Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Out of Town visitors recommendations

Hi, I have family coming in late August and were wondering about some great places to show of the city for lunch, dinner and casual drinks. I want to stay out of corktown because they've already been there, I was thinking maybe Trinosphres or somewhere in the West Village. Any information will help, Thank You

P.S. will red hook be open by then on Agnes and Van dyke?

Craft Work in W. Village comes to mind. But I haven't been yet and am relying on others' good word.

And if you are looking for Saturday lunch, Eastern Market and its Russell St. eateries is one of the best places you can take visitors [[or anyone!)!

Well, I would recommend The Hudson Cafe on Woodward [[near Campus Martius) for brunch or breakfast. There are many great lunch places in Detroit, so take your pick. If you want some of the best pizza in the midwest, try Supino Pizzeria in Eastern Market, which has fantastic thin crust or the aforementioned Russell St Deli. Dinner, again there is an overwhelming number of great restaurants. If you want "fine" dining try Roast in the Westin Book-Cadillac, if you want upscale but not overly expensive try El Barzon on Michigan Ave/Junction St. It's in a pretty mediocre neighborhood, but it has a full Italian and a full Mexican menu [[both are very good). For less expensive try the Grille Midtown or Union Street for good burgers/beer and what not. For casual drinks just hang out anywhere in Greektown.
    Last edited by Wings; July-31-14 at 07:20 AM.

If they're in town for a weekend, Eastern Market is definitely a good choice for Saturday. You can grab breakfast/brunch at Zeff's, Vivio's, or Farmers. Wander around the market for a bit, stop in at Bert's for the atmosphere/music. Hang out there for a bit, then grab some lunch there, Russell Street Deli, one of the food trucks, or Supino. Take a walk over to the Dequindre Cut. Continue on down to the Riverfront and stay downtown, or head back up to EM. Stop by Thomas Magee's for a drink or two, wander the market some more, check out Detroit Mercantile Co and grab dinner at Sala Thai or Roma while you're up there.

If you want to check out West Village, Craft Work and Rose's Fine Food are both new and interesting [[though I haven't tried either). You can stop by Indian Village and/or Belle Isle as well. Detroit Vegan Soul in that area is supposed to be wonderful as well. Atwater Brewery has a cool tap room, and isn't too far. There are a few other good options in the Rivertown area as well. Rattlesnake is wonderful, if you want more fine dining.