Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Dashboard

Seems like a pretty good idea. Another obvious one that makes you wonder why a previous administration didn't try it.

Of course it has to stay honest to be of any use, but here's hoping.

http://www.detroitmi.gov/DetroitDashboard.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    http://www.detroitmi.gov/DetroitDashboard.aspx

Seems like a pretty good idea. Another obvious one that makes you wonder why a previous administration didn't try it.

Of course it has to stay honest to be of any use, but here's hoping.
    The previous administrations were seriously IT-challenged. They did have some stuff available, but I didn't think it was very well presented or organized. The new administration is clearly trying to use IT to better advantage.

As you say, the information has to be both timely and credible to be useful. We will see if they maintain the site properly over time.

Snyder brought dashboards to the forefront.
    http://www.michigan.gov/midashboard

Not saying he was the first, but he has made it a priority.

Plus, many state and national programs will require state and local governments to create and update dashboards to keep track of performance measures.

How many potholes were filled?

The dashboard is a good step in an important direction.

Let's think positively and hope that it doesn't wither on the vine.

Would anyone know if an adult can buy a lot for a minor/teenager?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    Why can't a minor purchase a lot directly?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    A lot of what?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    A lot of what?
    Lot: slang or street language for the lottery, which is a form of gambling which involves the drawing of lots for a prize.

Actually my Father was a big proponent of buying property early in life. He used to tell me to get lots while you're young.....

Quote Originally Posted by jolla View Post
    Why can't a minor purchase a lot directly?
    A minor cannot purchase a lot directly because minors [[generally) lack the legal capacity to enter into contracts.

In the case where a property or investment is specifically intended for eventual ownership of a minor, we generally title the investment as "owned by MINOR'S NAME with ADULT'S NAME as Custodian".

In such title, the ownership is for the minor, but the adult is the person who has the legal authority to perform transactions such as buying and selling. Of course, with the legal authority also comes legal obligations to act solely in the interest of the minor.

Lastly, beware of putting investments in the name of a minor. Depending on in which state you reside, the title may automatically transfer out of the Custodian's Name and into the MINOR'S NAME at the 18th birthday, 21st birthday, etc.

Once that point takes place, the child can now do whatever they wish with the property without permission from the Custodian. Generally speaking, it may make more sense to buy it in the adult's name with the intention of transferring to the minor when the adult deems it appropriate.

*I am not an attorney.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    A minor cannot purchase a lot directly because minors [[generally) lack the legal capacity to enter into contracts.

In the case where a property or investment is specifically intended for eventual ownership of a minor, we generally title the investment as "owned by MINOR'S NAME with ADULT'S NAME as Custodian".

In such title, the ownership is for the minor, but the adult is the person who has the legal authority to perform transactions such as buying and selling. Of course, with the legal authority also comes legal obligations to act solely in the interest of the minor.

Lastly, beware of putting investments in the name of a minor. Depending on in which state you reside, the title may automatically transfer out of the Custodian's Name and into the MINOR'S NAME at the 18th birthday, 21st birthday, etc.

Once that point takes place, the child can now do whatever they wish with the property without permission from the Custodian. Generally speaking, it may make more sense to buy it in the adult's name with the intention of transferring to the minor when the adult deems it appropriate.

*I am not an attorney.
    But wouldn't a minor be able to buy property under their name with their own money is they had a co-signer who was above the age of 18 [[sort of like how a teenager can open a bank account as long as their parents/legal guardian sign onto the account as well)?

*I am also not an attorney

EDIT: Never mind, I see you already touched on my question...