Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Preparatory Work for M-1 Rail Begins

With a formal ground breaking September 15.

Can we use this thread to discuss initial work on the project.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...supporters-say

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    with a formal ground breaking September 15.http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...supporters-sayCan we use this thread to discuss initial work on the project?
    Notice how the Groundbreaking date was pushed from July 28 to September 15th? Prep work was supposedly started earlier this year. I had kept saying on this forum this a last minute change always happen the day or week before the actual groundbreaking. Who is playing games with the people. Snyder, Orr, or is it Illitch and Gilbert

Woodward is going to be shutdown for a good stretch starting tomorrow, I'd say groundbreaking is tomorrow, regardless of ceremony.

That rendering though. They could have at least made it look like that area would be repaved by the time the train runs through.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    That rendering though. They could have at least made it look like that area would be repaved by the time the train runs through.
    Ha. Ditto!

I'm interested to see how the stations will look? All these conceptual renderings, can we get something "Official". Stop with the foolery. Build the damn thing already!

http://m-1rail.com/construction/construction-schedule/

Also occurring July 28th... er right now/today:

Northbound Woodward from Watston to MLK will be closed [[traffic shift).

Most other closures will start in August.
    Last edited by animatedmartian; July-28-14 at 02:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Notice how the Groundbreaking date was pushed from July 28 to September 15th? Prep work was supposedly started earlier this year. I had kept saying on this forum this a last minute change always happen the day or week before the actual groundbreaking. Who is playing games with the people. Snyder, Orr, or is it Illitch and Gilbert
    LOL I don't see how this is any different than a restaurant having a soft opening then having a grand opening weeks later. Also, did you read the part that Mayor Duggan, Penske, and Cullen will be on site today to review the start of construction?

Construction has started. End of discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    LOL I don't see how this is any different than a restaurant having a soft opening then having a grand opening weeks later. Also, did you read the part that Mayor Duggan, Penske, and Cullen will be on site today to review the start of construction?

Construction has started. End of discussion.
    Agree.

Groundbreaking September for the new arena.

I think things are proceeding very nicely.

In the last 8 days I've read of the arena plans, 9 restaurants opening and today's 'groundbreaking' for M-1.

I would think a lot of Detroiters would be on Cloud 9 with optimism and hope. Lot of cities would love to have this happening in their downtown.

Too many "Debby Downers" in the Detroit area.

From personal experience "Ground breaking events" are orchestrated for a time when all the principles are available and fit the schedule and often have little to do with when the first contractor on the job site starts to do some work.

Article with 'indisputable visual evidence' that work has begun.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...ew-day-Detroit

Of course, some doubting Thomas might say: "Until I can put my fingers in the beds where the rails are, I will not believe..."

Article with 'indisputable visual evidence' that work has begun.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...ew-day-Detroit

Of course, some doubting Thomas might say: "Until I can put my fingers in the beds where the rails are, I will not believe..."
    I'm no construction expert but I would have thought sweeping up came a little later in the process.

TennisAndMath Guest

Who gets the blame when this fails? Let me guess, it's my fault for not supporting it? "They wanted it to fail from the get-go! It never had a chance! It's 'their' fault for not approving another $250M to extend this to Royal Oak!" Then a couple of years after it fails, some other lame brain idea will be the 'next big thing.' Does nobody in Detroit realize you're living "Groundhogs Day" [[1993)?

$140M would have given Detroit a WORLD CLASS [[natural gas[[?), top of the line) bus fleet to serve the entire region. Instead you build a 3 mile rail. Literally unbelievable.
    Last edited by TennisAndMath; July-28-14 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TennisAndMath View Post
    Who gets the blame when this fails? Let me guess, it's my fault for not supporting it? "They wanted it to fail from the get-go! It never had a chance! It's 'their' fault for not approving another $250M to extend this to Royal Oak!" Then a couple of years after it fails, some other lame brain idea will be the 'next big thing.' Does nobody in Detroit realize you're living "Groundhogs Day" [[1993)?

$140M would have given Detroit a WORLD CLASS [[natural gas[[?), top of the line) bus fleet to serve the entire region. Instead you build a 3 mile rail. Literally unbelievable.

it's 90% private money you thick-headed people, I can't believe how nobody understands that yet.. you want to bit*h and moan about where private investors money goes? go make 120 million and do it yourself...

