope and pray and pray and hope MLB doesn't select Dombrowski to replace Bud Selig next year.

I think Dombrowski is a good gm but hardly a worldbeater. The Tigers have not developed any really good everyday players during his 10 years with the team. Granderson is the only one I can think of [[I don't count Avila). Castellanos looks like he will hit but he better develop into a 25 home run hitter because his range and hands are well below average. As far as the Tigers starters, they are very poor at going deep into games considering their salaries [[15 million plus for each of the top 3) and this magnifies are bullpen problems. Other general managers in the division would love to have the Tigers payroll.

Tigers also pick up 7M in salary.

Price is around 14M. Jackson+ Smyly half of that.

How long will the Tigers have control of Price? I know the M's have control of Jackson through next year. And given the shape of the M's outfield, for us it's a good deal, given that we gave up a minor league shortstop who hasn't yet proved he can hit major league pitching.

A complete steal. I don't know how Mr. D keeps pulling this stuff off.

Leaves us weaker up the middle, no doubt about it. Hopefully Dirks comes back soon. Don Kelly everyday doesn't do it for me.

I don't think I've EVER seen starting pitching like the Tigers have now.

Yes, the starting pitchers look excellent. Smyly was likely gone, next year. But, to win the World Series, they need consistency with their bats, and improved relief pitching.
    Adrenalin may help the bats, but I see a not so great relief crew.
    Let's hope they prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    A complete steal. I don't know how Mr. D keeps pulling this stuff off.

Leaves us weaker up the middle, no doubt about it. Hopefully Dirks comes back soon. Don Kelly everyday doesn't do it for me.

I don't think I've EVER seen starting pitching like the Tigers have now.
    Carrera bats left-handed and has more speed than Jackson. The job is his until he shows he can't hit enough to keep it although Davis may still platoon against lefties and get a couple of starts per week.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    How long will the Tigers have control of Price? I know the M's have control of Jackson through next year. And given the shape of the M's outfield, for us it's a good deal, given that we gave up a minor league shortstop who hasn't yet proved he can hit major league pitching.
    Tigers have control of Price through 2015 as well [[as having had Jackson through 2015):

"But you wonder if even Price, who can only work every five games for the Tigers, and who is headed for free agency in 15 months...

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz396yoZHzY

BTW, I know Lynn Henning seems upset to lose the young, talented SS prospect, Adames, from the Dom. Republic, but we do have Suarez and Iglesias there. Both are young and could develop.
    Last edited by emu steve; July-31-14 at 11:36 PM.

Hopefully the starting rotation can figure out how to pitch complete games every night because that bullpen still sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    Yes, the starting pitchers look excellent. Smyly was likely gone, next year. But, to win the World Series, they need consistency with their bats, and improved relief pitching.
    Adrenalin may help the bats, but I see a not so great relief crew.
    Let's hope they prove me wrong.
    Agreed. I see this as more of a long-term move as opposed to one to win the Series. Let's not forget that our starters have taken us to the 7th inning in every round of the playoffs. They weren't our problem. Now you're going to have three rookies in the lineup....4 if you count JD Martinez, who never played a meaningful game in Houston. Somebody's going to go 5 for 54 in September & October. Also, the best starting pitcher to assume a bullpen role is unfortunately Scherzer because he throws strikes...and that isn't going to happen....so I don't think this move helps us in the playoffs as much as people think.

I also hope I'm proven wrong.

Bad move! I don't want to see Austin Jackson go. He is one of best outfielders in the Tigers' roster.

Watching the Tiger games every day the last few yrs., you come to see that this team looks a lot better on paper than it really is. They just don't do any of the little things well. They are slow on the bases, the infield defence [[except Kinsler) rarely takes away a base hit, the pitchers don't hold runners on, the offence is terrible at situational hitting, etc. At the end of the game, the box score reads Tigers lose 4-3 but had 12 base hits.

From Fox, Detroit......

It's evident to me that this move provides insurance in the rotation next year should Scherzer go elsewhere, which he more than likely will do.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    It's evident to me that this move provides insurance in the rotation next year should Scherzer go elsewhere, which he more than likely will do.
    Exactly. Ilitch takes Scherzer's money and gives it to Price who should re-up during the off season.

I suspect Price will like playing in Detroit on a pennant contender before large crowds.

BTW, I'm fairly sure that Jackson's agent is Boras. Don't know who represents Price.

Shame about Scherzer: He says he loves Detroit and Ilitch offered a ton of money. Max, what's the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Exactly. Ilitch takes Scherzer's money and gives it to Price who should re-up during the off season.

I suspect Price will like playing in Detroit on a pennant contender before large crowds.

BTW, I'm fairly sure that Jackson's agent is Boras. Don't know who represents Price.

Shame about Scherzer: He says he loves Detroit and Ilitch offered a ton of money. Max, what's the problem?
    Scott Boras is Scherzer's problem. He can probably engineer some deal for $250M 100 Years or whatever, but will Scherzer ever have as good of a shot at winning? I doubt it.

Also, yes Boras is Jackson's agent and will probably shop him out for more than he is worth to not-the-Detroit-Tigers.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...g-World-Series

Tigers 5:1 to win WS. A's are the top dog at 4:1.

Can October get here sooner... The post season should be great esp. if it is Tiger pitching vs. A's pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I think Dombrowski is a good gm but hardly a worldbeater. The Tigers have not developed any really good everyday players during his 10 years with the team. Granderson is the only one I can think of [[I don't count Avila). Castellanos looks like he will hit but he better develop into a 25 home run hitter because his range and hands are well below average. As far as the Tigers starters, they are very poor at going deep into games considering their salaries [[15 million plus for each of the top 3) and this magnifies are bullpen problems. Other general managers in the division would love to have the Tigers payroll.
    Great points. DD will ultimately be judged by WS rings. He has them on the cusp, but they've been on the cusp the last few seasons. Personally, I'd rather they'd traded for Andrew Miller[[ former Tiger 1st round pick)a dynamite lefty in the pen, that can get out left and right-handed bats, he went to the O's instead. But, when you have a opportunity to get Price for a pop and a bag of chips, you have to do it. Jackson is going to be missed for his defense in CF, hopefully they can plug that hole, at least for the short term.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; August-01-14 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post

Price is under control the rest of this season and next. They'd probably offer a extension next year. Scherzer is nuts turning down $144 million. I seriously doubt he'd get more than that after this season. He's not Clayton Kershaw.

wish we could be rid of JV and keep Price & Scherzer. Good pitching beats good bats. AJ was a slightly above avg bat with good range. My biggest problem is having liked AJ as a Tiger. Dont like to see the guys you like go. Smyly sure didnt see it coming. Hes going to Tampa? That kinda sucks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast