Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit within the video game "The Crew"

The Crew is a racing game with the idea that the whole United States is one derivable open-world map. One of the cities included in the game is Detroit. A closed beta was released for the game that allows you to drive around Detroit and parts of suburban Michigan as well as a few other major cities like Miami and Chicago. Obviously it's very stylized and some of the landmarks are not exactly where they should be [[plus everything looks way out of scale), but plenty landmarks big and small are visible and it does a good job of creating the vibe of Detroit from what I can see.

How much of Metro Detroit will be featured?

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    The Crew is a racing game with the idea that the whole United States is one derivable open-world map. One of the cities included in the game is Detroit. A closed beta was released for the game that allows you to drive around Detroit and parts of suburban Michigan as well as a few other major cities like Miami and Chicago. Obviously it's very stylized and some of the landmarks are not exactly where they should be [[plus everything looks way out of scale), but plenty landmarks big and small are visible and it does a good job of creating the vibe of Detroit from what I can see.

I used to love racing games when I was a kid, and I thought playing Cruisin' USA in the arcade was the bomb...boy, things have come a long way...

Very impressive. I don't play video games anymore but it's amazing how they recreated the landmarks. Downtown is especially good. Then you end up in "West English Village" as an East English Village resident, I couldn't help but snicker.

That's essentially how I drive on a daily basis through Detroit so I don't really need to play the game, though.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    How much of Metro Detroit will be featured?
    From the video, it looks like there's Grosse Pointe, Dearborn, and Bloomfield but they're very general. GP has mansions along the lake front, Bloomfield seems to be mostly big green parks, and Dearborn is a burnt out vacant section of Detroit. There's also a huge steel factory south of the city representing the Marathon Refinery and/or the Ford River Rouge Plant.

On the map, Mackinaw Bridge leads straight out of Detroit [[from 8 Mile) to the UP and the Ambassador Bridge leads into an industrial area in Canada/directly into Ohio.

Last edited by animatedmartian; July-27-14 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post

That's essentially how I drive on a daily basis through Detroit so I don't really need to play the game, though.
    Doesn't everyone, though?

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    From the video, it looks like there's Grosse Pointe, Dearborn, and Bloomfield but they're very general. GP has mansions along the lake front, Bloomfield seems to be mostly big green parks, and Dearborn is a burnt out vacant section of Detroit. There's also a huge steel factory south of the city representing the Marathon Refinery and/or the Ford River Rouge Plant.

On the map, Mackinaw Bridge leads straight out of Detroit [[from 8 Mile) to the UP and the Ambassador Bridge leads into an industrial area in Canada/directly into Ohio.
    I assume that Grosse Pointe is a stand-in for Macomb County, Dearborn a stand-in for western and Downriver Wayne and Bloomfield a stand-in for Oakland?

I also notice that the northern end of Chicago actually straddles the UP and that Cleveland is replaced with a jagged beach.

Anyways, to the OP: is there a large map showing the entire country and where did you get the beta from? From the map that's posted, I now know that NYC will also be in it.
    Last edited by mtburb; July-27-14 at 02:01 PM.

always thought detroit metro would make a fun race course in a video game.

theres some fun hills and curves in the area.

still in beta? maybe they can add all the potholes before it ships...
    while i do see some grafiti, i think they should probably add more.
    Last edited by compn; July-27-14 at 03:27 PM.

This is so fantastic! They even got the murals at Eastern Market, love it!

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    I assume that Grosse Pointe is a stand-in for Macomb County, Dearborn a stand-in for western and Downriver Wayne and Bloomfield a stand-in for Oakland?

I also notice that the northern end of Chicago actually straddles the UP and that Cleveland is replaced with a jagged beach.

Anyways, to the OP: is there a large map showing the entire country and where did you get the beta from? From the map that's posted, I now know that NYC will also be in it.
    I haven't gotten the beta personally [[usually there's a sign up at the video game's website or something and they give out codes at random), and all of these are images from the internet.

Here's a map in high-res but it's cluttered with icons [[with a comparison to the GTA V map).

http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/file...7o-ir-b428.png

And here's a road map minus the topography.

http://i.imgur.com/CYFxKpk.jpg
    Last edited by animatedmartian; July-27-14 at 07:13 PM.

Bumping this to remind you that the beta will reopen to everyone on August 25th.

Holy heck mtburb, thank you for letting me know. I've been looking for a good racing game that would engage me and this might be it! Again, thank you!

UPDATE: It appears that this is no longer the case, the tweet that referred to the reopening of the beta has been deleted.

UPDATE 2: The beta reopening will actually take place after all-the 25th through the 29th. Here's a direct link: http://thecrew-game.ubi.com/portal/e...eta/index.aspx [[some registration required)

See you all in Detroit between those dates.
    Last edited by mtburb; August-08-14 at 03:27 PM.

Well, guess what: I just signed up for the PC closed beta that's taking place between the 25th and the 29th! You know where I'll be and where you guys will be if you also signed up.

What self-respecting Detroiter races a Nissan through the city streets?

After watching a few other videos-Highland Park, Hamtramck and Warren confirmed.

Also, that steel plant south of the city could also represent Great Lakes Steel or even BASF. In addition, on the official forum, an amusement park near the city has been confirmed and could represent Cedar Point.

The game designers knew Detroit pretty well. I am impressed! They got Corktown and Eastern Market bang on. Downtown was pretty close too - I don't think I saw Rosa Parks bus terminal but I am pretty sure I saw the Holiday Inn and Westin buildings at the Michigan-Washington intersection. Damn good for a video game I must say.

I'm currently downloading the PC beta-I'll let you know if any place I'm familiar with is included in the game, maybe even a couple screenshots.

I do know that two of my former hometowns, Dearborn and Warren, will be included, I highly doubt my houses in both cities will be in the game though.

Played it a bit and here's the screenshots.

Notice any difference from real life?

Notice any difference from real life here too?

This somewhat looks a teeny bit like the real Michigan Avenue through at least eastern Dearborn.

Actually reminds me of Trenton and Romulus.

This Monroe is the one in Michigan.

This actually reminds me a bit of my trip through Jackson County in very early January 2012.

Am I the only one who thinks this actually looks similar to the Grosse Ile Toll Bridge?

MCS.

Nice and accurate details...BTW, that traffic light [[with that huge red light) actually reminded me of the ones that used to hang off mast arms along Livernois in the 1980's and 1990's.

Yes, the People Mover cars read "WEEKNIGHTS AT 11 PM"-all that's missing is Huel Perkins' face and the Fox 2 News logo.
    Last edited by mtburb; August-25-14 at 07:13 PM.

Thanks for the screenshots. It's not a perfect representation, but pretty believable. Especially for anyone who isn't actually familiar with the area. Surprised to the the Freep and News in there.

I got to play about half an hour prior to having to work this morning, excited to get to play more. The representation is obviously not perfect due to the nature of the game, but driving past Michigan Central and the Fox [[which is the Owl in game) was great. Your first race is even at "Clay Industrial Center, which is a fairly accurate representation of the Russell Industrial Center. Still playing, but a pretty dang cool thing I wouldn't have known about otherwise.