Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit pistons stadium at the old brewster-douglass projects site??

What do you think about possibly building a new Detroit Piston's stadium at the old site of the Brewster-Douglass Projects? It's right by the freeway for easy access..Just a thought...

Ummmm...no. If they ever move downtown it will be into the new Wings arena.

Well the Pistons should be in Detroit, but I'd put a moratorium on new arenas. I agree, they can play at the new arena at Woodward and Henry.

For the Brewster site, I recommend a large public recreational facility, with adjacent mid-rise housing developed along Beaubien St.

someone sometime back mentioned that this land will return to public housing or the city is on the hook for demolition of the towers and row houses. Downtown Detroit does not need another stadium on the Brewster site and its unfortunate that this spot will remain low income housing. Not suggesting Detroit doesn't need and shouldn't have low income housing but its a big city with plenty of space for low income govt subsidized housing. The Brewster location would be better as something else.

I hear it is going to be an Ikea. That is why they have been advertising so much in CMP.

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    someone sometime back mentioned that this land will return to public housing or the city is on the hook for demolition of the towers and row houses. Downtown Detroit does not need another stadium on the Brewster site and its unfortunate that this spot will remain low income housing. Not suggesting Detroit doesn't need and shouldn't have low income housing but its a big city with plenty of space for low income govt subsidized housing. The Brewster location would be better as something else.
    Yeah no more stadiums for a while, at least for 30 years until the current ones are obsolete. I can't think of another city where there are four separate stadiums for their big 4 sports teams...but I doubt the Pistons are moving downtown since Gores is so invested in the Palace. On the off chance they do, it will be to the new Red Wings arena. As far as the Brewster Homes go they're working on demolishing the last few towers [[they might be done). I have a feeling they will spend the money to demolish the rowhouses when the time comes since that area is currently becoming more and more popular with the development of midtown/downtown. That would be a great area for more midrise apartment buildings since it's so close to the DMC and WSU Medical School or a small residential neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitmale View Post
    What do you think about possibly building a new Detroit Piston's stadium at the old site of the Brewster-Douglass Projects? It's right by the freeway for easy access..Just a thought...
    The correct answer is..............................

No.

If the Pistons do move downtown-it will be to Woodward and Henry.

Quote Originally Posted by Wings View Post
    Yeah no more stadiums for a while, at least for 30 years until the current ones are obsolete. I can't think of another city where there are four separate stadiums for their big 4 sports teams...but I doubt the Pistons are moving downtown since Gores is so invested in the Palace. On the off chance they do, it will be to the new Red Wings arena. As far as the Brewster Homes go they're working on demolishing the last few towers [[they might be done). I have a feeling they will spend the money to demolish the rowhouses when the time comes since that area is currently becoming more and more popular with the development of midtown/downtown. That would be a great area for more midrise apartment buildings since it's so close to the DMC and WSU Medical School or a small residential neighborhood.
    I could see the Pistons moving to the new Wings arena as a way to clear up more concert dates for the Palace. Right now, concerts are far more lucrative for Palace Entertainment than the Pistons are.

Of course, the trick would be sweetening the deal enough with Olympia who would be the chief competition for those same concerts.

Quote Originally Posted by EL Jimbo View Post
    I could see the Pistons moving to the new Wings arena as a way to clear up more concert dates for the Palace. Right now, concerts are far more lucrative for Palace Entertainment than the Pistons are.

Of course, the trick would be sweetening the deal enough with Olympia who would be the chief competition for those same concerts.
    I have a feeling the new Red Wings arena is going to draw more concerts than the Palace will after it opens.

I have a feeling the new Red Wings arena is going to draw more concerts than the Palace will after it opens.
    I thought last week when they announced the new arena had changed from 18 to 20,000 seats it probably had more to do with competing with the Palace for concerts than Wings demand.

It'll all depend on the money. 99% of concert venue decisions are driven by money.

Before the Palace, JLA thrived. And the concerts were willing to pay the Detroit Ticket Service Fees. They had zero choice.

That's what let the Palace take 80% of the concert business. It cost each artist about $3-5 per person to pay the CoD. Finally, that fee was eliminated. It was gravy for the city. The hockey tickets fees were paying back the construction bonds. JLA has been back in the concert game the last 5-7 years because those service fees were reduced/eliminated on concerts.

Did everyone here get that? Its all about the money. And if you want concerts, don't put fees on tickets to support your general revenues -- or you won't have much revenue as it will find a cheaper place to play.

Artists are incredibly greedy -- even those populist artists. Their managers are greedy. Greedy. Greedy.

It's not going to work.

1. The Palace of Auburn Hills is still freshly new, even though its over 25 years old.

2. Tom Gores, Detroit Pistons owner is still holding on to its ownership.

3. It's going to be about 50 to 75 years before the Pistons move back to Detroit in their new stadium.

Right now no plans for a new Detroit's Stadium is in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I hear it is going to be an Ikea. That is why they have been advertising so much in CMP.

An Ikea in Detroit, AHAHAHAHA!!! Not in 25 to 35 years. You can't put a big box store in the once ghetto village inner city like area. Security will be a priority.

The Brewster Douglas Projects is destined to filled with high secured yuppified superlofts and mega condos that would river Crosswinds Condos in Brush Park.

Remove all zoning restrictions from the property, and sell it to the highest bidder. With out all the politicians and "planning experts" trying to grab a piece of the pie, the property will be developed to it's highest potential. Those with real skin in the game, none of the "local stakeholders", [[ what a rubbish concept btw.), will what to do what is best for their investment.

All the interesting areas, that public planners try to recreate, and fail consistently, were developed before zoning.

Nope won't work and we don't have a need for another stadium. If the Pistons ever do move back downtown it'll be in the Wings new arena.

Minnesota teams and Miami are the only two I can think of. I think Phoenix as well. Also I was downtown yesterday and two of the towers appeared to still be standing but part demolished.

its my understanding [[from here) that the Brewster site will become govt housing again.

The Pistons could make a deal with Ford Field to have games played their until a stadium built for them. Money would be made and attendance would be high at FordField if the Piston would play a few experimental games there

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    its my understanding [[from here) that the Brewster site will become govt housing again.

This time it would like the new housing close to the residency requirements in Chicago's Near North Side community of the once Cabrini-Green Housing Projects:

1.You must have job.

2. You must have good credit.

3. You must not be a sex offender.

4. You must not have any incidents with your property or any conflicts with your neighbors in the past.

5. You must not live under cash assistance, food stamps or receiving unemployment benefits before applying for housing.

6. You must be a convicted felon.

I'd like to see them re-grid the streets even if government housing is coming back. But that's probably not going to happen either.

Quote Originally Posted by Shai_Hulud View Post
    I'd like to see them re-grid the streets even if government housing is coming back. But that's probably not going to happen either.
    I don't know if I believe that they're going to put more government housing there. Midtown and Downtown are gentrifying and becoming popular places to live. I'm pretty sure all the yuppies wouldn't want to be next door neighbors with two full neighborhoods of low-income housing and all the problems that come with that. I think the city leaders are understanding enough to know to not repeat their mistakes of building projects close to the Downtown area.

The problem is that if the city doesn't replace the project with more low-income housing then they are going to lose their subsidies and have to pay the full cost for demolition and redevelopment of the land, and for acquiring land and building replacement housing elsewhere. All of which costs money we don't have right now.

I don't know if I believe that they're going to put more government housing there. Midtown and Downtown are gentrifying and becoming popular places to live. I'm pretty sure all the yuppies wouldn't want to be next door neighbors with two full neighborhoods of low-income housing and all the problems that come with that. I think the city leaders are understanding enough to know to not repeat their mistakes of building projects close to the Downtown area.
    In Chicago's Near North Side between Gold Coast and once Cabrini-Green Housing Projects, yuppified mega condos were built on the site where those prison-like housing project once stood. Fewer low-income folks get along just fine with yuppie middle income folks. It won't be more welfare and food stamp folks, gangbangers and DEAD [[C)KRAK HEADS living and loitering around that area. More police patrols are in the area every 10 minutes.
    Last edited by Danny; August-01-14 at 06:53 PM.

Put viable and verifiable businesses in there, like in the so called African Town, wrapped around new use for the rec complex. There could be room for Bert's, Parks BBQ, another Baker's Keyboard, the R&B museum, Steve's Soul food, some of the Paradise Valley and Black Bottom businesses that could relocate [[if any are still around), a neo-soul bar for the Erykah Badu, Jill Scott aficionados, etc etc. and maybe a historic church [[like the one in the Brewsters) or two [[no mega churches). Maybe even keep a block or two of the rowhouses for dynamic young people who are really working hard to keep their communities and neighborhoods viable. You've got the Kappas and the Masons up the street, Brush Park in the area and the block or two of the to be rehabbed older bldgs and manses. Dont just put 2014 style bldgs and senior homes there. If it is to stay low income you have some people in other DHC properties that are capable of living there without problems. I am seeing whats going on in Brightmoor, west of Chalfonte and Outer Drive and am impressed in how country idyllic it is now. Come on, plant some trees, shield the freeway noise, make greenways get it going, connect areas and do some ****.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    The problem is that if the city doesn't replace the project with more low-income housing then they are going to lose their subsidies and have to pay the full cost for demolition and redevelopment of the land, and for acquiring land and building replacement housing elsewhere. All of which costs money we don't have right now.
    Why is that? Do you have a source other than this thread saying that? Because they've already demolished two of the towers and are working on the last two, and the rowhouses are already gone. The demolition was paid for by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development, and Dave Bing was quoted as saying "We welcome the chance to make it a productive residential and commercial area once again" and that "developers from throughout the country are already proposing ideas for the large space"....I don't think any of those ideas would be more government housing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast