Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default 9 new dining spots in Downtown Detroit; more on the way

When will it ever end? The roll call of new eateries is getting difficult to keep track of as seen in this Freep.com Article. I've only made it to two on the list - Ottava Via and La Feria - loved the first - the second was so so but they had just opened and I hear they have improved greatly.

Any reviews or thoughts? BTW the Freep use of term downtown is rather broad. Here is the roll call.

Wright & Co., 1500 Woodward: in the stately old Wright Kay building in the heart of downtown at Woodward and John R.

Antietam, 1428 Gratiot: This meticulously restored Art Deco spot in the Eastern Market district opened softly last week.

Taqo Detroit, 22 W. Adams: Opened July 1, this three-level, 5,000-square-foot restaurant features a big Mexican menu.

Downtown Louie’s Lounge, 30 Clifford: A hidden gem just west of Woodward and south of Grand Circus Park

Ottava Via, 1400 Michigan: Set in an atmospheric old bank… Patio with fireplace in back.

Two James Spirits, 2445 Michigan: first licensed distillery in Detroit since Prohibition… doesn't serve food yet..

La Feria, 4130 Cass: charming tapas place near Wayne

Craft Work, 8047 Agnes: Set in the artfully renovated former Harlequin Café in historic West Village

The Grille Midtown, 3919 Woodward: New building next to restored theater

On the way

Top of the Pontch, 2 Washington Blvd.: contemporary fine-dining menu should be a match for the sweeping view and impressive room.

Selden Standard, 3921 Second near Honest? Johns
    Guns + Butter, 1301 Broadway

Republic, 1942 Grand River: Set in the castle-like GAR Building at Grand River and Cass.

Gold Cash Gold, Wabash and Michigan: Thanks to a two-year rehab involving Corktown’s Cooley family, a onetime pawnshop with “Gold Cash Gold” emblazoned on its side

Dime Store, 719 Griswold: In the Dime Bldg.

7-11: Hot Dogs, Taquitos, Slurpees! Yumm breakfast of champions!

What about Jose's Tacos located in the old Al's Harmonie Cafe? Awesome REAL Mexican food!!

Soon enough, downtown will begin to rival Birmingham, Grosse Pointe, Royal Oak and Dearborn-but I believe we in Downriver should probably try something to join in on the game too, even though we already have some similar fare-and a world-record-breaking dining spot!

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Two James Spirits, 2445 Michigan: first licensed distillery in Detroit since Prohibition… doesn't serve food yet..
    Does it need to serve food?

More restaurants are always great news for a downtown area.

Prompted by this I did lunch at The Grille Midtown. Food and service were outstanding. Slightly pricey [Union Street equivalent] but well worth it. Here are a couple of snaps.

The bar [mid afternoon but was packed when I arrived].

Booth near entrance and reception desk.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Does it need to serve food?

More restaurants are always great news for a downtown area.
    No it does not. I can't say enough how much I love their bourbon. But they will be serving in near future from what I hear, they'll be having a food truck[[s) on site.

A lot of good news as of late with new businesses, new residential apartment announcements, but I'm still greedy though let's get even more.

I don't mean to rudely interfere with a thread about new places, but a pastrami sammich from the Russell St. Deli [[Eastern Market) is a wonderful, unforgettable thing

Nothing rude about that!

Lowell, so true, it's a veritable flurry of activity and I see it continuing. The food scene will truly be one of the things that carries us ahead.

Enter Bham with negativity in 3......2.....1.....

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    No it does not. I can't say enough how much I love their bourbon. But they will be serving in near future from what I hear, they'll be having a food truck[[s) on site.
    Hqven't been there yet but looking forward to tasting their bourbon. I did see it for sale at my local store at $60 a bottle. Pretty pricey for a bourbon with no age statement on the bottle. If they distilled it then it can't be very old because they have not been open long. If they acquired it from another distiller like LDI in Indiana [[like many other new distillers do) then it might have some time in the barrel. At any rate I would need to know this info before I drop my $60. Lots of really good aged bourbons out there for less than $30, like Elijah Craig 12 yr for $25. I've been a whiskey/bourbon aficionado for many years but it is a bit distressing to see the crazyness of the current boom market for this stuff. Prices and availability are insane.

What's the name of the new restaurant on Broadway in the former City Warehouse store? Karan? It looks like a mediterranean restaurant.

OK, review time

Wife took me to Antietam for my birthday, as she knows I like places with funky decor.

Antietam is the Frankenstein's monster of restaurants - in a good way. It's built of parts of other buildings. Roughly hewn lumber on the walls, random bar stools from diners, salvaged lighting fixtures and hardware. The bathroom smells like 100-year old sawdust [[the only other place I've smelled that is at Greenfield Village)

You can tell it's brand new - there was a maitre D' and a hostess, and I'm not sure why both of them needed to get our table ready, but we got to our reserved table quickly nonetheless. Drinks are very good. Not quite Sugar House or Woodward novelty good, but excellent for a restaurant. The menu is limited, as is to be expected for a brand spanking new kitchen, but the offerings are very well done. The bar got my drink order wrong, but the waiter immediately fixed it, so they get extra credit for that.

Everything ran very well, considering it's a brand new restaurant. I've been to big name restaurants a month after opening and encountered severe problems. Hats off to the management and crew.

The only other problem I noticed was the address of the restaurant is the storefront containing the second dining room, not the main entrance. A few people tried to get in through the second storefront, which is locked. Not super confusing, but a problem that could be easily fixed.

So^ how was the food?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    So^ how was the food?
    Who goes to an eatery for food? Its all about being part of the in crowd. Want good eats? You can go to Big Boy.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Who goes to an eatery for food? Its all about being part of the in crowd.
    Unfortunately, that is so true.

Cafe Al-Karar 1368 Broadway just opened today.

Quote Originally Posted by tarkus View Post
    Cafe Al-Karar 1368 Broadway just opened today.
    For those that don't know, this is Al's Paradise Café's new location