Yup we have been living in Groundhog Day for the past 45 years. Economic and demographic stagnation. Why? Because we refuse to invest in public works and our urban core like other cities have. Instead we continue to sprawl out as our streets, lighting, and population grow older.

Show me a world class city that relies only on buses for the transit.

Yup we have been living in Groundhog Day for the past 45 years. Economic and demographic stagnation. Why? Because we refuse to invest in public works and our urban core like other cities have. Instead we continue to sprawl out as our streets, lighting, and population grow older.

Interestingly enough, the Republican National Committee ruled out Columbus, OH as the site of its 2016 convention, specifically because it didn't have rail transit to transport the conventioneers. The GOP went with [[deep-blue) Cleveland instead.

http://thehill.com/policy/transporta...convention-bid

I guess they didn't want a repeat of Tampa 2012, where delegates were left waiting until 3 AM for shuttle buses to arrive at the convention hall.
    Last edited by ghettopalmetto; July-28-14 at 01:53 PM.

Here comes the People Mover, Part 2. The DSR is back.

TennisAndMath Guest

I think your 45 year Groundhog Day has more to do with your kids not going to or caring about school and the politicians you continue voting for looting the city.

I'll turn that question back to you, how many "world class cities" have a 3 mile trolley to nowhere? You ever heard the expression "You gotta crawl before you ball"? Detroit is so freaking far from being a world class city. It likely never will be again. So stop trying to replicate a world class city. Start from the bottom. Your busses are in shambles, so update the fleet and make them safe.
    Last edited by TennisAndMath; July-28-14 at 03:08 PM.

BTW, am I reading Bill's Crains article correctly that the contract for the streetcars is to be awarded within two weeks? [[actually I got confused on this time period and the much later dates in the article).

Coleman Young on the M-1 Rail Project.

"HAHAHAH!!!! Just what the city needs, another DSR system. I am against it from the beginning since that d--- choo choo train can't role pass 8 Mile Rd. without the white folks permission. Since its private dollars running the project instead of city dollars, let them tear up Woodward Ave. and lay some tracks. If folks are not riding it, I'm ain't riding it. If that train to somewhere is going nowhere, I will be their white corporate A----s!"

I think your 45 year Groundhog Day has more to do with your kids not going to or caring about school and the politicians you continue voting for looting the city.

I'll turn that question back to you, how many "world class cities" have a 3 mile trolley to nowhere? You ever heard the expression "You gotta crawl before you ball"? Detroit is so freaking far from being a world class city. It likely never will be again. So stop trying to replicate a world class city. Start from the bottom. Your busses are in shambles, so update the fleet and make them safe.
    Well, for one I don't live in the city. But I don't need to to see that METRO DETROIT is probably the most provincial, back-asswards metropolitan region in America. The suburbs seem glamerous and liveable, but they have no idea the boost they could get from a thriving, vibrant inner city. Instead they think if Detroit gets better, they sink, when it's if Detroit gets better, we all get better.

Tennis and Math, you're not the first person [[nor the last unfortunately) to come on this forum and berate everything positive in the city and try to make us think nothing good can come out of Detroit and that Detroit will never get better. You have no depth in your arguements and when presented with facts you will simply ignore them.

No world class city has a 3 mile tram to "nowhere" [[of course connecting the three most important neighborhoods in the city is not nowhere). Luckily, I believe this is the start of a tram system that will help Detroit become more vibrant and urban.

Well, for one I don't live in the city. But I don't need to to see that METRO DETROIT is probably the most provincial, back-asswards metropolitan region in America. The suburbs seem glamerous and liveable, but they have no idea the boost they could get from a thriving, vibrant inner city. Instead they think if Detroit gets better, they sink, when it's if Detroit gets better, we all get better.

Tennis and Math, you're not the first person [[nor the last unfortunately) to come on this forum and berate everything positive in the city and try to make us think nothing good can come out of Detroit and that Detroit will never get better. You have no depth in your arguements and when presented with facts you will simply ignore them.

No world class city has a 3 mile tram to "nowhere" [[of course connecting the three most important neighborhoods in the city is not nowhere). Luckily, I believe this is the start of a tram system that will help Detroit become more vibrant and urban.
    Yes, and we mustn't forget that the massive streetcar system was relinquished long before CAY came about. The elements that spelled decline were not steered by a black populace or black politicos. I think a lot of Detroit woes can be attributed to Afro-American despair, a certain waywardness in public affairs, lack of business acumen and education, lack of connectivity that accelerated the crime, and general demise. To deny that is equal to denying the responsibility of former leaders whose job it was to prepare the city's integration and promote a multiplicity of opportunities via better transit, urban planning, etc... But often on this forum these themes are summarily dealt with in an either/or fashion.

Agree.

Groundbreaking September for the new arena.

I think things are proceeding very nicely.

In the last 8 days I've read of the arena plans, 9 restaurants opening and today's 'groundbreaking' for M-1.

I would think a lot of Detroiters would be on Cloud 9 with optimism and hope. Lot of cities would love to have this happening in their downtown.

Too many "Debby Downers" in the Detroit area.
    Correct, ground is broken. They are not going to close down lower Woodward for nothing until 9/15. 9/15 is the date that they'll grab front page headlines again just for fun, and show off whatever progress has been made.

I want more big news please. Time for Bedrock to start building on the Hudson Block! Here's what we know: they will release the renderings, and then they'll be off to the races. Gilbert does not make us wait.

One thing I read about M-1 in the papers: Doesn't go far enough.

Fair enough.

I question is where are the employment hubs [[besides those within the 3 mile M-1 route)?

Are there enough employment 'hubs' along Woodward between New Center and 8 mile?

One thing which hasn't been mentioned about the D.C. area subway system are the large number of employment hubs along much of the routes [[D.C. area employment hubs are both centralized in the central city, downtown, but also sprawled all over the region).

E.g., Va has the Pentagon, Ballston, Crystal City, Pentagon City, etc. and of course now Tysons Corner [[and many more).

D.C.'s downtown is full of employment centers [[from Foggy Bottom-George Washington through say Union Station) which are accessible via blue, orange, or red lines [[and now the silver).

If I were to design an extended M-1 [[okay I'm dreaming here), I would take it to at least 8 mile with stops at 8 mile, 7 mile, 6 mile, etc. and have different bus lines running east/west along those mile roads making a circular [[out and back) route at Woodward.

E.g., a FEEDER bus goes southbound on Woodward from 8 Mile to 7 Mile dropping off folks at 7 Mile M-1 before routing west bound on 7 Mile to Southfield service drive and then heading north to 8 Mile and then head east bound to Woodward at M-1 station. A circular bus route which covers a big route but also feeds M-1.

[[And do the same thing with a local feeder line for the areas east of Woodward).

Anyone living near Woodward, 8 mile, 7 mile and the western perimeter [[whatever that might be. e.g. Southfield service drive) should be roughly 1/2 mile or less from a bus line. They could, if desired, transfer to M-1 and go along Woodward to their final destination headed toward downtown.

So if a person was working at a fast foot restaurant on 8 mile but lived near 7 mile, they could get on the circular bus and it would get them there. If they worked downtown, that would also work nicely.
    Last edited by emu steve; July-29-14 at 09:03 AM.

We're still two years away and people already want an extension, apparently. This is great press for those who want regional transit. When Duggan is reelected and M1 is up and running and spurring the next level of midtown and downtown investment, it will be politically feasible to put together funding for an Oakland county extension, being it streetcar or the current BRT plan. Oh, and that will be the year after the anticipated RTA millage vote. Mark your calendars for 2016-2017.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...-go-far-enough

TennisAndMath Guest

Why would you extend it to 8 Mile? Nobody lives there and there's no reason to travel to 8 and Woodward. Unless you think the black lawyers and doctors in Palmer Woods are going to ride this thing to work. [[Never gonna happen.) You guys are so unpractical... and you're talking about a $200M+ project. I think even if you put this thing immediately to Royal Oak you probably wouldn't see ridership go off the charts. I don't think white collar folks in the region care about mass transit, like at all. Becky and Jacob in Royal Oak have free parking [[unlike Chicago, where it's usually $100-300 per month to park at apt) and love their Jetta and Grand Cherokee.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast